AutoRX seems to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2004 Volvo V70 T5M with 280K miles on it and it would seem that the previous owner stopped caring about servicing the thing since they were getting rid of it. I pulled the oil pan and cleaned a bunch of crud out of the pan. I also cleaned out the pickup screen because it was full of junk. Tossed in a bottle of AutoRX. A can of Liquimoly MOS2. And six quarts of Petro Canada "synthetic" 5w30.

This is what came out after ~3000 miles (and I didn't follow the directions and check the oil filter at 1500 miles because I thought I had all of the crud out).

rbNmVyol.jpg

Oops. That's pretty gnarly.

The real test is going to be if it brings number 3 compression from 150 to 180 so it matches the other cylinders. That was not checked today.

Another interesting thing with this stuff. I added in four ounces of AutoRX when I changed the oil in my moms car (immaculate engine, just wanted to see if anything would get caught up in the oil filter) and she told me a few weeks after I added AutoRX that her car seemed to have a whole lot more power.

Last edited:
I've only owned it for a few months. It was 600 bucks. I bought it to have as a shopping mall beater since everyone around here is completely disrespectful to the property of others.

This is a normal sight in the shop where I work:

UAPm9Jgl.jpg

Seriously. It's that bad around here. I don't want my nice cars getting beat to death.

But I believe it was serviced at the local Volvo dealer. Meaning it received a steady supply of Mobil Super "5000" (conventional) 5w30 that was changed every 7,500 miles (or more. probably more).

Originally Posted By: CEHepp
I've only owned it for a few months. It was 600 bucks. I bought it to have as a shopping mall beater since everyone around here is completely disrespectful to the property of others.

UAPm9Jgl.jpg

Seriously. It's that bad around here. I don't want my nice cars getting beat to death.

But I believe it was serviced at the local Volvo dealer. Meaning it received a steady supply of Mobil Super "5000" (conventional) 5w30 that was changed every 7,500 miles (or more. probably more).

shocked.gif

Whoa....

So. Ebay purchase old AutoRx and run for a short OCI along with the other product?

Old AutoRX?

This was the "Plus" purchased direct from their webpage.

Or are you recommending I buy the old stuff instead?

Nice results fro ARX...I'd do another cycle for sure, with that much crud coming out.....

[here come the Seafoam guys....]

I definitely think I'm going to after I get done with the rinse. And this time I'm definitely going to check the filter at 1500 miles because I'm a little freaked out now. Haha

Does Seafoam in the oil work? I've done the vacuum line thing for cleaning piston tips on seriously crusty piston tops but never in the oil.

I've only used Seafoam as a gas treatment, it didn't remove the water as advertised. Except for ARX I haven't used oil additives - it worked for me, no sense going to another product.

I'm not sure you can give all the credit to AutoRx...you manually cleaned stuff, which may have dislodged some, and you added MOS2 and fresh synthetic oil as well.

Whatever it was, it looks like you hit on the magic potion.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: CEHepp

UAPm9Jgl.jpg

Wow, are people that bad of lazy slobs?!?

What is that pattern of scratches? It seems deliberate and focused...not the product of "shopping mall carelessness".

On another note: If that oil is so neglected then be informed that the "PCV system" is likely clogged. The vapor catch box is located behind the intake manifold and full access is needed to replace all the hoses (3) and the box itself.

Use only quality A3,B3 oils. Mobil1 0W-40 or Castrol 0W-30, both with the words "European Formula" on the label are what you want.

That is actually from their neighbor. Not that it makes it any better.

The PCV system is clear. Only the drain back for the separated oil clogs. I cleaned that out when I pad the pan off.

That pattern of abuse is from the same 2 cars parking beside each other in the same spaces day after day doing the same stupid thing. This looks like the driver's side passenger door, who knows how it got those?

"That pattern of abuse is from the same 2 cars parking beside each other in the same spaces day after day doing the same stupid thing. This looks like the driver's side passenger door, who knows how it got those?"

^ Exactly....I'll be nice and say it's carelessness....

CEHepp, please post your pics of the NEXT oil change filter in this thread so we can compare....thanks!

Originally Posted By: Kira
If that oil is so neglected then be informed that the "PCV system" is likely clogged. The vapor catch box is located behind the intake manifold and full access is needed to replace all the hoses (3) and the box itself.
I think my PCV system might be clogged too. Is the vapor catch box located behind the intake manifold on all cars or just his specific model? I have a 2003 ford explorer 4.6L. I had a mechanic check my car out because I am burning a quart of oil every week. He looked into the valve cover showed me all the sludge that has built up in it. He suggested I replace the PCV value, which I did, but am now wondering if the PCV system is clogged. Can I take the line coming from the valve cover where the PCV attaches and blow it out with an air compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back