Can Cartridge Filter O Rings be used repeatedly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flatlander757
I don't like that they omit o-rings, but the ACDelco filters are best for an Ecotec IMO. I use a Carquest filter every so often to get a new o-ring but otherwise reuse 2-3x when I run the Delco filters. No problems with leaks.

+1 It has been the best filter for my vehicle.

the green ecotec o rings are good for a long time and don't require changing every oil change, working at the GM dealer we would always get comebacks when someone would take it somewhere else and have the new o ring from a Fram installed and come to us for an oil change it would come back leaking, the Fram o rings flatten quite quickly, I've seen 2002 cars that were dedicated customers with hundreds of thousands of miles and never changed the o ring. Only twice do I remember changing the o ring on an ecotec where a green one was leaking and it was usually because of someone damaging it on install or removal of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which o-ring? My BMW has two: the large one that goes on top of the oil filter housing cap, and a small one that goes on the tip of the rod that keeps the cartridge filter in place.

I always replace the large one because a new one is provided in the box with the filter. But a replacement for the small one is not provided, so I have not been changing that one. I probably should. I'm guessing it's never been changed.

My M42 four cylinder filter cartridges come with both o-rings(the BMW ones, anyway) but as you pointed out, the six cylinder filters don't. I have nearly 187k on the X3 and it's still on it's original small o-ring. It looks fine.

The N52 oil filters (BMW, Mann, Mahle are the brands I have used) come with the large and small o-ring, as well as the copper drain bolt washer.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Which o-ring? My BMW has two: the large one that goes on top of the oil filter housing cap, and a small one that goes on the tip of the rod that keeps the cartridge filter in place.

I always replace the large one because a new one is provided in the box with the filter. But a replacement for the small one is not provided, so I have not been changing that one. I probably should. I'm guessing it's never been changed.

My M42 four cylinder filter cartridges come with both o-rings(the BMW ones, anyway) but as you pointed out, the six cylinder filters don't. I have nearly 187k on the X3 and it's still on it's original small o-ring. It looks fine.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
The N52 oil filters (BMW, Mann, Mahle are the brands I have used) come with the large and small o-ring, as well as the copper drain bolt washer.

I was referring to the M54- the BMW OEM filter comes with one large o-ring and the drain plug washer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back