Sedan or SUV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
They’re two very different types of driving experiences; each have their strong and weak points.

In today’s article, we test-drive two 2016 Lexus vehicles – the 2016 RX 350 F-Sport SUV and the 2016 ES 350 sedan, reporting on the merits and demerits of each body styling.

First, both vehicles do what they do extremely well.

Quote:
SEDAN Disadvantages:

1* Sedans, with the exception of a few high end makes, lack the swagger of an SUV, for those of us who wish our vehicles to make a statement about ourselves – and doesn’t that include everyone who buys a new car?

2* Sedans are less spacious, plain and simple; you can’t fit as much junk into them.

3* If you find yourself off-road or in heavy snow, a sedan is about as useful as a pair of roller skates.

1* As long as not too ugly likes current Toyota/Lexus front end.

Lexus ES350
Lexus-ES-nebula-gray-pearl-gallery-overlay-1204x677-LEX-ESG-MY16-0138-1200x675.jpg

2* I don't have anything in my cars. No more than 1-2 times a year I needed to transport some larger items home I borrowed my BIL's minivan.

3* We don't go off-road nor we go to mountains regularly in winter(we don't snow skiing), no need to have an SUV with snow tire.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax/2016...-f-sport/print/

"1* Sedans, with the exception of a few high end makes, lack the swagger of an SUV, for those of us who wish our vehicles to make a statement about ourselves – and doesn’t that include everyone who buys a new car?"

Not Everyone.....Just the D-Bags!

If I ever get a new vehicle (I want to get a Marauder first) it will be an SUV. I need the space. I regularly fill my trunk to the top, and the Panther trunk isnt exactly small.
Some of my friends had to rent a trailer to carry all their gear...on top of having an SUV.

I prefer sedans, my wife prefers SUVs.

We curb hop and load the back of her X3 with stuff from Lowe's, and every year we tie a Christmas tree straight to the roof.

With a good cleaning it still looks brand new, but we're not nice to it.

Point #1 is basically saying "I can't stand people not paying attention to me and I need people I'll never meet to think I'm cool", or more simply "I'm closer to an ape than most humans". People with sense don't care to stand out unless they have tens of millions of dollars to waste.

#2 Well obviously? People don't buy sedans to tow boats or carry tons of cargo...

#3 OK be honest, how many times have you had NO OPTION but to drive off road? People who drive AWD/4WD SUVs think they're invincible and they're the ones I see in the ditch in the winter second most after idiots in RWD pontiacs (probably 17 year old males). If the roads are plowed so badly that the ground clearance is the limiting factor, you should NOT be driving.

Didn't they go over the pros?

How about shorter braking distances, better handling and better gas mileage on a sedan?

I dont know.

For lots less than the price of an Escalade you can buy a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat.

Personally i think the 707 bhp Sedan has more Swagger.

The 300C SRT Hellcat is coming (2017?) if you need even more Swagger.

Last edited:
I love driving our Pilot on long trips not just for the space, but for the comfort and commanding view of the road. Around town, though, it feels like a behemoth to me. This is where my Accord shines; perfect size, no blind spots and great turning radius. The Infiniti is also a comfortable cruiser but the turning radius is trash.

What's your point OP? The article did a pretty even advantage/disadvantage piece for both the sedan and suv. Are you getting the reactions you hoped for by only cut/pasting one segment of it? If you don't like SUVs that fine but this is classic "quote out of context" pot stirring.

From the article also:

The ES 350 is a beautiful car, with none of the dorkiness common to even some of the swankier sedans on the market.

Sedan advantages:

*Sedans are, simply, easier to drive, especially in urban areas. A bigger vehicle means more responsibility, for yourself and for others on the highway as well as pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcycles.

*Sedans are easier to get in and out of as they have low ground clearance, making them good for older drivers.

*Sedans are safer, with a low center of gravity, making them less likely to roll over in a collision.

What I like about a SUV even the smaller ones like the Toyota RAV4 is I don't like the feel of being so low on the road in traffic.

For #3, snow tires do wonders for sedans. They do wonders for AWD SUV's/CUV's too. For somebody in a suburb or urban environment with decent snow removal, snow tires make the sedan get by just fine.

For #2, not everybody needs a ton of space to haul stuff. Most SUV's are hauling air most days, including ours. For a weekend trip for two, a sedan has more than enough space.

For #1, SUV's/CUV's are everywhere around me. There's precisely zero swagger left since they're so ubiquitous.

We have one of each for different reasons.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
For #3, snow tires do wonders for sedans. They do wonders for AWD SUV's/CUV's too. For somebody in a suburb or urban environment with decent snow removal, snow tires make the sedan get by just fine.

For #2, not everybody needs a ton of space to haul stuff. Most SUV's are hauling air most days, including ours. For a weekend trip for two, a sedan has more than enough space.

For #1, SUV's/CUV's are everywhere around me. There's precisely zero swagger left since they're so ubiquitous.

This is true. The "wow that guy is super cool for driving a full size SUV" thing was never REALLY real, but even less so now that you can't go a block without seeing a tahoe or yukon or whatever.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: andyd
Aren't both Lexi, Camry based?
grin2.gif

The current ES350 is Avalon based.

Which is...Camry based?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
What's your point OP? The article did a pretty even advantage/disadvantage piece for both the sedan and suv. Are you getting the reactions you hoped for by only cut/pasting one segment of it? If you don't like SUVs that fine but this is classic "quote out of context" pot stirring.

From the article also:

The ES 350 is a beautiful car, with none of the dorkiness common to even some of the swankier sedans on the market.

Sedan advantages:

*Sedans are, simply, easier to drive, especially in urban areas. A bigger vehicle means more responsibility, for yourself and for others on the highway as well as pedestrians, bicyclists and motorcycles.

*Sedans are easier to get in and out of as they have low ground clearance, making them good for older drivers.

*Sedans are safer, with a low center of gravity, making them less likely to roll over in a collision.

True, I don't like anything other than car.

The reason I cut&paste the only "Sedan disadvantages" was:

Too may points of each type, advantages and disadvantages, so that many will confuse.

I just like to point to disadvantages so that everyone can see it clearly, and if he/she encounter 1 of those 3 then he/she should consider a CUV/SUV or minivan or PU. If none of the 3 main disadvantages applied to him/her then sedan is a good choice. I had no intention of stirring the pot.

As you see, my S2000 has a very small trunk but it is plenty for me, because I rarely need to carry anything more than that tiny trunk can handle. Once every 2-3 months I need to drive my wife car to Costco to buy some supplies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Originally Posted By: andyd
Aren't both Lexi, Camry based?
grin2.gif

The current ES350 is Avalon based.

Which is...Camry based?

Somewhat, My point was it was now based on the larger version of the platform.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

This. SUVs got popular in the 1980s. But snow tires dramatically improved since then. Apparently there was a technological leap forward in the early 1990s.

There are other reasons why an SUV might be useful, but not for many. For a duck hunter or a deer hunter, farmer or rancher, yes, definitely. I have a season ski pass and go skiing every winter weekend with a 4x2 Ford F-150 and Blizzaks No worries.

Big expense with 4x4 and a big trade-off in handling too. Mindlessly buying a 4x4 is dum.

My wife and I both have station wagons now, my Volvo is more sports utility than most SUV's, and both have more load space than most SUV's. I used to have a Pajero, it didn't hold much (but it did do 7 people, although so does the Volvo) and tyres cost a fortune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back