No alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daily driver (Grey Jetta) is in the shop for a new clutch. I have decided to drive my parts car (Green Jetta) the 70 miles daily for work. I paid $300 for the green Jetta and the best thing I can say about it is that it runs. However, the alternator does not work. I have been driving the car for a week while charging the battery every night. I start the car every morning by rolling it down the drive way and jumping it as well as parking on a slope at work. With the weather heating up, I've had to break down and start using the AC. Any advice/tips for getting the most out of my battery every day? I've noticed that I only have enough juice for 3 or 4 starts before the engine will no longer turn over.

Well you are deeply discharging your battery....its life span and capacity to take a charge is only going to get shorter every time you drive it.

Id throw an alternator on it if I was you. Otherwise you may end up replacing it AND a battery in short order.

Last edited:
Don't run the A/C, headlights, or defoggers.
Or just fix your alternator, they are easy enough to fix.
70 miles is already around 2x as far as I would expect you to be able to go on just the battery alone.

Most alternators fail because the brushes wear out. If you can buy a brush set for $5 or so that is usually all you need to get some more miles out of it.

I replace the brushes on my Honda alternator every 5 to 8 years or so and I'm on the original alternator from 1984 after 32 years.

unless you are planning on junking the car you might as well fix the alternator.. it will be nearly impossible to sell without one(as more than a parts car/scrap).

Advance autoparts has one for about 110$ after online coupon.

I dont see how you would run A/C without a battery for any length of time. 35 miles one way, you are likely on the highway for awhile and it might be ok then, but at soon as you get off and dip under 35-40mph or so, its going to kick on the cooling fan and thats gonna pull major amps.
If you are too cheap to buy a alternator, you might have to just tough it out until your other one is out of the shop.

What's taking them so long to do a clutch? It should take them way less than a day.

My 04 TDI got a new DMF (transmission removed) and I got the car back in less than 7 hours. And that included installing a new axle and servicing the transmission.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
What's taking them so long to do a clutch? It should take them way less than a day.

My 04 TDI got a new DMF (transmission removed) and I got the car back in less than 7 hours. And that included installing a new axle and servicing the transmission.

The nearest guy I trust to do it can't get me in until July 6 for a clutch replacement. I realize an alternator is t that expensive. For $300, I bought the car mainly for parts and as a learning tool. My job isn't that secure at the moment so I'm trying to save every penny possible. I appreciate all the information about battery life and draining it. I've been trying to find an outlet at work to plug into during the day. Maybe I should stop being cheap and just drive the convertible.

if cash is tight do not run the AC. The battery is designed to only used 20% of its total capacity. By running it below that, its life is being shortened a good bit. A few weeks of deep discharge like that will accelerate its wear, or finish it off if it's already a couple of years old. That's another $75 new.

It's the ECU & TCU if it is an auto that are your reasons for dying.

I am actually surprised it is lasting as long as it has. Once the ECU doesn't see a good 12v source it usually shuts the engine off.

I had an dying alt on a TDI but only at idle did it fail to charge, most likely the regulator but it's much easier to replace the whole unit especially if your pully is bad as well.

TDI's are so efficient that the cooling fans are almost never needed. Airflow from driving is enough.

Last edited:
LOL you have an extra car that you can use that is fine (Solara) and you're being cheap on gas? I used a calculator. About $3.50 a day for fuel for TDI, $6.50 a day for fuel for Toyota. Not being broken down and not having to constantly charge a battery would be worth $3 a day to me.

I have found it is much cheaper to drive a gas hog than it is a TDI. I had one, and it was $5,000 a year in repairs. I've had my Camry for 10 months and so far repairs have totaled $140. Not too shabby. Oil changes consist of clearance oil or free oil, so they cost less than $10 usually. The TDI cost $70 per oil change (Myself).

So:
TDI fuel per 22,000 miles a year: $1,337. Repairs: $5,000. Total yearly cost is $6,337

Camry fuel per 22,000 miles a year: $1,903. Repairs: $140. Total yearly cost is $2,043.

Gas mileage isn't everything in my experience. Now don't even get me started on my aunt's 2013 TDI...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Buy an alternator.

+1. But maybe you can find one from a junk yard. 45 years ago I bought junk yard parts. I even replaced a water pump from a 69 Ford Fairlane that came from a wreck.

Last edited:
There have been some wild posts the last couple days. Don't listen to the people that say you need an alternator, get a couple of these and swap them out during your commute.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back