It's Here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all yous guys why want to fire shotshells in your revolver.

shiny-12-gauge-revolver-2.jpg

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2015/03/05/12-gauge-pistols/

Cool.

And in the pre-cartridge days there was the LeMat revolver, which took bullets AND shot.

Long video. He shoots with shot at about 12:42.

Looks like it would kick like a mule. I think you would have to have hands and arms like a NFL football player to have any chance of ever being able to fire a second round.

Looks like a gun Hellboy would use (reference for you comic book/science fiction fans)

I saw somewhere else the gun weighs 11 pounds. If that is true, it is made stout since I have 12 gauge Franchi's that weight just over half that. Probably has to be heavy so it won't break your wrist or what you in the head with how high the bore axis is in relation to the grip.

I'll take the judge /governor with option to use 45 long colt.

This always confused me, why would a sawed off shot gun be a big deal when you have these available.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik

This always confused me, why would a sawed off shot gun be a big deal when you have these available.

Why use a sawed off shotty when you can use a 410 revolver? Simple...do the math on muzzle energy for the two and it becomes clear the 410 is a wimp in comparison. Better to just use the 410 for snakes and small critters and use the 45 Colt on anything else.

You apparently never shot a sawed off pump shotgun. For when you simply want to kill every MFer in the room. Pretty devastating. A .410 just doesn't get it. I am not talking a 18" Barrell, Iam talking a 12" Barrell.

Last edited:
Now you did it! You said Long Colt!

With your thread title of "It's Here!!" you made me think you had ordered one of these and it had just arrived at your house. What is the title supposed to mean?

A few years ago Taurus announced the release of a "Raging Bull" revolver that fired 28ga shotshells.
Since it only fired shotshells, and not the .45/.410 like the other Judge revolvers, the ATF told them it would not be legal, and the announcement was cancelled.
Although, there may still be some photos of the prototype that was at the Shot Show floating around.

I always thought it was a fun idea.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
A few years ago Taurus announced the release of a "Raging Bull" revolver that fired 28ga shotshells.
Since it only fired shotshells, and not the .45/.410 like the other Judge revolvers, the ATF told them it would not be legal, and the announcement was cancelled.

That wasn't the reason. Even Taurus isn't that dumb. All they had to do is what Bond Arms does with their Derringers. And what they do with their Judge revolvers... Rifle the barrel. They could have easily gotten Federal or Hornady to produce a line of 28 gauge slugs, much like all of the .410 gimmick rounds they now produce for the Bond Arms guns, and the Judge revolvers.

The real reason is more complicated. At the same time Taurus was announcing a 28 gauge shotshell revolver, they were also announcing a revolver in .223. The frame they were going to produce for the .223 project would have been large enough for 28 gauge shotshells. However, they could never get the .223 revolver past the prototype stage. This was because of the cartridge set back they were experiencing from firing the bottleneck .223 round in a revolver. The high pressure .223 round would set back in the cylinder, against the back of the frame upon firing, tying up the gun, and the cylinder would lock up tight.

This is the same exact problem that Smith & Wesson experienced with their Model 53 .22 Jet revolver in the early 60's. The .22 Jet was based on a .357 Magnum case gradually tapered to .22 caliber. The gun also came with 6 chamber inserts that would allow the owner to fire .22 rimfire rounds as well. It had some type of contraption on the hammer to fire both centerfire and rimfire rounds. But they could never get the gun to quit locking up. So they discontinued it. Now they are collectors items fetching well into 4 digits.

Taurus went through the same thing. Another problematic revolver is the Magnum Research BFR in .30-30 Winchester. I've been looking for one for years. I have 2 BFR's, (1 in .45-70, and the other in .500 S&W Magnum), but the .30-30 models are scarce as a Democrat with common sense. Cartridge set back is the reason why, because the .30-30 round is also a bottlenecked rifle case. Magnum Research confirmed this when I called them. They simply don't produce that many because of customer related issues with cartridge set back.

Quote:
.357 Magnum case gradually tapered to .22 caliber.

Cartridge set back was the same problem we were having with our experimental .357 -.17.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back