Dollar Tree Synthetic Blend Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a perfectly serviceable oil despite the silly trash talk from those saying that they wouldn't use it to lube a funnel.
The odd package size is obviously intended to meet the retail price point.
At a buck a quart, this oil would be a real deal. At a buck for 16 oz, it would be okay for those who never plan ahead. At a buck for 11 oz, it's a poor value.
Dollar Tree does offer some real deals. This isn't one of them.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Stick with name brands. These oils are too risky. 99 Cent Only Stores sell the 76 (Phillips) I believe.

Yeah, that API license means nothing at all.
Right?

Originally Posted By: gallydif
A Dollar Tree recently opened up by me and I had never been to one so decided to check it out. I was amazed! Everything is literally a $1 unliek family dollar. I feel bad for the mom and pop corner stores around here though, dollar tree will probably take business away from them. Anyways, being the bitog person I am, I had check the auto section. They have windshield washer fluid in the same size as walmart for $1 which is cheaper than walmart. I bought a bottle.

I ran across their motor oil. Little 11oz bottles ha. 3 of those make a quart. It's $1 a bottle obviously, so $15 for 5 quarts. Not that good. It says synthetic blend though and SN gf-5. Here are some pics of it. Thoughts?

I would love to see a VOA and UOA! In the mean time...
My 2 cents....
I have zero knowledge of this oil, but for $2 more, I can buy 5 qrts of Magnatec that has a proven track record.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Looks like a perfectly serviceable oil despite the silly trash talk from those saying that they wouldn't use it to lube a funnel.
The odd package size is obviously intended to meet the retail price point.
At a buck a quart, this oil would be a real deal. At a buck for 16 oz, it would be okay for those who never plan ahead. At a buck for 11 oz, it's a poor value.
Dollar Tree does offer some real deals. This isn't one of them.

I wonder how many engines will be under filled because people don't read the volume?

The oil is great but the bottles that are about 2 microns thick will burst open inside your car on the way home.

I looked at the picture first before reading anything and thought to myself - "am I seeing this right, because that guy's hand is HUGE!"

Then I read that they were 11oz bottles.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: tojo1968

I wonder how many engines will be under filled because people don't read the volume?

You are absolutely correct.

I hope PQIA follows their own precedent and sues another company for selling properly marked, labeled, and positioned petroleum product to protect those of us who are unable or unwilling to read product labels.

Lmao at the 11 oz. bottles.

If this stuff is actually API SN then I'm sure it's fine to use, just a ripoff at that price. Why pay $15 for 5 quarts of this stuff when Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend is $15.88 in a 5 quart jug at Walmart & you know what you're getting is good?

Yep. I was thinking the EXACT same thing as I read the posts above yours.
"Hooked on Math" worked for me people might be in trouble with this set up.

Oil for topping up that would probably appeal to the kind of consumer that goes in there looking for something like that. If it was a Warren product or similar I might use it for that purpose.

I would agree that there are other dollar stores where you occasionally see name brand quart bottles of oil for a dollar although they're usually in 10w-30/40 grade. I've seen quarts of Peak and Union 76 at a dollar in a 99 Cent Only store but you don't seem to see that as much anymore.

Originally Posted By: meborder

I hope PQIA follows their own precedent and sues another company for selling properly marked, labeled, and positioned petroleum product to protect those of us who are unable or unwilling to read product labels.

PQIA has never sued anyone and has no involvement in the class actions suits against Dollar General. PQIA simple analyzes motor oils and reports its findings. Its piece on the Dollar General products was purely factual and advised consumers to read the front and back labels carefully.

Those law suits were filed by private individuals and are based on deceptive marketing practices of obsolete motor oils. The bottles are positioned alongside quality motor oils and the front labels display a racing flag implying high performance, when in fact the oils are not suitable for 99% of the cars on the road. The fine print warning on the back label is not considered a sufficient caveat by the plaintiffs, hence the suit. Most people don't read all the fine print on the products they buy and marketers know that. Warnings do not excuse intentional deception.

Tom NJ

Right?

How hard is it to print that on a label ? We're living in a crooked world with alotta crooked people.

Just an update on the out of specification oil I found at a local convenience store near me Tom. The store pulled all of the API SA rated oil off the shelf. I'm willing to bet I wasn't the only one who noticed this nonsense.
Made me feel good to see that garbage taken off the shelves.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Stick with name brands. These oils are too risky. 99 Cent Only Stores sell the 76 (Phillips) I believe.

Right?

Not according to PQIA.

A poster mentioned that the SMB ATF failed the PQIA tests.

There is some take by PQIA on labels and API service categories. It's interesting that they say that API SM (or SN as a result) shouldn't be used in flat-tappet muscle cars.

In principle you need API SA for antique engines without oil filters (pre-1930), which require nondetergent oil and varnish to protect the wear surfaces from particulates in the oil.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Labels.htm

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Right?

How hard is it to print that on a label ? We're living in a crooked world with alotta crooked people.

Merk, API and ILSAC licensing can be verified online. So, if a product has the markings and one is unsure, one can check.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: meborder

PQIA has never sued anyone and has no involvement in the class actions suits against Dollar General. PQIA simple analyzes motor oils and reports its findings. Its piece on the Dollar General products was purely factual and advised consumers to read the front and back labels carefully.

Those law suits were filed by private individuals and are based on deceptive marketing practices of obsolete motor oils. The bottles are positioned alongside quality motor oils and the front labels display a racing flag implying high performance, when in fact the oils are not suitable for 99% of the cars on the road. The fine print warning on the back label is not considered a sufficient caveat by the plaintiffs, hence the suit. Most people don't read all the fine print on the products they buy and marketers know that. Warnings do not excuse intentional deception.

Tom NJ

I stand corrected.

I'll amend my statement accordingly:

I hope PQIA follows their previous opinion and supports another lawsuit which sews a company for selling properly marked, labeled, and positioned petroleum product to protect those of us who are unable or unwilling to read product labels.

How could one come to another conclusion? If using outdated oil is harmful to modern engines, under filling them by 66% is likely worse. How can you guarantee that one unable to understand that bottles marked "not for use in engines made after 1988" could be harmful is able to understand that 11oz is not a quart?

Looks like they've recently increased the size of these bottles to 16oz. Not too bad at $2 per quart.

I just bought a bunch for $1 in 16oz. I like the bottle size I have quite a few garbage picked pieces of equipment I am willing to try it on.

I rather use Walmarts Super Tech Conventoinal oil at less hen $2.50 a quart simply because i know who blends it.
Runner up would be Havoline at around the same price.
Bottom line as said, an SN oil is an SN oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back