PAO in Mobil 1 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much PAO is in their 0w-40 oil? It seems to be one of the best out there and meets some tough specs.

Well then there is the post that says PAO's are not a hazard and therefore not on msds's. I recently purchased 2 jugs of Mobil 1 0-40 in a small town WalMart and it was the old stuff.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
Well then there is the post that says PAO's are not a hazard and therefore not on msds's.

Right, but if MSDS shows that 40-70% is GTL, then how much is left for the supposed PAO content?

And again, I don't understand some people's infatuation with PAO. PAO alone does not a good oil make.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And again, I don't understand some people's infatuation with PAO. PAO alone does not a good oil make.

It's the same type of infatuation as when a Blackstone-type VOA is used to predict an oil's performance.

Well then there is the post that says PAO's are not a hazard and therefore not on msds's. I recently purchased 2 jugs of Mobil 1 0-40 in a small town WalMart and it was the old stuff.

I am wrong. The stuff I just bought has the tiny FS on it. Not easy to see. So now I have half a jug of FS and half of the old stuff. Any reason I can't mix them together??
BTW...I'm not enamored with PAO. Just curious how much they would put in one of their best oils.

I am wrong. The stuff I just bought has the tiny FS on it. Not easy to see. So now I have half a jug of FS and half of the old stuff. Any reason I can't mix them together??
BTW...I'm not enamored with PAO. Just curious how much they would put in one of their best oils.

It was, at one point, majority PAO. Then it was mostly Group III. Then it was like 50% PAO, now it is majority GTL. They have changed the formula of that oil so many times.......
21.gif

Any reason I can't mix them together??

What car/engine are you going to be using it in?

Well it might be a VW 2.slo or a Benz v6 gasser. I also use it in my house back up gen and rv generator.

It was, at one point, majority PAO. Then it was mostly Group III. Then it was like 50% PAO, now it is majority GTL. They have changed the formula of that oil so many times.......
21.gif
[/quote]
Wow, didn't realize that. Also didn't realize ExxonMobil was making GTL's now. No wonder certifications are missing.

Any reason I can't mix them together??

What car/engine are you going to be using it in?

Well it might be a VW 2.slo or a Benz v6 gasser. I also use it in my house back up gen and rv generator.

In that case, I'd say you're OK with mixing the two. If these cars are still under warranty, you're still covered as the oils meet the VW spec and MB spec, respectively.

32.gif

You bring up a great question...

I'm assuming that different additives or at least the mix of additives would change with any adjustment of base stocks. If this is true, and you are mixing 0W40 from two years ago with todays version...there cannot be an issue since you are in essence, mixing the same oils "Mobil1 0W40". So how would this differ from mixing any other two oils of the same viscosity? This not only goes for Mobil1 but every brand goes through constant change and adjustment. Some even change additive package all together.

I still have some 25% M2, with major PAO (2008 batch) running in my engines, settled with a sum of 10k miles mostly, the rest is new semisyn. See? It was good to decantle it for reuse, for that short oci.

Last edited:
Mobil uses the specific words "ultra" high end base oils. I wouldn't be surprised if this grade uses a good slug of POE or other group V based oil (AN's?). They also (which I think is sort of odd) mention this particular grade has "exceptional" cleaning ability. FWIW

How many times has M1 0W40 been reformulated in the last 15 years and why?
The latest effort is just like the original, a thick XW30 with a price tag to match.
The price you pay for blind loyalty.

The problem is, particularly up here, that there are few alternatives. Castrol has pretty good penetration up here, obviously. But, Petro-Canada makes no A3/B4 lubes for the North American market. Shell is doing a very good job at keeping their A3/B4 products safely tucked in warehouses, out of the hands of consumers. Mobil's other A3/B4 products is a bulk only product.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Everyone is allowed an opinion, and I believe if the label says CJ-4, it will work in any engine that specifies A3/before.

The loyalty comes into play because you trust the brand won't sell you rubbish. No matter what changes are made, Mobil1 conforms to the specs on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Everyone is allowed an opinion, and I believe if the label says CJ-4, it will work in any engine that specifies A3/before.

I would tend to agree with that for the most part. However, there are many who are still under warranty and want something with actual builder approvals, not the least of whom are dealers and independent shops. Further, the days of getting a 5w-40 HDEO cheaper than an approved lube in both the States and Canada (particularly if one does chase a Canadian Tire or Walmart sale, which I don't) are mostly over. The best sales on Castrol 0w-40 and M1 0w-40 are getting very close to what I pay for Delvac 1, but I get the same price on Delvac 1 all the time, but I'm veering off, here. When M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 were the only choices and were only available in one litre bottles, a synthetic HDEO by the jug or pail was an attractive alternative. Now that they've got sensible container sizes for approved lubes (4.4 L M1 0w-40 is annoying, though), the push to save a few bucks isn't as obvious.

Originally Posted By: Garak
The problem is, particularly up here, that there are few alternatives. Castrol has pretty good penetration up here, obviously. But, Petro-Canada makes no A3/B4 lubes for the North American market. Shell is doing a very good job at keeping their A3/B4 products safely tucked in warehouses, out of the hands of consumers. Mobil's other A3/B4 products is a bulk only product.

We are fortunate here with fullsyn or syn blend of A3B4 xW40 and xW30 Shell,Mobil,Castrol,Total in 4 or 5L jug etc on sales from time to time.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back