Fire&Ice motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy 4th of July everyone. When did Fire&Ice motor oil stop being distributed or sold? Couldn't find much info on it but tons about TropArtic

I had a case of Shell Fire & Ice in fiber cans that I used up back in the late eighties.
It probably went into our '86 Civic Wagovan and would have been 10W-40. I would have bought it with some sort of MIR making it a deal. At that time, you typically had to send in some sort of printed seal from each container. You could easily cut this from the label without damaging the can enough to make it leak using a single edge razor blade. I don't remember whether these cans had UPCs at the time or not but I don't think that typical store receipts then had enough detail to be acceptable proofs of purchase on their own.
IIRC, a case of oil was then still 24 qts.
The label had a silver background with red and blue type.
I don't think that this trade name survived the mid eighties.
The DIY market must have been larger back then, since Fire & Ice was actually advertised on network television as were others.
Shell had a rather dramatic TV ad in which a Granada, using Fire & Ice of course, was chipped out of a solid block of ice and was then started with a mere turn of the key.
You might be able to find this on youtube.

Thank you sir for that info and yes I found that YouTube clip. Very cool
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I had a case of Shell Fire & Ice in fiber cans that I used up back in the late eighties.
It probably went into our '86 Civic Wagovan and would have been 10W-40. I would have bought it with some sort of MIR making it a deal. At that time, you typically had to send in some sort of printed seal from each container. You could easily cut this from the label without damaging the can enough to make it leak using a single edge razor blade. I don't remember whether these cans had UPCs at the time or not but I don't think that typical store receipts then had enough detail to be acceptable proofs of purchase on their own.
IIRC, a case of oil was then still 24 qts.
The label had a silver background with red and blue type.
I don't think that this trade name survived the mid eighties.
The DIY market must have been larger back then, since Fire & Ice was actually advertised on network television as were others.
Shell had a rather dramatic TV ad in which a Granada, using Fire & Ice of course, was chipped out of a solid block of ice and was then started with a mere turn of the key.
You might be able to find this on youtube.

Fire and Ice was sold and marketed until at least 1999.

I had F&I when there was an auto parts chain in So Cal had it for 59 cents a quart 1 or 2 times a quarter. That auto parts chain bought by O'Reilly 15-20 years ago.

Actually Fire and Ice was available until around 2004. The F&I 2k was in new plastic bottles.
Silver label was 10w40.
Gold label was a 10w50.

Never seen Fire & Ice in plastic bottles like that, neat to see!

Had no idea it was around that long, thought it switched over to being 'Formula Shell' by the late 1990's.

Thanks for the pics!

I used a case or two of that stuff in the mid- or late 80s. If I recall correctly, it tended to make sludge more than most other brands of 10W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back