Hyundai Genesis - Long Term Reliability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My aunt is trying to get out of VW ownership, she's just sick of it (except air-cooled VWs). June 21st VW is announcing their plans with fixing the TDIs and offering to buy them back, possibly offering cash as well. So in a few weeks we'll be hitting the car lots and looking at several different cars. She'll then decide if she wants another car or if she might want an SUV type vehicle. (Hyundai Tucson is one we'll look at.)

So anybody know how the Hyundai Genesis Coupes are? Do they seem like they'd be fine as far as long-term reliability? Glad it's got a timing chain. I'll also be posting in Hyundai/Genesis forums.

I talked with FutureDoc and he suggests the base 3.8L model, not the R-spec or Ultimate, since the ride quality is pretty firm on them. Automatic transmission is a must, she'd like a manual transmission but with a bad back, bad knees, and quite a bit of traffic during her daily commute, it's a no-go.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
With those medical conditions wouldn't a higher car be advised?
They don't make it harder for her to get into lower cars, but constantly having both feet out in front of her clutch and shifting constantly in traffic isn't comfortable. She'll also likely have knee surgery in the next year or so, already had the right one done years back. That would make it impossible to drive a manual.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about a mustang or camaro?
She might try a Mustang, but no on the Camaro. Cheapest V8 is $37k.

The last thing I'd want in Phx traffic is a car that you're looking up at the undercarriage of all the lifted trucks and SUVs, 18ers, delivery trucks etc.

Hard to imagine bad back and knees don't make it more difficult to drop into and crawl out of an [censored] dragger coupe. Good backpedal there Nick.
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The last thing I'd want in Phx traffic is a car that you're looking up at the undercarriage of all the lifted trucks and SUVs, 18ers, delivery trucks etc.

Hard to imagine bad back and knees don't make it more difficult to drop into and crawl out of an [censored] dragger coupe. Good backpedal there Nick.
wink.gif

Good backpedal?

He said reliable...

hitting the bottle a bit too hard tonight?

If she wants a "sporty" car get a WRX with the CVT. Subaru CVTs do not die except for the practically unheard of manufacturing defect (CVT explodes within 30,000 miles, warrantied, fine for another 200k, happened once or twice that I've ever heard of)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123

He said reliable...

hitting the bottle a bit too hard tonight?

If she wants a "sporty" car get a WRX with the CVT. Subaru CVTs do not die except for the practically unheard of manufacturing defect (CVT explodes within 30,000 miles, warrantied, fine for another 200k, happened once or twice that I've ever heard of)

LOL! Needed a good laugh tonight.

As per 901Memphis, the Mustang or Camaro would be a good choice if she likes a larger 2-door and are quite reliable. I find the Camaro less than visually appealing but mechanically they are excellent cars.

BTW, the WRX and Mustang show nary identical reliability as per TrueDelta. The Camaro scores better than both of them.

Does she really want a sporty car? I also question the thought of someone with movement issues getting in/out of a low-slung sports car.

How about the Genesis sedan? Has she looked at those?

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Does she really want a sporty car? I also question the thought of someone with movement issues getting in/out of a low-slung sports car.

So you're saying there's a height difference between a 2 & 4 door version of the same car? Also a $12k difference for some reason.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

So you're saying there's a height difference between a 2 & 4 door version of the same car?

I was looking at the specs of 2015 model year. The coupe is about 3.5 inches shorter in height, but I don't know how that translates to differences in seating position. The sedan does have a bit more headroom though, which means you could probably adjust the seat up more before hitting the headliner with your head.

Getting in and out of cars isn't a problem. Pushing a clutch pedal 20,000 miles a year is.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So you're saying there's a height difference between a 2 & 4 door version of the same car?

Compare them side-by-side. There are a lot more differences than a simple set of extra doors added.

The sedan is about 4 inches taller. Although, as noted, I don't know the exact seat height differences, that's why I suggested you check them out. If it's out of the budget, that's fine, then don't consider it.

They're very different vehicles in different classes. The Genesis Coupe is a low-slung sporty car, while the sedan is a larger four-door luxury car. But, the Genesis sedan is also RWD. If she likes that aspect of the coupe, maybe she'd like the sedan.

lead2-2011-hyundai-genesis-sedan.jpg

38582860001_original.jpg

They're very different vehicles in different classes. The Genesis Coupe is a low-slung sporty car, while the sedan is a larger four-door luxury car. But, the Genesis sedan is also RWD. If she likes that aspect of the coupe, maybe she'd like the sedan.

Just looked at some new Genesis sedans last weekend. All of them were all wheel drive with the 3.8 engine. The least expensive one was $54k. The dash seemed like it had real wood on it. Similar in size is the Kia Cadenza but with front wheel drive and the 3.3 liter engine. Sticker on the Kia was 39k but was a leftover 2015 model. On Autotrader I've seen some new 2015 Cadenzas priced in low 20's. I didn't see any 2016 models but maybe they were hiding them until the remaining ones sell.

Hyundai is spinning off the Genesis into a luxury brand from last I heard.
I don't believe that included the coupe, just the sedans. Coupe stays Hyundia, not sure if they will rename it as it is a little confusing already.

I did test a Gen.Coupe 3.8L 8 speed, and it was pretty nice. The warranty is great. However, i know its a lower volume car for Hyundai so it may not get the same level of R&D that the Sonata gets. Something like the Sonata also gets a disgusting amount of incentive cash as well.

Modern cars are all mass produced and the parts are bid out to lowest bidders, so i think its hard to guess what they will be like to own and maintain. The supply chain lets down even the best brands like Toyota.

They are nor going to offer the Coupe for 2017. Suppose to take couple years off then a twin turbo V6, possibly the V8 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back