Any body tried somthing like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if you don't know the first thing about science, it should be a red flag that he is referring to the "carburetor" on a GMT400 truck. It doesn't have a carb
spankme2.gif

Vacuum Pressure? Got to be one or the other.

What is a carburetor? (Gone the way of Points, Condensers, Dwell Meters, etc).

I knew a guy (a wheeler dealer) who had one in his car and was trying to sell the plans.

Some people may call it Snake Oil, but I call it Mouse Milk.

Ok, thanks guys. May be he's just getting kick backs from poster puddy and arm n hammer lol. He dosent appear to be trying to sale anything or maybe hes just really convinced it works.

The biggest problem for me is the very unfavorable thermodynamics of producing hydrogen from water. Oxides are generally extremely stable compounds and the energy required to dissociate water is correspondingly high. Factor in efficiency losses and the energy required to obtain the hydrogen is higher than you are going to get burning it in the engine. So before you even introduce it to the combustion chamber you're looking at a net loss of energy. Any time you take one compound, dissociate it, and turn it back into the same compound you're going to lose energy since nothing is 100% efficient.

This is often countered with meaningless mumbo-jumbo about synergistic effects or other totally unsupported claims. None of which are backed up by a chemical or thermodynamic explanation whatsoever.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Any time you take one compound, dissociate it, and turn it back into the same compound you're going to lose energy since nothing is 100% efficient.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

First law of thermodynamics - conservation of energy. If you start with water and add enough energy to get hydrogen and oxygen, when you burn the hydrogen with oxygen, you will get no more energy out than you put in to it.

And, since you're burning the hydrogen in a heat engine, you get the intrinsic energy losses (dictated by the second law of thermodynamics) so that the amount of work (useful engine output) will be significantly less than the electrical energy put in to the system to generate the hydrogen.

Now, if you created the hydrogen and used it in a fuel cell (a hydrogen powered battery), you'd get closer to the same amount of energy out that you put in to it.

Fuel cell technology isn't ready for this quite yet - putting the electrical energy into a battery is more efficient, and then you use it to power an electric car.

tl;dr: The first and second laws of thermodynamics argue that this cannot work as advertized.

While I agree with everything said so far regarding the laws of thermodynamics, and that an engine that ran purely on "HHO" would simply not be feasable.

I have, however, wondered in the past whether introducing gaseous oxygen and hydrogen into a gasoline/air mixture might not result in more thorough burning of the gasoline itself, which could potentially lead to better power and/or MPG.. and if it did, would it be enough to offset the parasitic loss incurred at the alternator as a result of generating said hydrogen and oxygen?

Just thinking out loud of course..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back