Oil bypass micro-filtration: school me please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a total newbie with this stuff and I've been trying to learn here on BITOG. I've been poking around in the old posts and I saw a post where someone was talking about using the NTZ AL-09 micro-filter on his vehicle (in an oil application). There was a photo of the filter installed and a discussion of the benefits. I've searched but can't find the post again.

I was not familiar with bypass micro filtration. I googled a bit to learn more, but didn't find much beyond the NTZ website, which make some pretty strong claims:

Removes the smallest contamination from fluid (2 micron and smaller)
Cleaner fluid equals less friction, resulting in fuel economy improvement of 3-4% *
Double the life of the transmission and engine
Safely extend oil drain intervals 3-5 times longer, reduce maintenance costs

Can be installed on an engine or transmission. One time purchase – filter can be moved from fleet to fleet
NTZ’s bypass micro filter is installed in addition to the full flow filter and cleans oil to a better than new condition
Environmentally friendly – reduces oil use and disposal costs

(source: http://www.ntzfilter.com/PoliceFleetKit.asp)

So, with all of that said, is anyone using these on their personal vehicles?
What is your take on them?

Pretty much you tap your oil line somewhere that's relatively high pressure, Then you have the oil redirected to the filtering systems that you choose that are extremely fine. Then you have the oil returned to a low pressure area, such as a oil fill on your valve cover.
The overall idea is for your normal oil filter to filter all the oil regularly, and the bypass to filter a relatively small amount of oil at a time. Therefore there is still circulation and heat management through the standard oil pumping process, and additional volume of oil and filtration though the bypass filtration.
You see these are large trucks that go a Million or more miles before rebuilding because they are expensive and take many, many miles before they pay for themselves. In large over the road trucks they cut down on down time necessary to do oil changes. From what I understand those trucks regularly take in excess of 40 quarts of oil, and the multiple oil filters are individually filled so as to prevent oil starvation.

If you drove your car constantly, like 100,000 miles a year, I can see where bypass filtration might pay for itself in further extending your oil change interval (additional filtration and additional volume) by keeping you on the road. But I can't Imagine driving a car a million miles before trading it in.

I looked into doing it to my vehicles years ago. Never could figure out how to make it worth my while.

BTW, you can also do this to a Transmission. That is where it makes the most sense to me in a daily driver.

Some things are done simply because they can be done. I would love to have bypass filtration just for the bragging rights
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Some things are done simply because they can be done.

Given the lack of discussion on this subject, that's kind of what I figured.

By-pass filtration has been around since Noah's Ark. It's a secondary filtration system that slowly but steadily removes almost all particulate matter. It does not change the chemistry, so if you have fuel dilution or something that is depleting TBN, it will not help. But it will keep your oil clean.

1011PHGraphic3.jpg

Baldwin, Amsoil, Frantz - a lot of folks will sell you a by-pass filter and fitment kit. Do your due diligence and shop carefully. Lots of hype about this subject. But they are useful in many applications...

I think BITOG has a whole section on by-pass filters like here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/34/1/Engine_Oil_Bypass_Filters
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
fuel economy improvement of 4%?

doubtful

Lol I'll say. At least microGreen removed that silly claim from their website.

I have an Oilguard EPS10 on my sig echo;

This was installed preBITOG IIRC; knowing what I know now, i wouldn't bother for a DD car; I would perhaps do it if I had a diesel pickup.

I don't think it ever enabled me to extend my OC; I can't say it extended the life of my engine, but it certainly didn't shorten it.

Last edited:
It works well to clean particles from your oil. You have to balance the extra cost (setup, filters) against the benefit. For high mileage vehicles I think there is little or no debate, but for standard 12,000 Mile / 20,000 Km annual vehicles, it's less of a slam dunk.

Bottom line is it definitely does not hurt. It might, or might not, help.

The OEMs are pretty crazy about oil these days, but you might counter that they only want to get past the warranty period without replacing too many engines.

It does beg the question as to why OEMs like Mitsubishi with 10 year 100,00 mile (US) / 160,000 Km (Canada) Powertrain warranties don't install them if there was a benefit that saved them warranty money.

I've seriously considered it many times but have never actually ponied up for a system. It seems to me the ones you can buy as install kits are too expensive for what you get.

Plus the pure cellulose (toilet paper) filters seem the best option while guys like Amsol want to sell you a commercially packaged filter for the ongoing revenue.

Anything that uses a proprietary replaceable element, whether its a Swiffer WetJet or a HP inkjet printer or a Brita water filter or a FoodSaver vacuum sealer, is a license to print money for the manufacturer of the hardware.

Apparently the best cellulose filters are commercial-grade single-ply TP, the kind you don't actually want to find yourself forced to use for the intended purpose, and probably have to order by the case-load (another expense to calculate in) on Amazon or some other commercial bulk-buy source, like a hotel supply vendor.

I run the Frantz bypass filters on my plow trucks. Easy to install and easy to service. I have never had a used oil analysis done but I do know that installing a bypass filter on an engine with long service life oil, after a few days the color of the oil clears up. The way I figure any assistance in filtering lubricating oils the better. I also have external filters installed on my automatic transmissions and power steering units.

ihatetochangeoil, a poster on BITOG, has done extensive research on bypass filtration and uses the NTZ brand of bypass filter your were asking about. Hopefully he will chime in with his observations on the NTZ filter.

There's lots of details on this sight if you search for it. I've installed 2 different bypass units on 2 different trucks and am running a live comparison on both units. One is a Puradyn MTS24 on a 1993 Dodge D250 with the Cummins 5.9. Now has 25000 Kms on the oil and still like new. The other 2009 Ford 6.4 Powerstroke with Amsoil Dual Gard and 15000 Kms on that system and oil like new. I'm now only doing oil analysis once a year with no oil changes yet. If you search this forum there is more than enough info on Bypass filters. All in all I'm very happy with the results from both filter companies. Only time will tell which is the better of the two.

PuraDyn MTS-24:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3985514/Puradyn_MTS-24_Bypass_Filter_(#Post3985514

Amsoil Dual Gard:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rs_#Post4010618

'Twas me you found; I believe. Yes, I'm running an NTZ AL-09 on my 2003 Buick Lesabre. Is this the post in which you saw a picture of it? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4103172/Re:_Any_oil_&_filter_c#Post4103172

I can fill 4 pages of info for you; but I won't waste my time unless you or someone ask. NTZ no longer markets that police fleet filter; they ran out of stock on the castings for the housings. If you'd like to place a minimum order of 5,000; they will be happy to do a casting order for you with the foundry; but there isn't that much of a market for bypass filters for automotive use...So I've been told.

ihatetochangeoil,

Just wondering, how is the install of the Centrifuge progressing?

I've had issues; working on them. Needed a small machine shop to mill an adapter plate to bolt onto the bottom of the centrifuge; then I need to weld that plate to a piece of pipe and an16 fitting to drain back into the oil pan. I finally got the plate just a few days ago.

Then I bought an extra oil pan from a salvage yard, bead blasted it to clean it, took measurements and drilled a couple holes in it to weld fittings...Then I noticed that my junkyard "new" oil pan has either a crack or a seam running almost all the way across the bottom...don't know, did some idiot try to jack his car by the oil pan and broke the pan?

Not sure how or why it happened, but I'm not going to try to use this oil pan, so I need to buy another one and certainly look at it closely before paying for it. Meanwhile, I'm out of town traveling for another work assignment.

I do have all the fittings and hoses I need for installation...It is a work in progress, and I will definitely post pictures of my finished installation, and do UOA results. Thanks for asking.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil
'Twas me you found; I believe. Yes, I'm running an NTZ AL-09 on my 2003 Buick Lesabre. Is this the post in which you saw a picture of it? http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4103172/Re:_Any_oil_&_filter_c#Post4103172

Yep, that was it. Thank you. I won't ask you to write a dissertation. Now that I've found the Bypass forum (LOL!) I've been reading up on lots of the old posts. Tons of info here already.

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

It does beg the question as to why OEMs like Mitsubishi with 10 year 100,00 mile (US) / 160,000 Km (Canada) Powertrain warranties don't install them if there was a benefit that saved them warranty money.

With today's engines, you can almost beat them up and reach 100k miles. I think they don't want you to go much more than that as they are in the business of selling cars. Ever seen a car commercial where they advertise "our vehicles deliver at least 300,000 miles of driving pleasure..."?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back