Proper way to dispose of oil soaked rags/towels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

I am not sure if this is the correct area for these types of questions (apologies in advance), but here we go!

I was unable to find precise answers to these questions and I was hoping maybe a few of you could guide me in the right direction and/or assist:

1) What is the proper way to dispose of oil soaked rags/towels/materials?

2) What is the proper way to deal with oil run-off/contaminated water when cleaning tools, funnels, and other equipment?

I know there are many "methods" that people utilize and have been utilizing for a long time (drying out, burning, laundering, hosing off etc..) but I am not sure if any one way specifically hits the mark around "proper" disposal (eco-friendly), is there a proper way to handle these types of hazardous materials?

I have called around locally to various auto-part stores and shops that deal with oil recycling but they could not really provide a clear answer to the question and seemed unsure themselves on what to do with oil residue and oil contaminated material.

I was thinking of referencing and/or contacting a hazardous waste department for the county to see what they say or research further with the EPA, but unfortunately so far anything that I have found has been anything but direct.

I thought there would be some well known and clear-cut guidelines on how to handle this. (considering how long the automotive industry has been around)

Anyone have some insight into this?

Any additional information is appreciated
laugh.gif

Last edited:
My answer to #2 is to wipe things off with towels...if water is needed, something high detergent/soap is used to break up the oil before it hits the drain.

For #1, there may be some entity that does this (new business opportunity?) But an incinerator comes to mind.

Last edited:
Businesses have to use a Hazwaste disposal company. That is the law as they cannot transport Hazwaste or discard it in the trash. Used household rags can go in the trash. Don't wash oil off of things and let it go down the storm drain. Wipe the things down and throw the rags away in the trash. Laws are different for household use and disposal.

Hypothetically, spread some 99% water, 1% oil on asphalt. THe water will evaporate off while the oil will soak into and bind with the asphalt.

You don't want it going down a storm drain.

I was thinking septic or sewer...definitely no oily water out to pollute rivers and streams.

Last edited:
I wipe my funnels down with paper towels or the blue paper towels, If more cleaning is needed, i use carb cleaner and let the used pile of paper towels catch the runoff. The next day, i burn the paper towels.

I don't use water much for that type cleaning.

For #1, my burn pit at my home works really well. Used oil is great for burning old wood piles, along with a old tire or two to really get things going. I don't use water to clean tools and such. Like was mentioned, something like a good cleaner, Carb or TB cleaner, etc and I usually catch the stuff and put it in the used oil drum. I have a source of huge bags of rags that get thrown out from a commercial cleaning company. Either use them or blue shop towels. Great to live rural.

Unfortunately I still have not gotten around to make any phone calls yet
frown.gif

work, work, work.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Laws are different for household use and disposal.

I guess I would say that I am not speaking on the basis of law, but just best environmental practices.

I would imagine regardless of being established as residential or business, hazardous waste needs to be disposed of in a similar fashion through another facility or company.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The next day, i burn the paper towels.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
For #1, my burn pit at my home works really well.

I would imagine the fumes that are let off during the burning process is pollution and no good for the environment, unless there was some type of conversion done for the fumes.
Is this what the hazardous waste companies typically do?

- - - - - - -

There must be some type of local facility that would accept household hazardous waste... hopefully calling around will yield to something.

Thanks everyone for replying and sharing
smile.gif

Last edited:
First, make sure that you understand the difference between used oil and waste oil/hazardous waste oil:

https://www.google.com/#q=used+oil+hazardous+waste This link is good: www.ecy.wa.gov/pubs/0204006.pdf

Oily rags from vehicle oil are not hazardous waste (unless they are contaminated with other hazardous waste products). They "can" fall under used oil regulations. It seems that individual state regulations vary. Some rags can be laundered, some can go into the landfill. Some can be burned for energy.

https://www.google.com/#q=used+oil+rags .....

Then, investigate "epa used oil rags": https://www.google.com/#q=epa+used+oil+rags ....and epa regulation 40 CFR part 279.... https://www.google.com/#q=used+oil+regulations+found+in+40+CFR+Part+279

When you get the answer, please share it with us. My workplace has a system in place to receive oily rags that are not laundered or dumpster bound, so I cannot specifically answer your question. Have fun researching this! To repeat, there is a big difference between used oil and waste oil.

You know I have an idea for restaurants to dump their mop water into a certain plant's area and another area for them to dump all of their waste food.

I bet if the EPA would stick their nose in the restaurant business (where there are probably hundreds in every city in America) we could greatly help with pollutions. I mean this sincerely as I enjoy the EPA mission.

I was happy to hear TiredTrucker and was agreeing with him until he mentioned burning tires. A big nono. Might as well bury it.

Oil soaked rags will produce smoke and could annoy your lungs or that of your neighbors'. I would suggest an old stump- like that cut from a tree. Find a way to let the oil soak into it and dam it up so the runoff from when it rains doesnt get everywhere it shouldnt.

That is my best suggest for doing ityourself. Get a wood pile, stumps, sticks and let them soak up and 'eat' the oil. And if you decide to burn from time to time, it should burn easily and may actually smell good if the chemicals arent terribly bad.

I use them for starting my fire pit up. I just toss it on the wood pile and light it up. Keeps a strong flame while the wood catches fire.

These old oily rags can spontaneously combust when stored, or allowed to pile up. They should be tossed into a bucket/pail of water then tossed into the trash on pick up day.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I was happy to hear TiredTrucker and was agreeing with him until he mentioned burning tires. A big nono. Might as well bury it.

Oil soaked rags will produce smoke and could annoy your lungs or that of your neighbors'. I would suggest an old stump- like that cut from a tree. Find a way to let the oil soak into it and dam it up so the runoff from when it rains doesnt get everywhere it shouldnt.

That is my best suggest for doing ityourself. Get a wood pile, stumps, sticks and let them soak up and 'eat' the oil. And if you decide to burn from time to time, it should burn easily and may actually smell good if the chemicals arent terribly bad.

Why would using a tire to help get a wood pile burning be a big no no? No different that burning oily rags. Tire is predominantly petroleum product. A wood pile I would do that with is not just a pile of sticks, but a pile of trees. The neighbors are not a worry. They do worse things than I do in this regard. And closest neighbor is 1/2 mile from my place. This isn't suburban or city dwelling. Nearest town is 12 miles away. Obviously not everyone can do it this way. Nice to live rural.

I put my oil soaked rags in our red metal rag can. Local company takes and cleans them and gives us a huge bag of freshly cleaned ones each Friday.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
These old oily rags can spontaneously combust when stored, or allowed to pile up. They should be tossed into a bucket/pail of water then tossed into the trash on pick up day.

Only if it is boiled linseed oil or something with chemical/metallic dryers in it. Otherwise it will need some source of ignition.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: gman2304

Only if it is boiled linseed oil or something with chemical/metallic dryers in it. Otherwise it will need some source of ignition.

I agree, petroleum oil soaked rags will not spontaneously combust...linseed oil(boiled or not) soaked rags will, or at least can if left in a pile.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
As long as the oily rags are not dripping with oil they can go into the trash.

As far as I know, that's the way it is at work and at home for me. Huge oil filter elements at work sit on a drain pan for a week or more until they don't drip, and then get tossed into regular trash. Soaked stuff goes into designated drums and gets picked up by SafetyClean or the likes. Used oil rags at home I tie-off in grocery bags and toss into the trash. I'll ring them out in my used oil pan if for some reason they got totally soaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back