Thick A-Pillars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part, I really like my 2015 Mazda3 sedan. But...BIG BUT, I hate the thick windshield pillars.

The thick A-pillars hide entire minivans to the left and right at four way stop signs. They make it very difficult to maneuver through tight spots, and negotiate some road medians when turning left at certain intersections. They completely block out pedestrians that step off sidewalks or walkout from between other cars in parking lots. I guess they assume cars see them, but...

I consider myself a very cautious driver, and I still have occasional issues with these [censored] pillars. Now that I am aware of this concern, it is the first thing I look at when checking out a car.

I test drove, and/or sat in many cars and SUV's within the past year, and I noticed how other car pillars are even worse than my Mazda. I am exaggerating a little when I say that some vehicles felt like I was in a submarine, but in reality some cars do come with ridiculously/dangerously thick a-pillars.

I feel safer with thinner pillars. Subaru and Toyota had great a-pillars in the models I looked at. So, Toyota or Subaru will be my next car. Low belt lines, thin pillars, who would have thought outward visibility was as important as ABS, backup cameras, blind-spot monitors, parking assist, etc. Being able to see what's coming at you from ALL angles, priceless to me.

So, why cant car manufacturers put thin A-pillars in all their vehicles?
It seems that a thinner a-pillar design would be such an easy fix for manufacturers, and cost effective. Am I wrong?

Probably for strength...to pass the small overlap crash test. Subaru has long been known for heavy pillars for crash protection. They did little if any modification to pass the test. All other vehicles needed to major design change. The question is why did Mazda not follow this approach. Or maybe it is not to pass this test?

Would not a lower angle like a Corvette make the car stronger in front impact? If it would help reinforce the front quarter panels. More leverage to combat the pushing backwards towards said A-pillar force.. Yes, no?

My saabs also have thick pillars. It can be a bit annoying especially making sure some turns are safe. But knowing my car [censored] near has a built in roll cage, I'll take the trade.

You can achieve the required strength by making them wide or by making them deep.
Mazda apparently found it cheaper to make them wide, blocking your view and considered that a valid trade-off.
Other makers make them deeper and narrower, blocking less of the driver's view out.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
You can achieve the required strength by making them wide or by making them deep.
Mazda apparently found it cheaper to make them wide, blocking your view and considered that a valid trade-off.
Other makers make them deeper and narrower, blocking less of the driver's view out.

I agree.

All modern passenger vehicles have to pass the required rollover and frontal crash safety guidelines. But some manufacturers, like Subaru, go above that and engineer/design safety into the overall design, as well.

Spend a little more on R&D and solve two critical safety aspects at one time. Thin a-pillars that meet or exceed crash safety requirements, and provide better visibility= Safety for driver, other cars on the road, and pedestrians. It's a win, win, win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3for3
For the most part, I really like my 2015 Mazda3 sedan. But...BIG BUT, I hate the thick windshield pillars.

The thick A-pillars hide entire minivans to the left and right at four way stop signs. They make it very difficult to maneuver through tight spots, and negotiate some road medians when turning left at certain intersections. They completely block out pedestrians that step off sidewalks or walkout from between other cars in parking lots. I guess they assume cars see them, but...

+1

Honda seems to be the only company pays attention to A-pillars. Most their vehicles since mid-late 80's have thinner A-pillars than others.

The new 2016 Acura NSX has thinner A-pillars than others too.

Pictures of late 1980's Acura Legend Coupe, not only the A-pillars are thin the B and C-pillars are very thin too.

used_1990_acura_legend_l_coupe_8800000414636585555.jpg

z9287865Q,1990-Acura-Legend-Coupe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back