Porsche with loud cooling fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out shopping today and saw this new(ish) Porsche Cayenne pulling into the parking lot. I was surprised by how NOISY the cooling fans on this thing were. Sounded like some clunker 70's cargo truck. If I was the owner, I'd be pretty upset if my expensive ride sounded like that.

When all the cooling fans on my 530i come on, it sounds like a semi taking off.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

Hooray, clutch fan!

I have exactly zero issue with loud fans. To me, it's the sound of adequate engineering.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Those high performance German engine needs lots of cooling.

Pulling out of a parking lot?

OP said "into," not "out of."

The thing had probably been driven a while with the AC in meat locker mode. They are never that loud unless they're very hot.

My German cars' radiator and various other heat exchanger fans howl like a banshee.

Enough climate change thermodynamics going on to prompt carbon offset credit scowls from passersby.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

Hooray, clutch fan!

I have exactly zero issue with loud fans. To me, it's the sound of adequate engineering.

+1

The cooling fans on my girlfriends VW 1.8 TSI howl in these summer months, even after a short drive.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Those high performance German engine needs lots of cooling.

Pulling out of a parking lot?
keeps the ac ice cold

Originally Posted By: CT8
Squealing is the sound of disc brakes but no one likes the squeal.

That stopped being true when good quiet brakes became normal.

If you know of a way for a cooling system to be silent while cooling a Cayenne's engine bay on a hot day with its AC on full blast, I'm sure Porsche's engineers would love to hear from you.

The cooling fan on my Vic is quite loud at high speed (seems to be a 2-speed fan)...my Caddy's fan is also loud on a hot day; with the A/C on, the clutch will lock and it will blow like a hurricane.

I wonder if the Cayenne the OP heard was a turbo...that would have a larger-capacity fan.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
The cooling fan on my Vic is quite loud at high speed (seems to be a 2-speed fan).

Its a variable (theroretically infinite speed) fan. On my '04 you could hear it change speed up and down when the A/C clutch went in or out

Hmm...mine seems to have two distinctive "steps"...haven't noticed anything else. I wonder if the PIs were programmed differently.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I can see the noise adding a bit of safety for pedestrians.
Does it get the zombies on their cell phones to look up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back