Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Lotus will do fine on either...my Parent's 1974 Renault 16 ran 380,000km on dino 20W50 before the odo broke and they drove another 5 years after that.

A Renault with 3800000Km+ ???
I guess they bought the car made during a management visit at the plant!

/Sorry joke, couldn't resist. Renault 16 was a nice car back in the days.

Popsy,
we went from a family of 5 in a Datsun 120Y (the 510 specced 5W20 up to -10C) with 800km trips, and a wheelchair (my sister's) jammed between the driver's seat and the back seat as it couldn't fit in the boot...I still sit in the semi lotus every waking moment.

We got the 16TL, and...well, it was luxury.

Legend has it that as the Renaults and Peugeots came into Oz CKD, and there were reliability issues, some were dismantled and reinspected on arrival...according to the brothers at Alpine Motors in Canberra, who identified "the marks"...it got 280k km on the original clutch, around the same time needed the tranny axle seals inset to stop leakage....poor thing ended up crackingthe windscreen traversing a roundabout, the body gave up.

Nice story there
smile.gif
The R16 is becoming trendy nowadays, saw many of them at the recent "Brittany tour" it's funny how people are nostalgic of old cars, and the R16 especially "a marqué son temps".
When I was young my parents had a Renault 25 GTX (2,2L - 120hp). That was almost a luxurious car back in the day. Very roomy and comfy, I remember sitting for hundred of kilometres on the flour between the driver seat and the back seat!
/Sorry for OT

For some reason I always see more old (80s or older) Peugeots on the road than Citroen or Renault when going through France. Maybe more Citroen as Renault aswell... rust more of an issue?

The R25 was always a nice car though!

Last edited:
I don't think rust is really the factor, since old Peugeot rust like old Citroën (some Citroën don't rust, like the XM, some were rusty as soon as they quit the factory, like the early CX) or old Renault, I think it is mostly a question of reputation, and maybe design.
People almost never criticize old Peugeot here ! And their rating is higher than equivalent Renault/Citroën. They got some nice designs, the 205/405/406/505/605...look classical and still elegant...some Renault can't say the same, like the R5 "supercinq"/R18/R19/R21...seriously !

Citroën are a different thing, there is a lot of "Citroën clubs" with people going crazy over what we call "hydraulic Citroëns" ! Even some magazines about Citroën only. But you don't see these collectors on the road, only once in a while! My friend has a BX 16s (1905cm3 - 160 hp), and I have to say, in the France of 1986 it must have been a really exciting car.

Maybe also the customers of the different Brands, Peugeot was regarded as a very serious brand (before the 80's) and it kept this image (maybe not now however), I know lots of old people with old Peugeot.

And then we can talk about engines, Peugeot/Citroën had some fun and reliable engines for the time, like the GTI engines, declined with 16 valves and/or turbo, some lively little engines like the 1294 cm3 in the AX sport and 106/205 Rallye, or the 1360cm3 with twin carb, even the turbodiesels were refined and reliable (at the time) and sold to Rover. Renault had some antiqued OHC designs, sometimes unreliable, even some unreliable diesels. And the newer engines with OHC were not really fascinating (not talking about the 1,8L 16s which was lacking torke or the 2,0L 16s in the Clio Williams which was rarer as hen's tooth !).

Just my opinion here, but if I had to pick a French car from the 80's or 90's, I'd most probably pick a Peugeot or Citroën over a Renault. In fact when I bought my Barchetta, I was looking for an AX Sport
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CATERHAM
I couldn't disagree more with your mechanic's suggestion to run a 20W-50 as some sort of protection in the event an oil pick-up problem.
That antiquated grade has no business in your tight modern engine. Your oil pump will be deep in relief reducing oil flow and raising oil temp's. A bad idea that I know a Corvette race engineer would quickly dismiss.

It is prudent to be aware of the possibility of an oil pick-up issue with your wet sumped engine which is why I suggested you keep your oil level at the maximum level at the track. If you have an oil pressure gauge, something I always recommend for any car that's tracked, then you'll know if it's an issue and under what conditions. And you need a gauge to read in real time, data logging after the fact is too late.
I know with some wet sumped older Corvette's overfilling the sump with up to a full quart is recommended especially when running slicks at the track.
Having said that, with your oil level on max' I would be surprised if your CTS-V on street tires would not be able to maintain solid oil pressure while cornering at the limit in both left and right high speed corners.

Modern engines ARE LOSE, not tight!!

Found this discussion to be one of the cornerstones and foundations of BITOG-thin vs thick oil discussion. Two other BITOG dialectics could have been discussed; namely lower saps vs higher saps and group 3 vs group 4/5 oils.

The Total Quartz MC3 5w30-a mid saps oil that is likely predominantly group 3 performed exemplary even compared to high saps Redline 5w30 predominantly group 4 with some group 5 as well.

Bumped up because felt the debate within the responses was educational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back