Longer ignition/crank time with 5W-40 Dexos2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,
In a previous thread we discussed the owners manual requirement for my 2016 Camaro SS to use Dexos2 5W-40 on are road course/ track day due to elevated oil temperature.
Last week I replaced my oil after 1500 miles break-in to Valvoline Synpower MST 5W-40 Dexos2 (http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf). Since the switch I noticed that cold start ignition crack takes another 1-1.5 seconds. Is this normal?
confused2.gif

Thanks for all you help

Last edited:
How does it run once its warm? Did you go to a different oil filter?

I would not worry. 5w30 Oil is a LOT thicker near freezing than that 40 grade is at 10C.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
How does it run once its warm? Did you go to a different oil filter?

I would not worry. 5w30 Oil is a LOT thicker near freezing than that 40 grade is at 10C.

Same oil filter (stock) . The engine seems to run normal. Also If I restart it again after it's warm (stopped for 30 min coffee) , the ignition crank time is "normal" (not long).
However, every morning the crank is a little longer than what it used to be (1-1.5 second).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbar1
Hi guys,
In a previous thread we discussed the owners manual requirement for my 2016 Camaro SS to use Dexos2 5W-40 on are road course/ track day due to elevated oil temperature.
Last week I replaced my oil after 1500 miles break-in to Valvoline Synpower MST 5W-40 Dexos2 (http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf). Since the switch I noticed that cold start ignition crack takes another 1-1.5 seconds. Is this normal?
confused2.gif

Thanks for all you help

What oil did your car come with, 5W-40? An additional "1-1.5 second" cranking time is really almost not measurable in real world operation without expensive instruments. Even so, it's nothing to worry about, enjoy your new car and drive it for a long time.

Whimsey

Hi guys,
confused2.gif

Thanks for all you help

Maybe in the dead of winter in subzero temps, not during the dog days of summer.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

What oil did your car come with, 5W-40? An additional "1-1.5 second" cranking time is really almost not measurable in real world operation without expensive instruments. Even so, it's nothing to worry about, enjoy your new car and drive it for a long time.

Whimsey

Thanks. The car came with stock Mobil 1 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
How old is your car battery?

+1 Even though it's a new car.

Also check your battery connections.

I think it's fairly normal for a cold start to be slightly longer than a restart, even in hot summer temps. But if you begin to notice an increase in the delay it's usually battery related in my experience. I just replaced my failed battery today and had ignored a slightly increasing cold start time for months.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Hi guys,
confused2.gif

Thanks for all you help

Maybe in the dead of winter in subzero temps, not during the dog days of summer.

IF he had jumped all the way up to a heavier 20W-50, or 10W-60, I would expect a hair longer crank time at first cold start of the day, even in the dead of summer.

But probably not from just going up to even a Euro spec 5W-40.

Even if your car is new, some batteries fail early.

It happened to my 2010 Lancer Ralliart. I know the factory battery was replaced because cars built in Japan because they tend to use Yuasa or Panasonic. The battery that was under the hood when I got it was a JCI battery with Mitsubishi logos on it.

I think the same thing happened to one of my mom's cars, but I don't remember for sure.

Happened to my 2010 Colt Ralliart too... Mitsubishi battery lasted only 3 years.
Mistubishi/Smart branded battery my gf's 2005 Smart Forfour lasted 10 years and was replaced only because I found a new one for cheap...old battery still in service in the Barchetta !

That said, above ~10°C, I haven't noticed any cranking difference between 0W40/5W40/10W40/10W60/15W50 I tried over the years in my diesel (I know, starter motor probably overkill in diesel engines). Engine smoothness after start-up is another thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back