Redline Engine Break-In Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using Delo 15w40 only as we speak for my rebuilt 6.0 lq4 going back in the 04 below.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Would this additive potentially raise the total base number of the oil when using a small maintenance dose due to the amount of calcium additive?

Yes it will.
It raised the TBN of a 0W-20 I ran to a level higher than the virgin oil in the UOA and I only bumped the phos' level into the 900 ppm range.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I wish they made something like this with little to no ZDDP in it, but with all of that calcium and magnesium, and even much more soluble (or trimer) moly, and boron in it.
wink.gif

The above would make a great mid to end of OCI TBN/add pack 'booster'!

Liqui-moly makes a product called motor oil saver. Its a di-ester and contains boron. It does exactly as you described and boosts tbn. I'm not sure about whether it contains moly. It's not black like their mos2 additive so I'm sure there isn't any mos2 in it.
Every used oil analysis that I saw with it in the oil had remarkably low wear metals.

I would use it, except that it is SOOOOOO durned viscous, and I don't need (at least not right now) the extra esters to help seals.

IF I ever notice severe oil burning/comsumption in this LS1, that stuff is the FIRST thing going into the oil (in the SUMMER time, of course
wink.gif
).

Does the Cer Tec contain as much boron? What about ca, and mg??

Ceratec does have boron however in what concentration I don't know. I pretty sure there isn t and ca or mg in it though

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
Would this additive potentially raise the total base number of the oil when using a small maintenance dose due to the amount of calcium additive?

Yes, I'd estimate it has a TBN of 55-65 undiluted, so figure it out with your dilution.

Charlie

There is a balance between the strength of the oil film and the additives , too much additives the oil film strength decreases not enough additives and there are other problems . What a world.

i posted a UOA with 2.5 ounces of redline break in oil added to almost 6 quarts of valvoline. the post is tacoma 5VZFE MIXED UOA

Originally Posted By: wjdell
Why do the oil companies put Ca in oil for - no big secret. Its mainly a detergent, its a solid. You could buy Calcium Carbonate in laboratory grade and add to oil yourself. Thats all they are doing.

Farmers have been using baking soda since the turn of the century.
It rushes break in and cleans in the process.

Where did you obtain this incorrect info? The processing of a specific calcium element with other components is necessary in the production of detergents.

Break-in oils require a majority of Anti-Wear components with minimal friction reduction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back