Best SAE40 Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My go-to mono-grade SAE40 for years has been Duron40. Because of it's high VI, I trust it down to -5C/20F.
I also use it to give 10W30 a HTHS boost, and as a top up oil.
Synthetic 10W40 and 15W40 synthetic blends, from the KV100C to published HTHS trajectory, suggests that they are VII free.
HDEO SAE40 is available in "full saps" examples: Mobil 1640 and Delo 400, medium saps examples: Shell T-1, Mobil 1340, Duron SAE40,
and low saps: Mobil 1240 and Delo 100.
AS per SAE rules, VII free 10w40 and 15W40 engine oils could be labeled as SAE40, and therefor, are mono-grades in disguise.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
La Fin Du Monde? QC? I'm drinking that beer right now. Go HABS Go.

That's my favorite beer right now.

The thin oil guys are gonna faint when they see this thread. Somebody better go check on tig.
grin2.gif

Yeah w/o Price #31 its a hard sell to win Coupe Stanley. I still have faith in the Montreal Canadiens. Wish The Rocket and Guy LaFleur were here to help.

BrocLuno;
What brought dis on?
Well da thin oil crowd started hundred of topic thread, like: da best 5w20, 0w20 vs 5w20, 20 dis and 0w30 dat.
I thought bout time we talk bout SAE40 dis, and SAE40 dat.
Look the crowd response, guy dat know good racing beer & 'ockey team, know dere SAE40 too.
Beside, you were looking for holy grail of SAE 30 mono-grade, ended up a 15W30.
Is dere SAE40 equivalent?

Last edited:
I've posted this on the other thread, and I probably got it from you guys to begin with, but of the Delo 400 monogrades, the SAE 30 and SAE 40 are the pick in terms of TBN (10.1) and Zinc ( 1220 ppm). Everything else is much lower.

They are also the only two that are rated API SJ for petrol engines.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=77118&docFormat=PDF

Delo SAE 40
KV 40 = 136
KV 100 = 14.7

OK, I'm getting interested now. Trying to find something for my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160, the owners manual says 20/30, I've found earlier models recommend SAE40, so instead of multi grades, I'm thinking a 30 or 40 would be a better fit. It has a very wide 3 gear helical primary, a shear factory I think.

Is Moto Guzzi a dry clutch set up, or is that older BMWs?
Nevertheless, I feel sorry for what you guys in the Southern hemisphere pay for engine oil and lubricants.
The last thing you need, is to pay extra for advertising fluff. (!)
I'm always searching for industrial products that fit another application.
For example, an engine oil/transmission fluid that will last 500 hours in a Caterpillar,
should be able to handle 100 hours in a motorcycle.
AND, at 1/3 the cost of a one liter bottle with a picture of a motorcycle on it.
Products that carry a military spec. go a long way in the confidence of a product.
If your life depended on your choice of an engine oil, would it change your mind?

The Stornello is a wet clutch and hasn't got enough power to slip it...or like the primary is over specced for the use...also holds too much oil so oil temps are low. Oils in New Zealand are probably the most expensive in the world, I wish I could get oil at the Aussie price. I don't use motorcycle anything....currently using ISO32 and 46 for fork oil.

I usually drink free beer (Corona tonight) but if I pay for it I am on the dark side.

Ever seen EU pricing?
Now that's outrageous!
Anyway, agree with the idea of finding a commercial solution.
Anyone ever tried the Eni i-Sigma Monograde products?

Originally Posted By: Silk

I usually drink free beer (Corona tonight) but if I pay for it I am on the dark side.

My father was a Lion Red drinker, I like Tui myself.

A double thread! When I was a lad there were only 2 beers in NZ, one was Lion Red, and I hate it ! Back then it really tasted like tom cat P to me. I can drink it now, but only if I start on it, if I try another beer, I just can't get another Lion Red past my lips. Love there being so many beers on the shelf these days, it's more interesting to me than wine. Oil is interesting, but we can't talk to our engines, and have to catch their liquid waste products in a container and look at it very closely...it's a little distrurbing and I don't tell anyone about my obsession.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
Ever seen EU pricing?
Now that's outrageous!
Anyway, agree with the idea of finding a commercial solution.
Anyone ever tried the Eni i-Sigma Monograde products?

The only cheap mono grades (Mostly SAE 30 or 40) in the EU are marine oils designed for onboard diesel engines that don't get too cold. The rest seem to be in the classic car sections and rather pricey, although every country seems to have a fairly good commercial vehicle only supplier, but even they don't stock too many mono grades.
15w40 is about the best answer you will get for a monograde! Just tape over the 15w part and be happy.

Originally Posted By: Silk
OK, I'm getting interested now. Trying to find something for my 1974 Moto Guzzi Stornello 160, the owners manual says 20/30, I've found earlier models recommend SAE40, so instead of multi grades, I'm thinking a 30 or 40 would be a better fit. It has a very wide 3 gear helical primary, a shear factory I think.

Castrol make a RX Mono 30 and Mono 40 (API CF / SG)

Penrite make a Mono Truck SAE 30 and SAE 40 ( API CF / SF)

You should be able to get both of those in NZ

M1 V-Twin is essentially a monograde
As is Edge 25W50.

But they are 50s, and have HTHS in the 6 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back