Changing oil every 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many miles do you run that 10w30 out may I ask?
Isn't the sump like 60-70 quarts?
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Yeah, I have taken a couple of semi truck engines to well beyond 1 million on conventional oil. Even the current ones are factory filled with 10w30 conventional. I currently use a 10w30 syn blend from Schaeffer. Mobil Delvac Elite 10w30 is a outstanding oil also. 557,000 miles on the current motor and runs like a champ! Only repair has been for broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Now to be fair, gasser turbos do endure some higher EGT's than their diesel cousins. I would be incline to go with a full syn for turbo gasser. But still, a 30w should be quite sufficient for all situations.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You find me a 5w40 conventional oil, then we'll talk.

GrIII is conventional to me....

Me too
laugh.gif
Syn in my world needs to be an ester ...

You know better than this.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Does synthetic really offer and practical or logical advantages in my case?

How much did you spend on the last oil change you performed on your car?
How much will the new engine oil you want to buy cost?
Which one of those two choices is less expensive?
Are there other comparable oils, synthetic or conventional, that would cost less than those two?

I would pick the oil that costs less for a 2.0 Dodge Dart.
Your engine isn't going to torture the oil as much as other engines do.

Honestly, with Mobil 1 0W40 available all day long for under $25, why are you even asking this question? Why do you ask a variant of this question every couple of months?

BC.

Yeah, I have taken a couple of semi truck engines to well beyond 1 million on conventional oil. Even the current ones are factory filled with 10w30 conventional. I currently use a 10w30 syn blend from Schaeffer. Mobil Delvac Elite 10w30 is a outstanding oil also. 557,000 miles on the current motor and runs like a champ! Only repair has been for broken exhaust manifold bolts.

Now to be fair, gasser turbos do endure some higher EGT's than their diesel cousins. I would be incline to go with a full syn for turbo gasser. But still, a 30w should be quite sufficient for all situations.
Any BITOG reader knows unless you run syn oil and change it every 5,000 miles an engine will never last past the warranty period. todays conventional oils aren't like the late 1960s oils the syn oil sellers market it to be.

I have settled on around 22,500 mile / 450 hrs on my Detroit. OEM recommendation is 15,000 mile / 300 hrs for the pre-egr Series 60 that I have in a 2013 Freightliner now. I get nice tracking samples till around the interval I am doing now. If I go longer, while the oil is still technically good, I start getting UOA results that are deviating from the trend more than I care for. So my comfort zone is what it is. Not bad, as that is 50% longer than the OEM recommendation. Sump and filters take 40 qts.

To add to that, I run turbo blankets on all my turbos and my turbos are not water cooled like many of the newer motor designs. Haven't lost a turbo in over 20 years. And one of the motors I took to 1.4 million miles and sold it and it went right to work for the next owner. Same original turbo. And all on a conventional Kendall oil for that one and it got 30,000 mile oil changes.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
How many miles do you run that 10w30 out may I ask?
Isn't the sump like 60-70 quarts?
Thanks!

When I agreed that Gr III is conventional, I mean it's refined dino. Highly refined, sure, but still dino. It's not GTL or ester.

But saying that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with high quality conventional (dino) oil, no matter what OU says. As TiredTrucker says, there are millions of motors that run just fine for way past the warranty period on good conventional oil, sometimes WAY past
laugh.gif

Would you guys feel ok going 7500 on regular Dino?

For your car sure. Not in a million years for my car.

If it were under 'easy' conditions such as mostly all highway, no short trips and no DI/Turbo.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

For your car sure. Not in a million years for my car.

How many OCIs would you do over the course of a million years, Merk?

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
How many OCIs would you do over the course of a million years, Merk?

LOL!
lol.gif
At my current rate, that would be 2 million OCIs.
grin2.gif

I used dino 5W30 in my previous LS400 with 6-7k OCI the first few years when I bought it new in 1993.

At around 1998-1999 and after I changed oil based on time more than mileage, my OCI was 7-10k/6mo with dino and 15-20k/12mo with synthetic.

The engine was running very good until when I sold it after 22 years and 380k miles few months ago. No work ever done under the valve cover, the original valve cover gaskets are on the engine when I sold it, the oil consumption was constant at around 1/2 quart every 3-4k miles since new. I topped off 1/2 quart dino then change oil at 6 month, for synthetic I topped off 2-3 times with 1/2 quart each time.

The oil filters were mostly low end o mid price and changed once a year, up to 20k miles.

The Lexus LS400 engine of the 90's was un-destructible.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
When I agreed that Gr III is conventional, I mean it's refined dino. Highly refined, sure, but still dino. It's not GTL or ester.

But saying that, there is absolutely nothing wrong with high quality conventional (dino) oil, no matter what OU says. As TiredTrucker says, there are millions of motors that run just fine for way past the warranty period on good conventional oil, sometimes WAY past
laugh.gif

That was my point aswell, though I'd add PAO in that first sentence.

Originally Posted By: chrisri

You know better than this.

Yes. PAO is synthetic, and some of grV is synthetic, but grIII is highly refined conventional oil. I do believe GTL might be in the wrong group....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back