brakes don't want to work on wet roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has happened ever since I bought the car. It's the scariest thing. I have changed out the rotors, pads, and have done a brake fluid flush. That hasn't changed anything. So here it is--

ONLY when roads are wet and/or it's raining, if I press the brakes hard it won't stop. The pedal also wants to come back up on me. If I press it lightly, it WILL stop. When I press the brakes hard, it feels like it's trying to catch so it can stop but it doesn't end up catching. It makes almost like a grinding noise (the pads have a lot of padding though). Also, yesterday the car 'jumped' when pressing hard on the brakes while raining.

Other than that, the car brakes just fine ha. But on a serious note this can be dangerous.

Again, this happened with the old rotors and pads and now with the new rotors and pads so it can't be that.

Help! It's the weirdest thing.

Last edited:
Basically, the car is telling you that you are overdriving your tires. Its pulsing the brakes to keep from locking up the tires so you can maintain control. That is your maximum braking speed with the traction available. Drive slower and more carefully and make sure your tires are in good condition. Buy new ones if they are well worn.

Last edited:
This is a 2000 lincoln town car. The tires have less than 10k on them. Basically new. Goodyear's. I've slammed on the brakes during dry weather and this doesn't happen fyi

Last edited:
It will do it in the dry if you do it hard enough. Find somewhere out in the open and stand on the pedal. You will feel the same pulsation.
What model goodyears?

^ Goodyear Integrity's. And yes, did it on my previous set as well. I look forward to standing on the pedal in dry weather. Lets make some skid marks!

Originally Posted By: gallydif
^ Goodyear Integrity's. And yes, did it on my previous set as well. I look forward to standing on the pedal in dry weather. Lets make some skid marks!

That's the thing, it won't skid because of anti-lock. If ABS is working properly the car may shake a lot but it will slow down faster than if it didn't have anti-lock and you were skidding.

Edit: the Goodyear Integrity looks to be a non-directional tire, so it's not that.

Last edited:
My 2000 town car would give the feeling of jumping sideways when applying the brakes on very wet roads. I never figured out why but it was scary. Some Google research suggested it was because of the left, right front back caliper arrangement of the rear axle but who knows.

It does sound like your abs is coming on early though.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Goodyear Integrity is 1 of the worse tire anyone can buy, I rather have no-name Chinese tire than Goodyear (NO)Integrity.

Agree. This is your problem right here. Try better tires.

Extremely similar vehicle, except the town car is 3" longer.

Test it in an empty parking lot in the rain with nothing to hit. Try a full brake application in a straight line without letting up until it stops. Now try the same thing while making a 90 degree turn, just keep tightening up the wheel if it tries to go wide, dont let up on the brake.

These are some of the first things they teach you in performance driving school. It feels like the stop takes longer than a smooth brake but you will hit the cone every time if you let up to regain smooth braking.

PS For an economy tire that works well in all conditions the General RT43 is a very good tire for the money but I doubt you will need the snow performance.

Last edited:
1. Have a competent mechanic verify that the ABS is working properly.

2. Get better tires; something with a good rating for rain from Tire Rack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back