Best oil for power valves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2 stroke snowmobile with power valves. It's an arctic cat, and they recommend their APV synthetic oil. The previous owner of the sled always ran klotz oil, so that's what I've continued to run. If nothing else, it smells good.

I cleaned the power valves when I bought it in 2014, with 1200 miles on it. The sled is getting near double that now. Power valves are working fine when it's warm, but they're starting to get just a little bit sticky when the engine is cold. I may or may not clean them again in the fall.

Obviously, I don't like cleaning the power valves. Is the klotz oil pretty good, as far as that goes, or would the artic cat APV, or Amsoil interceptor, be better?

I previously had a 1300 Yamaha triple in a waverunner. I rebuilt it and ran HP injector. Power valves got gummy quick. One broke, luckily bouncing out the exhaust without costing me an engine, and I started running Interceptor when I put it back together. I never opened it up again before I sold it, and never considered cleaning them. The actuator forced them closed on the Yamaha, though, where the arctic cat relies on a spring to close them.

I'd clean the power valves and see if that takes care of the sticking problem, and then run the Artic Cat oil. If cleaning them doesn't work, replace them. Either way, switch to the recommended oil. Sounds like a pretty new sled as well, so by using their oil you won't have any issues with the warranty.

I always ran Amsoil Interceptor on my power valve sled. The Amsoil Injector is for engines without power valves. Im sure the Arctic Cat oil is good, I just always ran Amsoil cause it was consistently easier to find for my Ski Doo. I have a Yamaha four stroke now, changing the oil once in a while is nice. I run Amsoil 0w40 in that.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
I'd clean the power valves and see if that takes care of the sticking problem, and then run the Artic Cat oil. If cleaning them doesn't work, replace them. Either way, switch to the recommended oil. Sounds like a pretty new sled as well, so by using their oil you won't have any issues with the warranty.

Cleaning them fixes the problem. Owners manual specifies removing them and cleaning them when they don't return to their closed position when you pull on the actuator cable. So far they're not that bad, I may or may not clean them before next season. I'd like to avoid periodically cleaning them. The Klotz oil supposedly burns very clean, I was looking to find out if anyone has any evidence that one oil or another burns cleaner and causes less buildup.

The sled is 14 years old. No warranty concerns. The Klotz is adequate lubrication and will not cause a problem, it's no more / less expensive than Arctic Cat's synthetic. They're not something that ever needs replaced, it's an issue of gummy buildup from burning oil with the gas. It's typical of 2 stroke power valve engines, but I'm sure some engines are more susceptible than others due to the method of actuation or the clearances in the system.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Power valves grind themselves away? I bet castings break.

They don't grind themselves away. They get a gummy buildup.

I had one break on my Yamaha 1300 triple in a waverunner. It uses an actuator to open and close so there may be more stress on them when they get gummed up. There's also a big stress concentration point when the shaft necks down to the blade. that's where it broke. Bounced off the edge of the piston and right out the exhaust, leaving 2 small dents.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Mystik Sea and Snow

Do you have any evidence that Mystik oil results in less gummy buildup on the power valves?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Mystik Sea and Snow

I have heard and see many use this I use this in all my OPE runs extremely clean note I only run VPracing Small Engine Fuel in all my 2stroke also.

In my experience, semi-synthetics keep power valves cleaner for longer. I usually use Yamalube 2S and some argue that Citgo/Mystik Sea and Snow is the same product. If you must have a full synthetic, I'd buy Mystik JT-4 only because it's $22 at farm and fleet.

I use Amsoil Interceptor in my YZ125 motocross premixed at 32:1,
I've never run any other oil but I can say there have never been any hard
deposits needing scrubing off the powervalves when the engine is serviced,
whatever oily residue easily wipes/sprays off with parts cleaner.

Not sure what the engine & exhaust temps are compared to a snowmobile
but for comparision, this 125cc engine puts out 34 horsepower.

If you plan to use non OEM oil in an oil injected sled you might want to look into verifying/recalibrating your injection rate. Cat APV is a bit thicker than Klotz which can result in a higher consumption rate of Klotz or others that are thinner. That being said, Klotz seems to run cleaner than APV in my 16ZR800 with less gumming of the power valves even with the higher consumption before recalibration.

My Ski Doo runs clean with Klotz, but I clean my RAVE's every year, simple to do and makes for a happier engine.

I have a 03 CAT F7 with about 5200 miles now, pulled the power valves out once out of curiosity, but didn't need to clean them. Have used Amsoil Intercepter or Full synthetic Arctic Blue since day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back