Valve Cover Pics - Ford Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.
1998 Ford Ranger, 2.5 4-cylinder, manual trans, 114,000 miles. Very clean I'm happy to say. We've had this truck since it had 32k on it (It's my son's now) and it's done a lot of short trips when I drove it so the mileage is low for it's age. Oil change history since I bought it has been mostly Chevron 5w/30 conventional but I've also tried a smattering of other oils along the way, usually a 3k to 4k change interval. I know some would say that's wasting oil, but look at how clean she is!!!

Merk will be proud
grin2.gif

I don't know if this one was built in Lima or not but I can tell you it's the twin of the 2.3L Pinto engines I had when I was a kid... This one runs smoother and has a bit more power than the old Pinto engines, but still, a pretty anemic little power-plant. They did some work to eliminate the noise, vibration and harshness of the earlier 2.3 while they increased the displacement to 2.5L. I notice the oil pan is an aluminium assembly with ribs instead of stamped steel to increase rigidity. This 2.5 also has dual plugs (a pain to change!) But pretty much the same engine.

That's very clean, I've seen some of these motors with the covers off and believe me they usually don't look like that. I know the 3,000 mile oil change is dead, but this is what it can do.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
That's very clean, I've seen some of these motors with the covers off and believe me they usually don't look like that. I know the 3,000 mile oil change is dead, but this is what it can do.

3k mile OCI is not dead to everyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doublebase

There are plenty of higher mile OCI vehicles pic'd here that are equally clean...

If this is what a 3000 mile oil change buys me I'M IN. I have been doing my vehicles at 3000 miles and I will be continuing it. These pictures just reinforced my desire to keep on with it. Waste of money. Well it isn't anyones money but mine that I am spending to do it. I won't be choosing a expensive product to do it with either. Both vehicles will be using a synth blend from WM. Motorcraft in the truck after I finish up using the stash of regular oil for it. For the Note I will use Pennzoil Gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MRtv
If this is what a 3000 mile oil change buys me I'M IN. I have been doing my vehicles at 3000 miles and I will be continuing it. These pictures just reinforced my desire to keep on with it. Waste of money. Well it isn't anyones money but mine that I am spending to do it. I won't be choosing a expensive product to do it with either. Both vehicles will be using a synth blend from WM. Motorcraft in the truck after I finish up using the stash of regular oil for it. For the Note I will use Pennzoil Gold.

Nobody cares what you do with your money. But it's kind of silly how many are some how rationalizing 3K oil changes based on these photos. There are pics of a Brit car using Castrol SYNTEC 5W-50 for 15K OCI's that is also very clean. So what? If you want to change your oil by a standard based on carburated engines then fine.

I am changing mine based on severe use as defined for the Nissan. Nissan wants 3750 miles. I just do it around 3000. My F150 is done with users manual requiring 3000 miles for my model. I am just more comfortable with what I do and if someone else is more comfortable with something different for their cars then I am ok with that too. At my age I am planning on not buying another vehicle.

Oh I am 66 today. Happy birthday and everyone have a great independence day.

Looks very similar to 10,000 mi changes on M1 5W30 on that engine.

Ive seen a few of those engines with 400,000 plus miles with 5,000 mi conventional changes. I saw one with the valvecover off at 443,000 and it had some varnish.

Say what you want about 3,000 mi changes but it certainly works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back