Which M1 oils are true synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

I've seen a lot of discussion about some Mobil1 base stocks not being True Group IV synthetics but rather Group III mineral, does somebody have some sort of a list of the base stocks of which are "real" synthetics? Specially interested in the 15w50 Racing 4T motorcycle oil

Well, Autoteile-Meile maybe wrong in some cases, I would suggest to make a search over a couple German web-sites to make a precise list.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I've seen a lot of discussion about some Mobil1 base stocks not being True Group IV synthetics but rather Group III mineral, does somebody have some sort of a list of the base stocks of which are "real" synthetics? Specially interested in the 15w50 Racing 4T motorcycle oil

M1 fully synthetic oils (all of them) have base stocks of several fluids. Among which are PAOs, and esters which produce a better lubricant than 100% PAO and ester. IMO. I have used M1 oils for 38 years and my experience is todays M1 is as good as any I have used.
Besides M1s base is not fully fully known by the public, and certainly your statement that their base is grp 3 mineral is wrong.

Remember, it's performance that counts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1

M1 fully synthetic oils (all of them) have base stocks of several fluids. Among which are PAOs, and esters which produce a better lubricant than 100% PAO and ester. IMO. I have used M1 oils for 38 years and my experience is todays M1 is as good as any I have used.
Besides M1s base is not fully fully known by the public, and certainly your statement that their base is grp 3 mineral is wrong.

Remember, it's performance that counts.

If only it wasn't so darn expensive! the 0w40 costs about 50 Euro in the 5L jug at a auto parts store near me, and the 15w50 Racing 4T oil which i want to try is between 50 and 75 Euro online as i can't get it locally

If only it wasn't so darn expensive! the 0w40 costs about 50 Euro in the 5L jug at a auto parts store near me, and the 15w50 Racing 4T oil which i want to try is between 50 and 75 Euro online as i can't get it locally

It is not expensive. If you go to any garage in Switzerland to change the oil you will be charged 40 EUR for liter of average oil like Total or ELF brand. Plus the labor.

You are in Spain, right? How about Shell or Valvoline (made in Netherlands) or Total? I've seen a few with MB 229 spec on the spanish version of reifendirekt:

http://www.neumaticos-online.es/cgi-bin/...icle_disabled=1

Did we NOT just discuss this? In grades under 50, its 0w20EP.
4T is not. M1 30 grade racing is. This is according to the usually unreliable SDS. Its all Ive seen. Who knows.

Labeling non sysnthetic mineral oil as synthetic is a joke. You label Chickory as coffee?

Last edited:
In the USA severely processed dino's can be labeled as synthetic. As soon as that cat was out of the bag, I'm sure Mobil saw profit margin and added it to the mix... Why wouldn't they in the biggest, most competitive market?

And, what difference does it make?

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
In the USA severely processed dino's can be labeled as synthetic. As soon as that cat was out of the bag, I'm sure Mobil saw profit margin and added it to the mix... Why wouldn't they in the biggest, most competitive market?

One big difference is that ARCO can make so many more posts that the oils are not "true" synthetics.

ExxonMobil saw the worldwide availability of PAO as limiting their sales and developed Visom as a result. The internal presentation on the properties of Visom as opposed to PAO is easily available on the Internet.

And you are correct it makes very little difference. In fact, in some areas it was shown to be superior.

But it could all be moot considering it looks like they have moved back to a majority PAO formulation for most products.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr

It is not expensive. If you go to any garage in Switzerland to change the oil you will be charged 40 EUR for liter of average oil like Total or ELF brand. Plus the labor.

You are in Spain, right? How about Shell or Valvoline (made in Netherlands) or Total? I've seen a few with MB 229 spec on the spanish version of reifendirekt:

http://www.neumaticos-online.es/cgi-bin/...icle_disabled=1

40 Euro a litre? I guess the salaries of people compensate for that... and yes i am currently using shell and will use valvoline next

Putting aside the definition or interpretation of what IS a synethetic, Mobil 1 has been a blend of III+/IV and V base oils used in varying percentages depending on the grade. That's all there is to it. And most, if not all brands do the same thing. I believe M1 uses more PAO than most if not all the retail brands. The boutique brands are ripping people off by not only doing the same thing, but not even disclosing anymore what base oils they are using. Boutique brands are just not relevant anymore at all.

Originally Posted By: TTK

One big difference is that ARCO can make so many more posts that the oils are not "true" synthetics.
How you liking that magnetec in a 20 grade?

Gee, it looks like even Bruno gave up
smile.gif

I have a new Rolex presidential I'll sell you for 350 bucks.
You'll find out later when it breaks in a year that its a fake. Barely plated Gold. Quartz crystals instead of Diamonds. Low grade steel housing. It sure does look real though. Chicks at the bar dig me in it
smile.gif

Last edited:

Is this for your Capri ?

Originally Posted By: Popsy

Is this for your Capri ?

Weeell i've already decided to use VR1 for the next change and i miiight use it in the future just to try it out, but i was asking this primarily because of the debate over M1 being a "true synthetic"

But isn't it motorcycle oil?

I'm not sure we have M1 15W50 in Europe (too bad), only 5W50 ?

(I may be wrong)

Can you get Yacco Galaxie 15W50?
Or Motul 300V 15W50?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
ExxonMobil saw the worldwide availability of PAO as limiting their sales and developed Visom as a result. The internal presentation on the properties of Visom as opposed to PAO is easily available on the Internet.

And you are correct it makes very little difference. In fact, in some areas it was shown to be superior.

But it could all be moot considering it looks like they have moved back to a majority PAO formulation for most products.

I was wondering whatever became of their move to grp III Visom base stocks. Has M1 moved away from Visom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back