Oil for 6.0L Powerstroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FireMarshalRob obviously had his share of issues. I believe it starts with Ford's poor choice in coolant, and is compounded by Ford's later FICM flashes, and folks that drive the truck to haul groceries instead of hauling booty.
I'm on the opposite side of the fence. Zero issues in my 03 until late last year at 115k, when I noticed that the oil temp was creeping up. You have to have a monitor in a 6.0, the gauges in all Fords are little more than indicators that voltage is applied to them.
Mine has had religious maintenance, and I was running an ELC coolant, and 10w30. 13 years, and no one had cracked the engine open. I weighed the options... an emissions laden, DEF sucking 75,000 dollar new Powerstroke, or 5 grand in my old gal. the choice was easy. A new Bulletproof Diesel EGR cooler, factory oil cooler, ARP studs, FelPro gaskets ( this is the fix for the 6.0...FelPro has an improved MLS gasket that beats Ford's), water pump with metal impeller, and a little FICM work.
I speculate that if Rob had been switched to a silicate free coolant early on, and if Ford would have left his FICM alone (every later flash in the 6.0 sucked power out, and Ford just compounded the problem with the latest strategy), he might have been happier. Maybe not... I like stories like Rob's. It's keeping the 6.0 market low with horror stories.
And it depends upon what his tech did when it all went to heck. If he had gaskets done at a Ford dealer, they will not machine the heads... it's against what Ford says is acceptable. They have to be flat, and when you machine a couple thousands off, you have to run shorter pushrods... the 6.4 rods are perfect here. Ford does not have a good repair procedure for problem engines at all.
My 6.0 currently has delta's around 8 degrees, it starts and runs like a gas engine with the FICM mods and Atlas tune, except it doesn't run out of steam, and just keeps pulling. And I just knocked out 13.2 MPG towing 10k over Memorial Day week. Sorry for your troubles Rob, but the majority of them were caused by the guys doing your service either not knowing, not caring, or tied up by being forced to use factory Ford parts and service procedures, when the aftermarket has every fix available. Shoot even factory stock will last a long time with a coolant swap, and mild FICM work to address cold start and drivability.

Last edited:
I work at John Deere and there is a 0-40 full syn that we use in skid steers with cold start issues. We also have 6.0 service truck with cold start issues. Do you think is oil could handle the work load in a 6.0 and have it start cold better

API ratings (diesel): CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
API ratings (gasoline): SL, SJ
John Deere: JDQ 78A
Mack: EO-M Plus
Cummins: CES20076, 72, 71
Allison: C-4
Caterpillar: TO-2
Military: CIDA-A-52306, MIL-L-2104F

Test Analysis 0W-40

Viscosity @ 40°C...... 85.74 cSt
Viscosity @ 100°C...... 15.17 cSt
Viscosity index...... 187
HTHS @ 150°C...... 3.97 cP
Pour point...... -51°C
Flash point...... 230°C
Total base number (TBN)....12.8 mg KOH/g
Sulfated ash level...... 1.57 wt. %

I wish I could find this oil here. Will definitely run it.

Edit: not sure how much it would help regarding cold start though.

Last edited:
Just as a complete attempt to help cold starts....cover all bases before replacing all injectors

That 6.0 slow Jacks up oil. Delete the EGR Asap! You can use any diesel oil, delo, rotella etc. I have some buddies with 700 horsepower 6.0 liters and they all run whatever diesel oil is on sale

BTW I'd sale that truck...to many problems. I've got 151,000 on my dodge, and it's been running twins from about 20,000. I tow 15,000 once a week, with a 500 hp 1000ftlbs tune, and don't have the issues the 6.0 guys do

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FranklinJL
That 6.0 slow Jacks up oil. Delete the EGR Asap! You can use any diesel oil, delo, rotella etc. I have some buddies with 700 horsepower 6.0 liters and they all run whatever diesel oil is on sale

BTW I'd sale that truck...to many problems. I've got 151,000 on my dodge, and it's been running twins from about 20,000. I tow 15,000 once a week, with a 500 hp 1000ftlbs tune, and don't have the issues the 6.0 guys do

No doubt the cummins was a great motor, but Dodge failed miserably with the transmissions, drive train and electrical parts on those trucks. How many trannys have you put in it making that kinda power, be honest!

I replaced the Trannys at 20,000 pre-emptive
I've got 131,000 on this tranny. Billet TC, Billet input, rebuilt vavle-body, all sorts of stuff at the cost of 6k....

I change the oil 20qts every 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back