Small grease guns only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I've got a few large and a few small grease guns. I have a fleet of cars, but only one with zerks.

Is there any reason not to run only small grease guns? Ie get rid of my big ones?

Even if there's a small pressure difference, is it really that critical? The grease flows or the zerk is clogged.

I'm thinking of keeping the grease in 14oz tubes, then just putting a bit into 3oz tubes as I need it. I'll only keep schaeffers 274 and Mobil 1 or Mobil synthetic (220?). This way less mess, smaller guns to store, smaller to handle.

Even if we buy a boat and have a dual axle trailer, or a new full size pickup, is there anything the small guns can't do that the big ones can?

My only reservation is availability/selection. You can choose from any number of big tubes at the LAPS, but the small tubes are only available in a few brands.

Once I discovered I could pack the guns, the tubes aren't as attractive.

I have one big and one small; the big has a rubber hose and the small a straight metal one. Some zerks are crabby and need the gun held on them forcefully, which the small one excels at.

My small gun came with some really generic grease, in tubes, I haven't dared to open yet.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
My only reservation is availability/selection. You can choose from any number of big tubes at the LAPS, but the small tubes are only available in a few brands.

Ive found some 30z plastic tubes that could be easily refilled.

So to clarify, I would still notionally buy 14oz tubes or 1lb tubs, but just pack a few oz at a time to use. It would be sufficient for the job at hand, and prevent the mess of running and separating that always happens when I keep a big tube in a big gun, even with the pressure off. They just make too big a mess, and I don't use nearly enough.

I guess if your not dealing with heavy equipment or old farm machinery, you don't really need a high pressure gun. The odd zerk on my cars don't seen to need much pressure. Keep one full size though, you'll probably acquire something old that needs ancient grease pushed through at some point.

I use a small grease gun to maintain all the vehicles in my sig. It's plenty good. If u have more to maintain, a large gun may be more convenient

I inherited a pneumatic grease gun. I really never look at it as it is stored since it is of no use to me.

I already worry too much about popping the seals when I inject grease. Why add to it?

Are all of the mini guns pistol grip or do the operate by lever?

One large with a long hose and a short one-hand gun grease my stuff just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back