CRC GDI IVD™ INTAKE VALVE CLEANER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made an adapter for my 1.8 Liter Gas 2014 Passat from two pieces of hose. I removed the MAP sensor from the intake manifold and replaced it with the adapter. The MAP sensor was temporarlly installed in the top of the adapter and the nozzle for the CRC Intake Valve cleaner poked into a hole in the bottom of the adapter. The longest I could squirt the cleaner into the adapter without stalling the engine was about 1 second. So, it took about 10 minutes to complete the procedure. Unfortunately, I have no idea how effective it was in cleaning the intake valves. But, to anyone with the 1.8 liter gas engine, that is how it is done.

On my wife's 2012 Equinox 2.4 I drilled a hole in the air box down stream of MAF sensor. Got it up to temp, wife held throttle at 2000RPM, spray until it bogged, let up, repeated until can was empty. Let it sit for 30 mins. When I took it out on the road it bogged like crazy with gray smoke coming out. It finally cleared and ran fine. It now idled smooth, before it had a skip, really skipped when cold started. I also put stainless screw in the hole I drilled.
That CRC intake valve cleaner does a good job to me. I don't know if it cleans the backs of valves really good but I think it does clean enough off around the valve seat/top of pistons to make a difference. GDI doesn't impress me at all.

Sounds like a good way to do it. My Passat has a turbo and there is no good access other than the hole the MAP sensor occupies. Any way you can squirt the juice in downstream from the MAP sensor is acceptable.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Pictures???
Thisis the gizmo I used on the Passat. Pen is there to show the size.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
How many miles are on your engine?

I've never seen anything but manual cleaning do anything to DI intake valves.

Car has 12K miles. It is my hope that doing this treatment every 12K miles will keep the deposits to a reasonable level. Stress on the word hope.

Just be careful with this kind of procedure, if the composition does not contains enough lubrication, this tends to accelerate wear on top of the cylinder and may also damage valve seal. So clean enough is good but too clean may create another problem.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
How many miles are on your engine?

I've never seen anything but manual cleaning do anything to DI intake valves.

Exactly . Watch ChrisFix videos on YouTube he does pretty comprehensive tests of cleaners . There all disappointing.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
Is there any concern about the catalytic converter when using these products?

Shouldn't be the fluid itself is cat safe, any carbon that gets to the converter would be superheated and turn to ashes and likely blow through the unit without a problem.

The only potential problems that some on here have brought up are BOOSTED direct injection engines, where there was concern for bits of released carbon to damage very fast spinning, 'hot side' turbo impeller vanes.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back