Castrol magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know anything about this oil? Has anyone done any testing on it yet compared to other oils specifically in the 5-30 range? Thx in advance

It's doing really well for fords 3.7L Eco boosts engines which are known for going through oil pretty quick. Search the threads on here and see for yourself

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
It's doing really well for fords 3.7L Eco boosts engines which are known for going through oil pretty quick. Search the threads on here and see for yourself

+1
OP, Go to the UOA forum and search Magnatec. Many impressive UOA's there.
Edit: It's $17.88 for a 5 qt jug at WM, so it's a great oil for a great deal.

Last edited:
I really like it, have not done a UOA but just might I am on my third consecutive run of it in the KIA. Good stuff.

Other UOA's have shown very low wear numbers and shear stability. The price is definitely right too.

Castrol Magnatec is great oil, it has an additive that is designed to cling to the metal engine parts, resist oil drain back when parked and protect on start-up. The advertising is trite, but the chemistry is real.

The Magnatec 5W-30 semi-synthetic you are interested in, has produced some fantastic UOA (used oil analysis) with very low iron wear numbers. Here is one
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3839330/

Right now I have Castrol Magnatec 10W-30 (SN, A3/B4, semi-synthetic) in my car and it's the smoothest oil I have ever used in that car. When I'm stopped at a red light, I keep catching myself glancing down at the instruments to check the engine is still running and not stalled. It's always running fine, just super smooth.

If I didn't have a massive stash of other oils to work through, I would just settle on the Magnatec and be done with it. It's pretty well priced around me too (for Oz).

Running it in my wife's Escape Eco-Boost and noticed right away how quiet the engine is over the factory fill (Motorcraft Semi-Syn). Still got some Edge to run through on my F150 Eco-Boost (currently has a dealer freebie oil change) but once I do I think I'll be using it in both my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
What is the reasoning behind the 5w-20 being labeled a full syn, while the 5w-30 is a blend?

I have wondered about this as well.

Originally Posted By: ChadW
Anyone know anything about this oil? Has anyone done any testing on it yet compared to other oils specifically in the 5-30 range? Thx in advance

Not exactly Gods liquid Gold (LM Synthoil High Tech's), but a real good one that is up there with the Ultra angels.
Most common range for Mag is 10w40 and the thin ones are very similar to Casteroil Edge.

It was OEM spec for older Volvo cars before Edge 5w40 was brewed up, so good for fairly long OCI's.

Don't confuse engine oil related performance with oil type, as it's very viscosity related. Just changing the oil can make a difference, also SAE groups cover a range of different kinematic viscosities, so for example, Maxlife 10w40 is thicker than Casteroil 10w40.

Funny how far this forum has come.
I have been using all grades for quite a long time in
many vehicles and back then it was approached as a scam....
Yeah look back. I have my own ideas about it but hey, doesn't everybody?????

Then a few UOA's come and its from the loins of angels.......lol

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Funny how far this forum has come.
I have been using all grades for quite a long time in
many vehicles and back then it was approached as a scam....

Then a few UOA's come and its from the loins of angels.......lol

I've read a lot of old Magnatec threads, like this one from 2008, and it's mostly been seen in a positive light.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1282238

But I agree, it has really taken off recently, with a few good UOA's. But it's an even playing field in that respect.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I thought about trying Magnetec but it's not available in 10W-30 at Walmart.

+1
They only carry 5w-20 and 5w-30 at my local Walmart where I work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
What is the reasoning behind the 5w-20 being labeled a full syn, while the 5w-30 is a blend?

Dexos 1 most likely. They were able to make 13% Noack on the 5W30 with only 50-60% GIII but had to eliminate the GII to make 13% on the 5W20. Motorcraft 5W20 runs 15% Noack at 60% GIII.

I also have only seen it in the wild in 5w20 / 5w30 and it seems to be selling well as Wally's is often just about out of one or the other.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I also have only seen it in the wild in 5w20 / 5w30 and it seems to be selling well as Wally's is often just about out of one or the other.

I'm trying to build up the courage to try it in 5W-30. They don't stock it in 10W-30.

I just did an oil change and decided to try the 5W-30 Magnatec this time as it was much cheaper than the Mobil 1 synthetic I had been using before. Honestly I cannot tell any kind of difference how the car is running with this oil as opposed to Mobil 1 they both seem to do a very good job. For me in Texas it is more about how the oil handles high tempertures as opposed cold start ups right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back