Yes, There Have Been Aliens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

Quote:
A little bit, actually, yes. In a paper published in the May issue of the journal Astrobiology, the astronomer Woodruff Sullivan and I show that while we do not know if any advanced extraterrestrial civilizations currently exist in our galaxy, we now have enough information to conclude that they almost certainly existed at some point in cosmic history.

Quote:
Adam Frank is an astrophysics professor at the University of Rochester, a co-founder of NPR’s 13.7 Cosmos and Culture blog and the author of “About Time: Cosmology and Culture at the Twilight of the Big Bang.”

Not saying there isn't but so far we have nothing to say that there is. The Universe is 14 billion years old. Nearly infinite number of stars (roughly 10,000 for every single grain of sand on earth) and have 0 evidence to suggest there is other life.

Last edited:
If you take the whole universe and its size into perspective, then whether there are other intelligent life forms out there or not is still irrelevant to us, as we have extremely low chances of finding them or vice versa.
Now, if those probabilities were applicable only to our galaxy, we might have something worthwhile to discuss.

The real problem is that the speed of light probably can't be overcome. The other question also is how many of those aliens make it to a radio civilization.

Originally Posted By: article
we now have enough information to conclude that they almost certainly existed at some point in cosmic history.

Making conclusions without actual proof is a poor excuse for science. The "almost certainly" phrase is completely incompetent and renders the entire article worthless.

While I personally believe it is possible that there is other life in the universe, until it's proven it just remains speculation-nothing more. It's not definitive until it's proven.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The real problem is that the speed of light probably can't be overcome. The other question also is how many of those aliens make it to a radio civilization.

You can't overcome the speed of light. Once you go the speed of light time stops. Similar to the event horizon of black holes. Not only that but to travel at the speed of light (let alone faster) would require a infinite amount of energy and the same amount of energy to come to a stop.

There was some calculation that was based on the number of star systems with planets. Now that it's becoming clear that most star systems have a planet, the odds favor that there's some other alien life. The galaxy has 300 billion stars and there are over 100 billion galaxies. They couldn't really see planets before and it was somewhat of a guess how many star systems had planets.

Because of the expanding universe, there are actually galaxies receding from us at a rate that's greater than the speed of light so that they are unreachable at the speed of light. Basically we are moving away from them at one speed and they are also moving away from us at another speed.

This is nothing new. I have grand kids that seem to be of some alien form of life.

I have little doubt that prokaryotic life is abundant anywhere conditions permit. Eukaryotic life (plants, insects, animals, fungus) though, I think we're alone in the Milky Way, at least.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: article
we now have enough information to conclude that they almost certainly existed at some point in cosmic history.

Making conclusions without actual proof is a poor excuse for science. The "almost certainly" phrase is completely incompetent and renders the entire article worthless.

Well there are 10 E24 suns and if only one out of a million is capable of life...and if life exists on one of a million , there would be 1,000,000,000,000 planets with life. And given that life evolves its certain that intelligent life exists on billions of planets.

With high enough probabilities its more than "almost" certain...it "is" certain.

Originally Posted By: Bud
This is nothing new. I have grand kids that seem to be of some alien form of life.

Best quote of the entire thread!
grin.gif

Give a guy a calculator and he can prove anything. If this is what is passed off as science these days someone needs to go back to grade school. Very sad the title of the article is Yes, there have been aliens but then you read down it says " they almost certainly existed at some point in cosmic history." Apparently "almost" is now "yes".

Visitors from The Orion star belt were here and "Seeded" life as we know it. Ive come to believe that might have some truth. this is my beliefs and Im mostly quiet about it. I have no proof, just open minded, done some research, and find the topic fascinating.

I think intelligent life exist on other planets. I do not believe we have been visited by aliens. I just happen to think we are too far away from other alien worlds that we will never prove it by alien radio transmission in our lifetime. Who knows if other alien worlds commuicate by radio frequency anyways. And if they do, it could be an encrypted silent signal we can't hear or pick up with our technology.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
The real problem is that the speed of light probably can't be overcome.

Probabilistic post-modernist religion based on ignorance.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think intelligent life exist on other planets. I do not believe we have been visited by aliens. I just happen to think we are too far away from other alien worlds that we will never prove it by alien radio transmission in our lifetime. Who knows if other alien worlds commuicate by radio frequency anyways. And if they do, it could be an encrypted silent signal we can't hear or pick up with our technology.

I always like how people have certain conclusions in mind. I'm just open to the thought that it's possible that there have been alien visitations, but highly unlikely, no solid evidence. Mental illness can affect about 5% of the population. There's lots of hallucinations, and other psychological problems going on.

And I don't think you understand radio. Even if it's encrypted, you'd still see a pattern and there's still be a signal. A silent signal is basically no signal. That's like a saying they use light that's off. Or having tea and no tea at the same time. We've only had radio for 100 years, other civilizations could have come and gone in a million years and we've missed them. Lots of our communication is through fiber and cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back