Hard Workers

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor worked for 6 hrs yesterday in the heat in her flower gardens.
She has about 3 acres. The day before she put in 4 hrs and was using a lawn cart.
This lady works very hard. Later she was down in a ditch picking up cans and discarded junk from
the highway. She has been working hard since I moved there 17 years ago.

Big deal right????????
Did I mention she is 96 years old????????

My father died in November. My mother lives next door and she is 78- works even harder and I do help her out every day.
But yesterday she had out her trusty old Kubota and by herself removed the mower access panels and cleaned
them out and vacuumed the air filter and checked the oil. I was proud of her and no she does not do the Internet but she took it upon herself to try. I was impressed and she was empowered. Great!

They don't make them like they used to. That generation of people is what made America great. It is sad what our futures are going to look like.

Nice! I hope to be that active when I'm that old (assuming I make it that long).

People have become overwhelmed with health and healthcare. So worrisome. I think the key is to stay active. Your going to ache a little more. I know I can't go hard like I did when I was 20, but I try. I've seen alot of people work well into their 70's, they retire and they die less than a year later. Stay active and stay away from doctors. That's my advice.

I hate to say it but... Some older people from that generation are tough as nails, but probably not in their best interest. I've seen plenty of older folks completely ignore warning signs and overall health because they don't want to complain, and want a job done. Staying active is surely important, but there must be a balance. In the above example, working that long in the heat could be tough for a younger, in shape person. but for someone of that age, it could cause all sorts of problems.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I hate to say it but... Some older people from that generation are tough as nails, but probably not in their best interest. I've seen plenty of older folks completely ignore warning signs and overall health because they don't want to complain, and want a job done. Staying active is surely important, but there must be a balance. In the above example, working that long in the heat could be tough for a younger, in shape person. but for someone of that age, it could cause all sorts of problems.

Huh? According to the OP, she has been at it 17 years...and most assuredly all her life. She is 96 years old! The only problem this has caused her is longevity.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

I agree, it's all about balance and moderation....
...and using moderation, in moderation

I've heard more than one elder tell me throughout my life to get an education so I wouldn't have to work as hard as they had to. So where did it go wrong?

I didn't listen too well, still hard at it.

She apparently knew when to stop and get out of the heat. It seems to have worked for her for nearly a century. We seem to look for excuses NOT to do something.

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER
Work smart, not hard.

I have heard that several times in the construction field and it always comes from Lazy people and it's usually never as efficient as just lets get it done.

A neighbor from down the street that is 95 told me the biggest hazards to your health are all those pills that modern doctors prescribe, smoking, drinking alcohol, the welfare benefits offered by the government that turn people into couch potatoes, mobility scooters for people too lazy to walk and processed food.

At 65 he completed the La Jolla rough water swim on a $1.00 bet with his grandson. Between 70 and 90 he has completed 6 marathons. It's difficult to argue with success.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Work smart, not hard.

I have heard that several times in the construction field and it always comes from Lazy people and it's usually never as efficient as just lets get it done.

Key word: Construction field.

How about IT? Or the service industry? Or transport or warehousing?

Its entirely possible to over-work, a.k.a. Hard. Concepts like to let the machine do the work, only touch everything once, make for a more paced and productive workday or worknight.

So, I disagree with what you say.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
They don't make them like they used to. That generation of people is what made America great. It is sad what our futures are going to look like.

The ancient Greeks said this about their children, you can look it up.
18.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

18.gif

Exactly. Every time I see this old saw dragged out again I want to go dig a ditch. The generation that says it is responsible for making things easier for the generation they're b1tching about.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1

18.gif

Rome wasnt built in a day, and they had modern-day plumbing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Work smart, not hard.

Exactly.

There is a balance of course, if you are smart you can do a better quality job more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back