Duralast Gold Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I'm looking to replace the OEM battery in my 2005 Tacoma. Yes, the original factory battery is a little over 11 years old and still seems fine - hard to believe. I've added distilled water a couple of times over it's lifetime, so maybe that has helped it live so long. But it's just a matter of time now before it goes bad, and I don't want to be caught out someplace if that happens.

So I'm looking at the 'Duralast Gold' battery from AutoZone. Seems like a decent battery, with a 3 year full replacement and then a 2 year pro-rate from year 3 to year 5. The OEM battery is a Group 27F (710 CCA), so I want to maintain that larger 27F size, and the Duralast Gold does have one in that group size for $133.

Anyone know who makes the Duralast batteries for AutoZone (Excide, Interstate ... ??).

Around here almost everything is Johnson control including Walmart, Autozone and AAP.

I have a strong preference towards East Penn/Deka batteries. Around here that's super start from O'Reilly or the ones from batteries plus

Instead of guessing, why not just get the battery load tested? Take it to an auto parts place and have them test it, see how much CCA it still has relative to new. Most places like Autozone do it for free.

Since you're obviously in the perfect climate for battery life, I'd get a $48 Walmart battery made by Johnson Controls. I put one in my car in January and I live in the worst place in the country IMO for batteries.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Instead of guessing, why not just get the battery load tested? Take it to an auto parts place and have them test it, see how much CCA it still has relative to new. Most places like Autozone do it for free.

The truck cranks fine, but this original battery is over 11 years old. I doubt it's going to last too much longer. I'd rather replace it soon than take chances of it failing on me out away from home.

When I told the Toyota dealer the original battery was still in the truck they couldn't believe it. I bought the truck brand new, so I know it's the original battery.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Around here almost everything is Johnson control including Walmart, Autozone and AAP.

I have a strong preference towards East Penn/Deka batteries. Around here that's super start from O'Reilly or the ones from batteries plus

The Toyota dealer has a battery in group 27F size for about the same price, brand is "Sure Start" made by Interstate.

I know Interstate use to be good batteries, so wondering if Johnson Controls (Duralife) or this Sure Start at the Toyota dealer made by Interstate would be better?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Since you're obviously in the perfect climate for battery life, I'd get a $48 Walmart battery made by Johnson Controls. I put one in my car in January and I live in the worst place in the country IMO for batteries.

Largest group size Walmart carries for this truck is 24F, which might work OK. I'd rather put a size 27F back in it since that's the OEM battery size.

24F is about 1-3/4" shorter in length. The width and height is basically the same between the 24F and 27F.

Zee0six I have a duralast gold battery that has been very good thus far. It has 35,000 miles worth of starts and running time. Has others have said, these are made by Johnson Control. Ohh and if you get the value power battery at Walmart beware of flying battery acid. Almost hit me in the face while lifting it off the top shelf.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The Toyota dealer has a battery in group 27F size for about the same price, brand is "Sure Start" made by Interstate.

I know Interstate use to be good batteries, so wondering if Johnson Controls (Duralife) or this Sure Start at the Toyota dealer made by Interstate would be better?

The Toyota replacement battery is actually called "TrueStart", not "Sure Start" as I said above.

http://www.toyota.com/toyota-owners-online-theme/pdf/Batteries2011-LowRes.pdf

Johnson Controls builds Interstate batteries. If the price is the same, go with the better warranty.

You do know that your current battery will die on a ferry, don't you?
blush.gif

Ed

The red top Duralast seem to be the best around here. I change out plenty of Duralast gold tops that are only two or three years old. Most of the red tops I change are more like five plus years old.

The Duralast red top in the old van was seven years old and still going when I changed it (proactive maintenance). Dad's still using it for a tractor battery.

I see the Toyota "TrueStart" batteries have a $25 rewards card incentive if bought in the month of June. I might go for that, plus those batteries are built to Toyota's specs, so they are probably pretty good. As pointed out, built by Interstate/Johnson Controls.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Johnson Controls builds Interstate batteries. If the price is the same, go with the better warranty.

You do know that your current battery will die on a ferry, don't you?
blush.gif

Ed

Thanks for that info. Toyota dealer said their TrueStart battery was made by Interstate, so it must ultimately be Johnson Controls.

Yeah, could be lots of places where a dead battery could make for a bad day.

That's awesome on the OEM. I had a Trustart Toyota Battery that started leaking out the terminals in a little over 2 years as best I could tell. The battery was in a used vehicle I purchased and probably wouldn't qualify for any pro-rating. You should google others experiences on the Tru-Start batteries for your application. Replaced with an East Penn produced battery from Oreilly's 24F is my size, but Oreillys put in a different one turned upside down so the terminals matched the cables and it seems to be doing fine so far. The warranty is only 3 yrs no pro rated.

Ive had good luck with napa legend batteries. Believe they are made by east penn/deka. Other choice i would look at is buying one from advance auto with a code and do store pickup. They have JC batteries there.

Bought a Duralast Gold a little over 3 years ago for my wifes 2008 Honda CR-V and it will be the last one I buy. It failed at 39 months on a hot day last month.

I decided to try a Deka/East Penn battery. I replaced it with one from O'Reily's and will see how it does. It was $15 more than the pro rated replacement from AZ.

In my area the Adavance and Autozone batteries have been made by JCI. If that's the case in your area, you can maybe get it cheaper at Advance with a discount code.

The O'reiley batteries I've looked at seemed to be Deka batteries.

lemme guess.
the oem is a panasonic?
i got like 200 of them dry charged about 10 years ago.
most are still in use on ups systems and solar amateur radio backups.too bad nothing you buy today will match it.
btw the dealer i got these from sold them to me cheap because the help they had could not activate(fill)one without making a mess.
are the techs that lousy in the dealerships?
if they cant fill a simple battery what else will they foul up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back