VW to pay owners up to $10K...

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars...-cars/86462942/

Quote:
In what is being called a ground-breaking agreement, Volkswagen will pay $14.7 billion not only to compensate owners for its polluting "clean" diesel-powered cars, but for environmental mitigation and to set up a fund to promote zero-emissions technology, the government announced Tuesday.

Owners of the 475,000 Volkswagen vehicles with 2-liter diesels covered under the settlement will receive payments ranging from $5,100 to $10,000. In addition, Volkswagen will either repair their cars to bring them into compliance with emissions laws or buy them back or terminate the leases on them.

Still no agreement on the 3-liter diesels.

Goes to show what happens when you get busted for perpetrating a massive, brazen fraud. Whatever you think of the EPA, the fact is the regulations were clear and VW willfully tried to fool the regulators. Part of me admires the cojones it took, but realistically this was just institutional stupidity on a huge scale.

My mother in law owns a 2013 Jetta TDI, very curious to see what the payback value and settlement payment turn out to be. Won't know until the fall at the earliest.

jeff

Actually if you plan to keep your TDI a very long time and get the long term usage out of it that it is capable of, this is a very great deal. There is nothing wrong with the cars other than the emissions issue, and getting paid to keep a car you love, well how can it get better than that.

Having said that, and having owned a 2005 TDI, I would likely go hybrid before I'd go diesel again, if only due to the gouging that US consumers of diesel take at the pump. Always about 40 - 50 cents higher per gallon than unleaded gasoline.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Actually if you plan to keep your TDI a very long time and get the long term usage out of it that it is capable of, this is a very great deal. There is nothing wrong with the cars other than the emissions issue, and getting paid to keep a car you love, well how can it get better than that.

It's unclear whether you will be able to keep it. If VW can't fix it, then they'll have to buy it back from you. I'm guessing you won't get the $10k (or whatever) unless you agree to the buyback.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Goes to show what happens when you get busted for perpetrating a massive, brazen fraud. Whatever you think of the EPA, the fact is the regulations were clear and VW willfully tried to fool the regulators. Part of me admires the cojones it took, but realistically this was just institutional stupidity on a huge scale.

My mother in law owns a 2013 Jetta TDI, very curious to see what the payback value and settlement payment turn out to be. Won't know until the fall at the earliest.

jeff

100% correct. VW's fault and their's alone.

We (mainly my wife's DD) own a 2013 TDI Passat. We've put 55k miles on it and it's been a great car. No issues at all. I'd like to keep it...but we'll probably sell it back, judging by what we'll be offered in terms of a settlement. The numbers make it a no brainer.

It was our first VW. Can't say that I'm interested in getting another - simply due to lack of interest in anything else they sell. I don't hold any resentment towards the company or the brand. Not even sure we'll replace it. We own a few other vehicles.

That's awesome, my aunt will be selling her 2013 TDI Beetle back to VW. It's already had $5,000-$6,000 in work to it, and the A/C is acting up once again.

Fortunately it has an extended warranty.

Originally Posted By: wemay

jeff

EPA bears a lot of the burden here.

Why should the US move from the European emissions standard on these vehicles? Isn't that enough?

Why some higher bar to limit/preclude diesel engines from becoming a staple in the US just like they are in Europe. The EPA's standards are just a barrier to entry.

Mazda still hasn't gotten their Skyactiv-D into the US after all this time. Doesn't that tell you something.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
There is nothing wrong with the cars other than the emissions issue, and getting paid to keep a car you love, well how can it get better than that.

Let's see:
they eat fuel pumps like candy
they eat CD's like candy
they freeze their intercoolers like,,, popsicles
they melt their fuse boxes like fire
they crack their DPF's

The common rail TDI has been the most problem prone vehicle I've heard of in a long time. Some eat rear brakes, some have clanging dual-mass flywheels and there are probably many other small issues that nickel and dime people to death.

I was a HUGE Volkswagen fan until I got this A5 model common-rail TDI. This was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'll be glad to see it gone.

Personally I always thought these cars(tdi) were overpriced by $2500 so owners are getting the stupid premium back. The bonus is great. My sis in law at 90k on a 2013 tdi wagon is so stoked about this. She loves the car.

jeff

...but i forgot to add. It appears to be a fair decision for the consumer and the right move by VW.

...but i forgot to add. It appears to be a fair decision for the consumer and the right move by VW.

Just to be clear, it's a court settlement. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Why should the US move from the European emissions standard on these vehicles? Isn't that enough?

Why some higher bar to limit/preclude diesel engines from becoming a staple in the US just like they are in Europe. The EPA's standards are just a barrier to entry.

Mazda still hasn't gotten their Skyactiv-D into the US after all this time. Doesn't that tell you something.

The US and Europe don't have common standards for many things. It doesn't matter what they do in Europe or that Mazda's cars don't meet the specs. The rules are clear and several companies appear to have no problem meeting them (simplistically it seems that after treatment systems are necessary and VW tried to get away without it). VW chose to break the law rather than just design their cars to actually meet the requirements, and for whatever reason Mazda has decided not to tailor their design to meet them.

jeff

At least from what I understand it looks like the only way to get money from VW is to either get your car fixed with the new emission equipment or to have a buyback if the car can't be fixed. That's good news that owners are not going to get money and just sit on the sideline and not fixed them.

jeff

VW cheated emissions in Europe, too.

I don't think you want European emissions standards. We like air you can breathe. You should see some of the buildings in Europe, all black from all that diesel exhaust.

jeff

HM...........this isn't Europe? I grew up in a valley area (1960s) of Southern California. As a child you couldn't see the mountains 20 miles away, and my throat would hurt when I played outside. NOW-there are over double the number of people-and the corresponding number of cars-AND THE AIR IS CLEANER THAN WHEN I GREW UP.

I think the EPA and CARB is this instance are great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back