Ford GT oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCD

I've been watching a few videos from this years races of the new GT and i was wondering what viscosity they run, they seem to have Castrol Edge logos but i doubt they use the same oil that is on the shelves.

Really? i thought that oil sheared terribly, even down to a 30 grade in some cases apparently, i don't think Castrol mind that much, Castrol and Ford have been long time "friends" since the 70s

Castrol makes a 5w50. I think Doug Hillary was at a Le Mans 24 hour a few years back and mentioned observing (being advised?) that most the teams used 0w40 or 10w60. IIRC.

There must be about a dozen different types of Edge made by Castrol. One of them will have a specific approval or the dreaded "Recommended for", with the actual engine type.
Castrol Edge is a bit upmarket from Motorcraft, but a long way behind Liqui Moly (Owned by Fuchs refiners) Synthoil (Shell Ultra is nearly as good).

PS: It's 6 types in the UK, but that excludes the 0w20's as we like it thick here!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Really? i thought that oil sheared terribly, even down to a 30 grade...

That's why they spec 50 and 20 wt in same engines
wink.gif

The WEC/ALMS/IMSA/ETC. RACE Ford GT's V-6 Ecotec is definitely based on the street GT's engine, but it is not exactly the same, nor is it run under the same conditions, so I would think that they use a different oil than the street car specced stuff.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
The WEC/ALMS/IMSA/ETC. RACE Ford GT's V-6 Ecotec is definitely based on the street GT's engine,

Generally, this means that the as-cast block and heads are from the street engine, x-rayed prior to machining, but all machining is done with respect to racing use. Good chance of using pressed in steel cylinder liners possibly with nikasil coatings, dry sump oil system, forged pistons, racing ring set, hand ported heads, cc'd chambers, exotic valve seats,...

Forged 4140 crank machined from billet, titanium valves, custom camshafts, custom headers and exhaust, exotic (Motec M8000) ECU, full data collection and telemetry,...

Other than that, its basically stock.

Doug Yates was on SiriusXM NASCAR today and said the Ford GT race engine is about 70% OEM. Roush-Yates builds all of the Ford NASCAR, ARCA, and endurance engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back