No more VR-1 in Calif ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a thread at Chevelles.com :

billbonn80

My local NAPA can't sell VR-1 anymore. I happened to be in Reno, Nv. last month and got what I needed there. Also cheaper than what I was paying in Ca.

Bummer
frown.gif

Can still get it off Amazon for a while I guess ... Will stock up for break-in oil for future builds while I can...

Next stop Reno to visit step mom (and do a little shopping...)
laugh.gif

Last edited:
California is just taking care of you and me. What would we do without all this help? We'd be lost in a wilderness of having to think and make our own decisions.

What is the zinc level of VR1? If it's 1100-1300, then Delo SAE 30 would be a good substitute, if you can get it....Check out the Delo SAE 30 thread over in the VOA section, go to page two, and find the PDS link. Currently it's API SJ/CF, with 1220 zinc and 1100 phosphorus. If that's less, then it would still work well with half a bottle of zinc additive for break ins.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
California is just taking care of you and me. What would we do without all this help? We'd be lost in a wilderness of having to think and make our own decisions.

And ME too. Thanks a lot California !

I bought few quarts on clearance shelf at local O'Reilly few months ago for 49 cents/qt.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why it is not longer sold. We run VR-1 50W in our Blowin alky 41 Willis. There is a lot of racers that use it. I guess well have to find a replacement.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
can't we ask Valvoline?

Exactly. Do we have any information that it is indeed "banned" or are retailers just not carrying it? I can get VR-1 20w-50 really easily at Walmart, but no one sells the 10w-30 up here. I'm not exactly sure it's banned, though.

It's an "obsolete" oil banned by the CUSSR for not meeting modern oil specs.

They can eff off. VR1 holds up in engines that eat HDEO's for breakfast.

More dumb regulatory bull by the nanny state.

Well, if that's the case, it is pretty dumb. It's really a race oil. It's not designed to be some cheap, garbage oil that's ripping customers off and damaging their engines. What happens to Joe Gibbs, RP HPS, Red Line, uncertified Amsoil stuff, or any non-certified HM oils?

$122,200,000,000.00 of extortion frittered away from our state capital on ~38,800,000 inhabitants.

VR-1 was the biggest scourge facing out great state!

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Valvoline VR1 Outdated? aren't most versions of VR1 API SM? ridiculous

Or, how about an exemption for non-certified race oils, and market it as such. Sheesh. Yet, I'm sure the dollar store shelves are filled with garbage, not to mention convenience stores and gas stations.

So does anyone have any actual data on this, or just speculation? I don't use VR1, or have a use for it, but a lot of the hot rod guys who are our customers do. It's always good to have ZDDP options out there, other than additives. California has a huge hot rod/street rod group, so I imagine they know something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back