cold seizure on a small air cooled engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how much warming up is needed when it's around 90 degrees outside, but I notice lawn care companies startup and run their equipment straight to full throttle as soon as it starts and they don't ever seem to have a problem. Usually in the winter if you don't let them idle for a minute or so it will bog down and stall, but these engines generally startup and run fine with no bogging in the summer. Today I bought a new blower and I notice with every piece of equipment I guy the mechanic takes it in the back fills it with fuel and runs it straight to full throttle. My guess is to make sure the carb settings are right? I'm not sure because most times it won't need an adjustment until it's good an broke in, which is after about 100hrs. A lot of ope will stall if you let it idle when first started especially once they have a good amount of hours on them so I've always just stuck to not using full throttle until they've been running for a few minutes. Opinions? Am I worrying about something that doesn't matter? Maybe in the summertime cold seizure isn't an issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that it's something I am careful about with a $10,000 car, but not a $100 leaf blower- But I was just wondering the same thing the other day. I'd say that they are okay with it, but I'd never redline my car when cold.

Some small engines don't have a throttle control; it's straight to the governed RPM at startup.

Small engines run better from a cold start during warm weather because the fuel can get atomized quicker.

I think it's based on load too, not just rpm that causes it. I've really only heard of cold seizure on an outboard motor cause generally they run pretty cool compared to a car.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
I guess that it's something I am careful about with a $10,000 car, but not a $100 leaf blower- But I was just wondering the same thing the other day. I'd say that they are okay with it, but I'd never redline my car when cold.

I understand but equipment is equipment.

Ever hear of a racing team getting a DNF because of a fifty cent part. Well, that is kind of like what you speak of.

I start my B&S 20HP twin at a high idle for 30 seconds or so and then go full throttle. That seems like a prudent way to protect the engine intended for long term use. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back