The Effect of Low Viscosity Oil on the Wear, Frict

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Effect of Low Viscosity Oil on the Wear, Friction and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy Duty Truck Engine

http://papers.sae.org/2013-01-0331/ click the preview button

Engines seem to need a run-in period again every time a lower viscosiy oil is used.

Seems to support the idea to pick one oil and stick with it if you want consistent UOA.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
The Effect of Low Viscosity Oil on the Wear, Friction and Fuel Consumption of a Heavy Duty Truck Engine

http://papers.sae.org/2013-01-0331/ click the preview button

Engines seem to need a run-in period again every time a lower viscosiy oil is used.

Seems to support the idea to pick one oil and stick with it if you want consistent UOA.

The thick oil fans like myself will love that study, as it does show that thin oils cause extra wear. The bad news was the study did not use a full synthetic as many oily types like.

I would like to see a forum member try comparing a conventional base oil like GTX 15w40 with a thin full synthetic like Edge 0w20 (Or the Mobil equivalents).

How about this in engines that has some crud in it?

Thin oil won't cushion but have more solubility for crud,vide lenkite baby oil.

I too am a fan of higher viscosity oils. I still wonder if the OEMs are practicing planned obsolescence Seems like with their longer oil drains and lighter oils cars will have a shorter turnaround time.

A quirk with the Mazda 2.3 DISI engine relieved me of any preference I may have had for thinner oil. Earlier engines had turbo seal issues, allowing oil into the compressor, where it was then fed into the engine and produced heavy smoke out the tailpipe when left idling for more than a few minutes. During normal driving, the 'weep' seemed to stop and the smoke disappeared.

Mazda prescribed an increase in oil viscosity from 5W-30 to 5W-40 for this engine to solve the issue, and this worked for a majority of folks on the Mazda / Mazdaspeed forums.

There must be a reason Mazda and Ford both require 5W-30 for their turbocharged engines, when everything else gets 5W-20. Turbocharger heat thins the oil too much? Seal clearance is too big for thin oil?

Knowing this, what would be my motivation to run 5W-20 in anything I own? A .02 mpg gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back