MIL-H-5606 hydraulic fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Napa 85-101 (32) hydraulic fluid suitable for use in areas with a required MIL-H-5606 fluid?

The application is a Hynautic hydraulic steering on a sailboat; I had to rebuild the autopilot pump while in the Bahamas, and the above was the closest I could guess at; I've not opened the gallon, as I had JUST enough in spare supply to refill the tank.

I know that this is probably an expired designation - maybe the H moved around? The manual states mineral oil based compatible with nitrile seals; beyond that I don't know how to compare, and I can't get enough from the Napa MSDS to feel comfortable. The gallon shows a forklift...

L8R

Skip

If Mil-5606 isn't printed on the bottle, don't use it. Royco 756 or Aeroshell Fluid 41 should be only $10ish a quart at an aviation supply store.

I use Skygeek.com.

I'd make a trip over to the local GA airport and see if a fixed-base operator or the on-site fueling depot sells MIL-5606 fluid.

I bought some online from Skygeek, I have hydraulic bike brakes that take special Shimano fluid which is rebottled Shell Tellus 22, while the MIL-spec fluid is around an ISO15-18 fluid. A local mountain bike nerd says Pentosin CHF 7.1(NLA) will work, but I wanted something close to OEM-spec chemically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back