My extended drain OCI did not go as intended...

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Caravan with the 3.3L. I hadn't bothered to check the dipstick since changing the oil about 10k miles ago.

3 quarts AMS oil grp IV, the rest in Castrol Syntec (all 5w-30) at OCI. There was just a dribble of oil on the tip. Oops...

(Figure about 90% highway miles...)

Ended up topping it up with whatever was left in the jug of Syntec, plus a quart of random 5w-30 dino I had kicking around. I'll do an OCI in about a month, already have the new oil (Pennzoil 5w30 syn), plus the Fram Ultra Guard Synthetic (or whatever it's called - was on sale). Keeping an eye out to determine if oil is thinning out, we have an oil burner, or the PCV valve needs replacing. Thinking 1 and 2, hope not 3.

This is the wife's van that we got for a steal, so I'm hardly ever motivated to put money in it, although it only has about 80k miles.

I'm confused, how low was it exactly? A quart? Two quarts?

10,000 miles seems like a lot on any older Chrysler product, that's an old pushrod engine, I'd be worried about the lifters getting clogged up or something. But if I remember correctly, it's not the engine you have to worry about on the Caravans, it's the transmissions. I don't think I've ever seen one go past 150,000 miles, I mean I'm sure they're out there, I just haven't seen it. I had one years ago...took great care of it...I mean great care of it...tranny service at 50k, etc, etc, etc...the thing still grenaded at 100,000 miles.

There's this automotive training facility called UTI in my state, they teach an automatic transmission class there, they use the Caravan transmissions because they were all donated junk units. There's hundreds of them. And if you ever walk into a transmission shop...those trannies kept them in business.

It's probably the PCV, but I'd just be worried about sludge building up in that valley area and clogging those lifters. Especially if it ran that low and got real hot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Take better care of it and it might just last you a while.

Don't let any OCI go that long without checking the oil level.

Originally Posted By: doublebase
I'm confused, how low was it exactly? A quart? Two quarts?

10,000 miles seems like a lot on any older Chrysler product, that's an old pushrod engine, I'd be worried about the lifters getting clogged up or something. But if I remember correctly, it's not the engine you have to worry about on the Caravans, it's the transmissions. I don't think I've ever seen one go past 150,000 miles, I mean I'm sure they're out there, I just haven't seen it. I had one years ago...took great care of it...I mean great care of it...tranny service at 50k, etc, etc, etc...the thing still grenaded at 100,000 miles.

There's this automotive training facility called UTI in my state, they teach an automatic transmission class there, they use the Caravan transmissions because they were all donated junk units. There's hundreds of them. And if you ever walk into a transmission shop...those trannies kept them in business.

It's probably the PCV, but I'd just be worried about sludge building up in that valley area and clogging those lifters. Especially if it ran that low and got real hot.

I'm guessing a little over two quarts. Hard to tell pouring out the rest of the 5L jug I had kicking around (plus the extra quart).

And yeah, the transmission is the thing I'm most concerned about. Mind you, I saved enough cash buying privately, I can afford to have two tranny rebuilds and be ahead in the money department.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Don't let any OCI go that long without checking the oil level.

Agreed, just never realized how quickly the van was racking up mileage. I figured the wife only had 5-6k miles, when she told me "I really need an oil change". I strive to take care of my vehicles, or at least I did. Ironically, I take much better care of our 2015 Outlander under warranty. I took on a full bathroom reno by myself, while working full-time. Probably the stupidest decision I've made in the last couple of years, literally consumed an entire four months of my life outside work and sleep. I haven't even done my taxes yet, thankfully I'll be owed a refund, so no penalty. Which is crazy, I'm always the "one" to remind people to get it done asap, and not give the government a free loan.

Just break down and check the oil once or twice a month.Before any long trips would be a good idea also. That electronic trans can have seemingly major problems that are minor ones having to do with sensors.I put an extra filter on mine.Motor oil?I use HM 10-40 Oil in mine and see less oil usage than when using regular 10-30.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
Just break down and check the oil once or twice a month.Before any long trips would be a good idea also. That electronic trans can have seemingly major problems that are minor ones having to do with sensors.I put an extra filter on mine.Motor oil?I use HM 10-40 Oil in mine and see less oil usage than when using regular 10-30.

We generally don't use this van for long trips, we strive to use the SUV. Free roadside, towing, gas mileage cut in half (4cyl/CVT vs. 6cyl/4spd)... But the odd time we do use it, I check all the fluids before we take off. Obviously, seeing my busy life, it's been some time since I took a trip.

With an oil change just around the corner, I would have gone ahead and changed it, instead of topping off with good oil.

Most of my Dodge/Chryslers used oil. sometimes 1 qt every 1000-2000 miles. the engines are very durable (216k+ on the Sebring; original transmission too....) but I would NEVER go more than 1000 miles without checking the oil.

So you would rather have an oil burner than just needing to change your PCV?

Sounds like the Castrol burned off....
27.gif

:(Do not be surprised when that vehicles leaves you stranded in the worst possible place/time/weather conditions. It's just getting back at you for not paying attention to what you and your family are going down the road at 70mph.

That's good that you got a good deal on the van, I imagine transmissions aren't much for these things anymore anyway.

I think if you could do a couple short oil change intervals, you may be able to clean out any varnish/sludge, etc, that may have accumulated running it that far and low. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: doublebase

An uncle of mine managed to get 250000 out of a 41TE in a v6 Caravan.

No idea how. Their average life is somewhere around 30,000 miles when maintained well.

Run with the topped up oil for a while then use a engine oil flush like 1 cup of kerosene added while the engine idles for 20 min then do the oil /filter change.

When you run with low oil for a long time there's a greater risk of sludge forming in the engine. Low oil oxidizes faster since it'll be hotter and sucked up by the oil pump and forced back thru the bearings before it cools down a little. The minimum oil temp is equal to the engine thermostat rating, about 185 to 195F.

Interestingly, if you run long OCIs and keep track of exact oil top ups, you'll see that most of the oil by the time you hit 10 K miles /16,000 kms, the oil is 40 to 50% newer then the original oil installed during the last oil change!

Personally, if the oil is down 1/2 quart, I top-up sooner rather then later.

That engine is known for some consumption. Actually I wouldn't have expected you to be able to see anything on the stick for going that long between checking so I am not thinking your van is excessive. Check it once in a while and I'd expect long service out of it.

EGR is no big deal. I have 7 Caravans in my fleet (2005-2007). All have the 3.3 I think. They are not major oil burners... maybe 1.5qt per 7,500 OCI for the worst despite using 5w20.

Just change the tranny fluid regularly and you will be "ok"-ish. They are not forgiving of abuse but the fleet has been trouble free. Other issues, no so much.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
:(Do not be surprised when that vehicles leaves you stranded in the worst possible place/time/weather conditions. It's just getting back at you for not paying attention to what you and your family are going down the road at 70mph.

This I do wonder about with the sketchy transmission.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

An uncle of mine managed to get 250000 out of a 41TE in a v6 Caravan.

No idea how. Their average life is somewhere around 30,000 miles when maintained well.

laugh.gif
Okay, I definitely chuckled.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Sounds like the Castrol burned off....
27.gif

Dem's fightin' words!
grin.gif

In all honesty, I never intended to run that high of an interval. I was aiming for about 7k miles, replace yearly right before winter.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
He "saved enough" to do an engine rebuild AND a tranny rebuild.

Not sure about Boston, but around here the 3.3's are a dime a dozen. Not so much for the trannys, obviously...
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back