Amalie / carquest branded synthetic oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any recent experience with amalie oil? Since aap bought carquest, the carquest oil aap carries is from what i can tell amalie elixar. I can get an awesome price on a case, but I dont know anything about it, really. All threads on it seem to be from the mid 2000s.

Before bad info gets passed around, lets be real clear who made Carquest and AAP in the past and who's currently making it.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Amalie has bogus recommendations if you dig into their website. I don't care if it's good or not.

Like what? They all have made them...

About Amalie

They've been around for over a hundred years. It's not like they're someone "new." They also own Wolfs Head Oils. A regional auto parts supplier near me uses their oils extensively, which includes a lot of commercial accounts. I used Amsoil Mercon V ATF in my last transmission fluid change.

They are legit, they have the Tampa Bay Lightning's arena naming rights...
smile.gif

Amalie as a name has been around forever,but the company that currently owns the name is not the original Sonnaborn family that named Amalie after a relative.Amalie went from Whitco to Sun Oil then on to Petroleum Packaging which is the current Tampa Florida based company.They make their own bottles and also blend oils for other companies that don't have facilities to do it themself.Whitco owned Kendall and Amalie in the 1990s but sold their operations off and PP,seeing the Amalie name "wither" away,decided to obtain the name and rebuild it.Unfortunately some things are done on the cheap...they renumbered their 527/539 numbering system over a decade ago to 160-series,yet some packaging still refers to the old system.Yet they make their own bottles and labels!

Their website (amaliestore.com) offers GREAT DEALS with free shipping over $39 (last time I checked). Their SUSTF (Super Universal Synthetic Transmission Fluid) is great stuff. No sales tax to 49 states, great prices, free shipping....what else do you want? Kira

I used their synthetic oil from September until May (this/last year). Got a deal on a case. I can't really say it was "good"...my car didn't seam to "like" it. In 6,000 mile intervals I used a couple quarts of oil, which is more than I'd go through with say, Mobil 1 or another name brand. And my engine was a little noisy on it.

Having said that, it's not like I did a UOA and sent it to Blackstone...and it's not like my car is junk now. I just feel a little more comfortable using a better brand name right now because of it.

I got a great deal on some old stock carquest red filters. They have the yellow writing on top so they're supposed to be frams from what I read. I was looking at the synthetic oil too cause I can get it so cheap... but from what I hear it might be better to just stick with "name brand" stuff.

The carquest blue with yellow writing looked exactly like the mobil 1 filter, to a t. They were much more expensive, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back