Ok to use 5w-20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys my 13 civic has seen nothing but the manual stated 0w-20 since factory fill. I was wondering if a 5w-20 would be OK to use since the temps here are starting to regularly see 90+ degrees almost seven days a week.

And it will only get hotter for the next couple months

Last edited:
About 40 miles round trip driving daily in stop and go traffic between work and school

Check the Mobil 1 web site. It will give you information on optional viscosities for your Civic.

0W-20 and 5W-20 must meet the same viscosity at room temperature (which is basically the same as the outdoor highs you cite) and at the elevated temperatures the oil actually will reach in the engine.

OW, 5W, Ten Thousand-W (if it existed) all only refer to cold temperature, basically below 0F, performance only. Using the Winter viscosity rating (xxW-20) tells you nothing about the room and elevated temperature viscosity.

The 0W-20 could easily have a higher viscosity than the 5W-20 at engine temperatures, since the SAE 20 spec is a range, not a fixed value.

However it's a narrow range, and both oils clearly meet SAE 20 since the rating is not optional ... you can't call an oil SAE 20 if it tests out at SAE 30. So they both will be similar viscosity. The only significant difference will probably be price.

Still under powertrain warranty? Why run anything other than 0W20 if you are? Otherwise, knock yourself out. The R18 doesn't need a thick oil at all 0W/5W-20 will be fine regardless of your temps.

Go to PQIA and look for the highest viscosity at 100*C. The range is 6.9 to 9.3.

Valvoline synthetic 0W-20 is 8.57, so it's in the higher end of the range, and that's what you want. That's your best high temp protection. Highest high temp viscosity
smile.gif

Mobil1 AFE 0W-20 is 8.63 so a bit higher viscosity. It'll take some homework, but you'll find the best solution.

The xW rating is meaningless in your environment...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Ok guys my 13 civic has seen nothing but the manual stated 0w-20 since factory fill. I was wondering if a 5w-20 would be OK to use since the temps here are starting to regularly see 90+ degrees almost seven days a week.

Yes it is ok. Probably ok year round in Alabama.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
Still under powertrain warranty? Why run anything other than 0W20 if you are? Otherwise, knock yourself out. The R18 doesn't need a thick oil at all 0W/5W-20 will be fine regardless of your temps.

That's a negative. My warranty ran out a little over 40k miles ago. My train of thought is that a slightly higher weight oil will protect the engine a little better in the temps I'm in and the stop and go traffic I'm in daily. I've had absolutely no trouble what so ever with the 0w-20, I'm just thinking proactively(or trying to) and considering running a high mileage oil and/or thicker oil. I have no leaks, but I do think running a HM oil such as valvoline will benefit the 100+k mileage I have and hopefully stop a leak before one starts so to speak.

With the warranty expired and since you don't want to keep using 0w-20 in your temperate climate, I'd go with a 5w-20 or even 5w-30. I'd be surprised if the 2013 Civic specs full synthetic. Why not save a few bucks, buy a blend and go by your OLM?

It certainly would be fine. However, you have to be cognizant of any warranty requirements. Further, if the OLM is calibrated based upon you using a synthetic, so I would be cautious against going 5w-20 just to save money (i.e. switching from your Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 to go to SuperTech conventional 5w-20 and going 15,000 mile OCIs might not be a good idea without UOAs).

That's a negative. My warranty ran out a little over 40k miles ago. My train of thought is that a slightly higher weight oil will protect the engine a little better in the temps I'm in and the stop and go traffic I'm in daily. I've had absolutely no trouble what so ever with the 0w-20, I'm just thinking proactively(or trying to) and considering running a high mileage oil and/or thicker oil. I have no leaks, but I do think running a HM oil such as valvoline will benefit the 100+k mileage I have and hopefully stop a leak before one starts so to speak.

I have a feeling an xW-30 would be just fine. Probably an xW-40 would be fine, too. Going over that I'd be a little concerned but in a pinch even an xW-60 would probably be fine...

Is your Civic air or liquid cooled?

0W20 is either full-syn or semi-syn and OLM is calibrated with this format. If you want to use 5W20 then you should use either full-syn or semi-syn and keep OCI as normal, if you use conventional 5W20 then you should reduce OCI somewhat, may be 20-30% ?

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You could run 10w30.

I agree.

Me three.

+1.....Either oil will be OK in summer and winter temps in Alabama. I personally would continue to use 0w20.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
0W20 is either full-syn or semi-syn and OLM is calibrated with this format. If you want to use 5W20 then you should use either full-syn or semi-syn and keep OCI as normal, if you use conventional 5W20 then you should reduce OCI somewhat, may be 20-30% ?

Good point, best to use 5w20 synthetic...

Sorry for the late reply guys been visiting family a few counties away. I am thinking heavily on a 5w-20 albeit it's only fractionally a bit thicker but I do think it would help me feel better. I'm gonna go PP and a wix xp.

Also thanks for your answers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back