Car stereo choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am looking to change the OEM radio cassette with graphic equalizer in my 1986 Buick Regal T Type. I am only looking for something CD, Bluetooth and a clock. Nothing crazy just old school basic with separate preset buttons for my old stubby fingers. I know the brands are not the same quality nor are they made where they once were. At the moment I am looking at JVC and Pioneer. Any ideas or opinions?

Last edited:
I like the way Pioneers work, so I bought one for my Camry last year. The one I bought doesn't have Bluetooth though.

I do recommend www.sonicelectronix.com for stereos and installation kits though.

(No, I have no affiliation with them)

OTOH, I can't stand Pioneer and went JVC for my install. Double DIN in an 03 F350, CD, DVD, backup cam, nice touchscreen, Sirius ready. Bluetooth works flawlessly, excellent sound. JVC and Kenwood are clones under different labels, and styles, but the basic hardware is the same. 349. @ Crutchfield.

+1 on Pioneer. They have the best sound quality and are the easiest to operate while driving, and also have the cleanest looks of any stereo available right now. You can get the most in-depth operation and feature details and reviews on Pioneer at Crutchfield. Then you can check Sonic Electronix or Amazon to see if they have better prices. Watch yourself on Amazon though, be sure the seller is an authorized Pioneer retailer.

Crutchfield has higher prices but if you buy from them you get free lifetime installation help and technical support, and their technical department is actually very good and based in Virginia. Crutchfield also provides free "Master Sheet" instruction sheets to help you with the installation and free or very low priced installation parts depending on the price of the new deck. You will need an installation kit to mount the new deck in the dash, a wire harness to connect the new deck to the existing factory radio wire plug and an adapter to change the GM mini antenna plug over to the standard Motorola style antenna jack on an aftermarket deck. It is super easy to install a new deck in your Regal.

It's good to see someone else from Clermont here on BITOG.

Spend a few extra dollars and get something with a built-in HD radio tuner. Such a radio receives additional free stations in very high quality, better sound quality than the crummy bitrate XM/Sirius. I know JVC makes such radios. I get extra sports stations, a few re-broadcasted AM stations on the FM dial and additional music stations. One local station has TWO extra HD stations on the same frequency!
xdzf5e.jpg

vyuk9g.jpg
2yls7id.jpg

Crutchfield recommended the Pioneer DEH-X6800BS based on my requirements for separate preset buttons. It cost $120 and just came out on 06/16 so there are no reviews.
I also found a JVC KD SR81BT at Walmart. Buttons were perfect but its discontinued and can only be had as a refurb for $55.

Last edited:
I've had JVC Arsenal in my Mustang for many years now. Plenty happy with it over all but I'm also not super picky.

It lacks preset buttons, but it very easy to use once its set up and your accustom to it.

I personally do not like JVC very much, their display is very hard/impossible to read in sunlight and JVC is not very easy to operate while driving. JVC has come a long way on sound quality but is still nowhere even close to Pioneer. The new Pioneer decks look great too.

It's hard to find a head unit that isn't obnoxious. Be careful. Giant touch screens in an 80's car will just look stupid.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It's hard to find a head unit that isn't obnoxious. Be careful. Giant touch screens in an 80's car will just look stupid.

I agree. That's why I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-X6800BS

Originally Posted By: 007

I agree. That's why I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-X6800BS

A giant touch screen/double din will not fit in his car, not without a lot of work and customization. He has the standard 1980's J-Style din and a half radio provision in the dash. That is why he needs the installation kit.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Spend a few extra dollars and get something with a built-in HD radio tuner. Such a radio receives additional free stations in very high quality, better sound quality than the crummy bitrate XM/Sirius. I know JVC makes such radios. I get extra sports stations, a few re-broadcasted AM stations on the FM dial and additional music stations. One local station has TWO extra HD stations on the same frequency!
xdzf5e.jpg

vyuk9g.jpg
2yls7id.jpg

I actually hate the HD Radio on VWs. On the 2013 VW Beetle TDI I turned it off, it sounded gross. It exaggerated the highs and lows but not in a pleasant way, it added a "filter" onto the music and didn't sound good at all.

But I actually hate the speakers in it too, should have sprang for the higher end one for the stereo, but fortunately VW is gonna buy it back.

Nakamichi head-unit isn't. I have 10 years old Nakamichi head-unit in my S2000, it looks just like OEM unit without dancing digital images.

Nakamichi NA135 3" LCD DVD Receiver with Bluetooth for less than $90 on Amazon

41Ab4zJHHOL._SX466_.jpg

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
xdzf5e.jpg

vyuk9g.jpg
2yls7id.jpg

+1 on HD Radio.
The last aftermarket car stereo that I picked up was for the Ranger in my signature. It was an Alpine with HD that Crutchfield had on sale for $99.
Nice radio, and excellent service from Crutchfield.

You mean the LOUD buttons. Jazzy colors and bright flashing lights?

What I dont get is why none have dual knobs. I love dual knobs. One for the volume. One for the tuner. It is one area where factory OEM wins imo.

The OEM radio cassette with graphic equalizer in my 1986 Buick Regal T Type is actually laid out well. Just seems like the 5 band equalizer really doesn't do much. I swapped out the speakers in hope of improving things but that did not pan out. It also only has 4 presets, just a cassette player and no bluetooth as mentioned.Its been real hard finding something not so complicated, has limited bells and whistles and will look ok in the dash for a replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back