Need some input...VW 1.8TSI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is in my signature. I've got M1 0w40 in it now, but from some light reading, it looks like MAYBE the new formula is not as "strong" as it once was. So, I am considering some other possible options:

-Castrol 0w40 - Seems like it is well regarded here, but has higher SAPS like M1, which I would like to get away from
-Valvoline 5w40 MST - Like the lower SAPS, and should be fine, as I am running a 5k interval
-Kendall Euro 5w40 - Again, lower SAPS, good price

I'm also open to suggestions. Want to run an approved oil for the time being (warr), but perhaps I'll reconsider down the road.

Thanks for the input.

The new M1 0w40 still meets VW 502.00 and MB 229.5.

I've been using Synpower MST 5w40 for 5K miles intervals. Next oil will be Pentosin 5w40.

Castrol 0W40 hands down.
Lower SAPS then M1, very stable, better HTHS.
Pentosin, tried once in my VW CC and you can definitely feel that turbo needs bit more time to spool. I think it is good oil, I was thinking to run it in BMW since it meets LL-04, but I actually got several weeks ago Valvoline 5W40 MST.
Valvoline 5W40 MST has same HTHS as Castrol 0W40, it is Mid-SAPS, good NOACK of 10%, not overly heavy, actually it is thinner on operating temperature then Castrol 0W40.
However, considering sulfur in gas, I would just get Castrol 0W40, at least until 01/01/2017 when EPA will mandate 10ppm of sulfur in gas.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Bob, which pentosin will you be using

Pento High Performance II 5W-40

I'm partial to Synpower 5w-40 MST. Reason is I just pulled my cam follower on my 2.0T FSI engine and the cam follower looked really good at 45000. A little bit of the black coating was worn off but it looked great compared to most cam followers I've seen on this engine at that mileage. In case you didn't know, these FSI engines are brutal on cam followers. I did 3-5K drains since the car was new. Used no other oil.

Also, this engine was one of VWs first direct injection engines and has a known carbon deposit problem. While I haven't had mine inspected yet for carbon build-up, I can tell you my engine idles smoothly when cold and gas mileage is pretty close to what it was when it was new. So if there is carbon build-up, there are no symptoms yet.

EDIT: btw, how do you like your new Passat?

Last edited:
I really like it for the most part. The auto trans has some wonky programming, but it seems like it comes and goes. I really like the 1.8. Plenty of power in day to day, and you can milk some more out of it with even the 87 oct. tune from APR or the Neuspeed Module. It gets good MPG as well. Very quiet cruiser.

Thanks for the info. MST is looking attractive.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
I'm partial to Synpower 5w-40 MST. Reason is I just pulled my cam follower on my 2.0T FSI engine and the cam follower looked really good at 45000. A little bit of the black coating was worn off but it looked great compared to most cam followers I've seen on this engine at that mileage. In case you didn't know, these FSI engines are brutal on cam followers. I did 3-5K drains since the car was new. Used no other oil.

Also, this engine was one of VWs first direct injection engines and has a known carbon deposit problem. While I haven't had mine inspected yet for carbon build-up, I can tell you my engine idles smoothly when cold and gas mileage is pretty close to what it was when it was new. So if there is carbon build-up, there are no symptoms yet.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the old 1.8T? Direct injection has been out for a while in VW's.

Hmm, I always thought the 2.0T FSI was one of VWs earlier direct injection engines. But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I really like it for the most part. The auto trans has some wonky programming, but it seems like it comes and goes. I really like the 1.8. Plenty of power in day to day, and you can milk some more out of it with even the 87 oct. tune from APR or the Neuspeed Module. It gets good MPG as well. Very quiet cruiser.

Thanks for the info. MST is looking attractive.

Nice. It just won the cars.com midsize sedan shootout.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
FWIW BTLew81, once my GTI is out of warranty, it's going to be Redline oil all the way.

Will it be the 5W30?

Hmm, I always thought the 2.0T FSI was one of VWs earlier direct injection engines. But I could be wrong.

The first DI VW engine was the 2.0FSI.

The new 1.8T is an EA888 1.8t Gen3.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the old 1.8T? Direct injection has been out for a while in VW's.

Old 1.8T did not have cam follower. Cam follower was a problem on first 2.oTFSI engine. 2.0TSI had better record, and now 1.8TSI and this newer 2.0TSI should be even better.
I had 2.0TSI in CC, traded for X5 with 96K. It was in great condition. Never had an issue. Used always Castrol 0W30, then moved to 0W40, tried now and then M1 0W40, once Pentosin.
My choice would be Castrol 0W40 hands down.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The first DI VW engine was the 2.0FSI.

The new 1.8T is an EA888 1.8t Gen3.

The first DI VW engine was a Lupo 1.4L motor, introduced in 2000. This was also when the "S" actually stood for stratified (the ultra lean burn mode).

forced induction FSI/TSI/TFSI motors don't have the ultra lean burn mode.

edyvw,

Originally Posted By: edyvw
at least until 01/01/2017 when EPA will mandate 10ppm of sulfur in gas.

It is great to hear that you are finally catching up on the quality of fuel with Europe. Does it mean that Full SAPS oils will become a thing in the past in the US over a couple of years?

I assume that oil manufacturers will start pushing Mid-SAPs oils in the US: it is good for cats and as long as fuel quality is good it will do a good job on engine wear protection.

The Full-SAPs will become a niche product: for luxury high performance or old cars with cam lobes pushing on valve followers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back