KIA tops the latest JD Power initial quality rank

Status
Not open for further replies.
KIA / Hyundai has come a long way. Some people may not believe in these lists but no matter how you slice it, it shows trends. I do prefer CR long term reliability results over JD's initial quality though.

Holy cow Smart!!!

I don't know if the list is useful or not but Smart!!!

I am GM guy always have been, this list sure tells a different story then what you here on this site...;)

This list actually is similar to my experience with my GM stuff over the years.

Hyundai/Kia has been making decent vehicles for a while now. No surprise.

Also interesting is the long term durability survey that they do.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Hyundai/Kia has been making decent vehicles for a while now. No surprise.

Also interesting is the long term durability survey that they do.

One of my friends has been a tech at a Honda dealership and now at a KIA one. He says the KIA's are pretty much the same as Honda in quality. Some models have their weak points in both brands, but that happens with any brand.

90 day quality doesn't mean too much to me. 250k miles quality means a lot more. Honda really took a beating in this survey, with mostly 2 out of 5 on the quality ratings, even of the Accord. The Fit and Civic have had a lot of problems since the redesign and the CRV has had sme, but I thought the Accord was still doing pretty well.

oh Volvo, when will you learn?
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: dlayman
90 day quality doesn't mean too much to me. 250k miles quality means a lot more.

Well, yes, two different things obviously. You are talking about long term reliability, and there are dedicated studies for that, too. This particular one focuses on initial quality. I too would agree that long term reliability is more important, but this is just another data point.

I never owned a modern Mazda and really never looked at them much.
But I go by a Transmission shop and it always has more Mazda's in the service bay than any other model. And they are mixed- not just one model.....Gives me pause!

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I cant figure out why GMC is lower but on the lists for SUVs they have many of the highest rated. Odd..

Brand quality is a useless metric for a buyer anyways, good for advertising only. Since you only buy 1 or 2 models, you really only care how they rate, as the brands average rating doesn't mean anything to your model...

90 day quality doesn't mean too much to me. 250k miles quality means a lot more. Honda really took a beating in this survey, with mostly 2 out of 5 on the quality ratings, even of the Accord. The Fit and Civic have had a lot of problems since the redesign and the CRV has had sme, but I thought the Accord was still doing pretty well.

Good observation.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
BMW is looking good too.....

BMW has rolled out the BMW Encore program where customers are invited back to the dealer @1 month after delivery to make sure customers don't have any questions or complaints that can be addressed. The IQS picks up issues that aren't limited to actual defects; for example, if the navigation controls/interface are hard to decipher the manufacturer can get dinged on it. I suspect that is at least part of the reason why Cadillac(CUE) and Ford(SYNC) are farther down the list.

Quality is also based on folks perception. The bar is so low for Kia that the decent cars they offer now taint folks to rate them wonderfully. Also what do their buyers done from. 5+ years ago Kia's were really a few grades below all.

The hard part is if you are a auro car brand(some Japanese and luxury makes) buyers have a perception that vehicle is better then reality. Any issue of their "halo" gets nicked very hard.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Mazda, Nissan, Subaru and Korean junk very low on resale value.

Subaru has some of the best resale values in the industry.

We ALL know how much you love your Toyota. You're 100% incorrect however.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Good observation.

If you have issues inside 90 days, how much confidence do you have in a problem free 250K miles. That's how most consumers think IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back