Marlin Model 60 Rifling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
So I decided to go pick up a Marlin Model 60 with the stainless steel barrel (the model 60SB). Upon getting it home I did a thorough inspection and noticed the rifling is essentially gone in the last 1/4" of the barrel. The rifling lands almost look smeared where they end 1/4" down inside from the end, and I can see machine marks in that area.

I don't think this is normal and looks like something went hay-wire during the rifling process. I would expect the lands to go all the way in perfect condition to the very end of the barrel crown ... it's that way on ever gun I've ever laid eyes on.

I called the gun store I bought it at and said I want to bring the gun back and they can just send it back to Marlin as a defective rifle and Marlin can do whatever they want with it. I don't want it, and I don't want to spend more money for shipping and deal with Marlin fixing it which would probably mean putting a new barrel on the same receiver to keep the serial number.

Thoughts?

It is possible they "flare" the barrel (open up the bore) near the last 0.25" in order to not have the lands and groves damaged at the end of the muzzle.

I have a HighPoint 0.40 cal carbine and they flare the bore about 0.1" from the end of the muzzle. SO for the last 0.1" there are no lands and grooves. Doesn't affect accuracy in the least.

Last edited:
Can you compare it with another in stock marlin to see if they differ? I have the Marlin 795 and like the 60 they are nice and accurate . Unless you want to spend a bunch more money and modify then the choice is the Ruger 1022.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
It is possible they "flare" the barrel (open up the bore) near the last 0.25" in order to not have the lands and groves damaged at the end of the muzzle.

I have a HighPoint 0.40 cal carbine and they flare the bore about 0.1" from the end of the muzzle. SO for the last 0.1" there are no lands and grooves. Doesn't affect accuracy in the least.

It's possible I guess. I'm going to call Marlin tomorrow and find out if that's something they do. If it's supposed to be that way it's a very sloppy job as it actually looks like some of the lands are still there but bent at a different angle than what they are coming down the barrel.

I got some decent flash photos of the inside of the barrel end and will upload and post them here in a bit.

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
Can you compare it with another in stock marlin to see if they differ? I have the Marlin 795 and like the 60 they are nice and accurate . Unless you want to spend a bunch more money and modify then the choice is the Ruger 1022.

Comparing to another new Marlin on the shelf was also a thought I had in mind. I already have a Ruger 10/22 ... just wanted another inexpensive semi-auto .22 rifle to play with.

Remlin's quality is iffy these days. $600+ rifles are cobbled together. No telling what happens with cheaper offerings. The real test is to shoot it and see how it does.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

It's possible I guess. I'm going to call Marlin tomorrow and find out if that's something they do. If it's supposed to be that way it's a very sloppy job as it actually looks like some of the lands are still there but bent at a different angle than what they are coming down the barrel.

I got some decent flash photos of the inside of the barrel end and will upload and post them here in a bit.

It does look weird because your mind is expecting a continuous L/G to the tip of the muzzle.

In addition, some Manf. use a "progressive" twist.

Last edited:
You guys be the judge. You can actually see the lands bend at a different angle, and the lands isn't totally gone if they did try to machine them out 1/4" down from the crown - if that was indeed the design.

If the lands were supposed to be removed at the end of the barrel, they didn't do a very good job as you can still see lands around the circumference of the barrel right at the exit point (2nd photo at the 11:30 and 1 o'clock position for instance).

In addition, some Manf. use a "progressive" twist.

I doubt the little 'squiggle' in the last 1/4" of lands as shown in the 2nd photo above is progressive twist by design. I think they were actually smeared into a different angle by whatever happened to the last 1/4" of this barrel.

You can actually see the land's material has been shred/smeared and jagged ends are left behind.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
Somebody put something bad in there. If its new it wont cost you anything to have Marlin replace it.

I just bought it today, 3 hours ago. Will Marlin replace the whole gun? I don't want them trying to put a new barrel on it.

I don't want this one obviously. I'm going to see if the store I bought it at today will refund my money and send it back to Marlin as 'not fit to sell'. I got this for a really good deal too. Maybe the store can get a whole new replacement from Marlin ... ?

I guess you have to bring all kinds of inspection tools to go buy a new gun these days. Manufacturing quality sucks in this case.

The Freedom Group quality control is pretty spotty at best. Remember these are the same people that released the Remington R51 pistols before they were properly developed. They are likely so worried about rushing stuff out the door with an eye towards profit versus performance that lemons are going to slip through.

They still can make good guns, you just have to trust but verify before taking them home.

Why don't you want Marlint to put a barrel on that gun? If they send you a different rifle...they would have put a barrel on that new rifle.

They didn't mess up the barrel installation on your rifle. It's just a bad part.

Some LGSs will take back an unfired gun for an obvious defect, some say you own it when it goes out the door and you deal with the manufacturer. Only you can determine what this LGS's policy is.

That's plain ugly and a "good deal" Model 60 isn't worth any amount of additional expense to "make it right".

Best wishes for a good outcome and make note of a learning experience.

Only thing I can compare it to is my Marlin 1895G in .45-70. It does not look like that. Smooth rifling all the way through, although I realize it's a completely different caliber.

Looks like a machining defect in the first shot you posted. I'd try to take it back to the LGS. I've dealt with Marlin customer support when I bought the 1895G a few years back. The rifle was a display item that I got for cheap and the lever cam was worn out from people cycling it so many times in the store. Doubt it was ever lubed at the factory.

I called Marlin to see if I could purchase a new lever, the lady on the phone sounded really agitated when I first introduced myself. In a mad tone she said I'd have to send it as Marlin doesn't sell parts (is that true?). I asked for the mailing address. She told me the address is on the website... Got myself a good laugh out of that conversation. Ended up finding a new lever on the Marlin firearms forum for a few bucks.

Maybe things have changed, not sure.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Some LGSs will take back an unfired gun for an obvious defect, some say you own it when it goes out the door and you deal with the manufacturer. Only you can determine what this LGS's policy is.

That's plain ugly and a "good deal" Model 60 isn't worth any amount of additional expense to "make it right".

Best wishes for a good outcome and make note of a learning experience.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
It's a bad barrel. Take it back to the store and have them replace it with another ...

I'll deal with the gun store tomorrow. I called then an hour after I got home but the manager was already gone. The guy in the gun dept said he left a detailed email about the situation. Will update this thread with the outcome.

Guess the only thing learned here is you better take a bore light and a magnifying glass and look down the barrel of any gun you decide to purchase. Pretty sad when you have to do such things to ensure it's right. Never had to do such things in 30 years of buying guns.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Why don't you want Marlint to put a barrel on that gun? If they send you a different rifle...they would have put a barrel on that new rifle.

They didn't mess up the barrel installation on your rifle. It's just a bad part.

I really don't want a gun that is already all together to be stripped and have a pressed in barrel removed and a new one installed. I don't have any faith in the job being done correctly, and I'm pretty sure the gun would most likely get dinged or scratched in the process. People just don't seem to take their time or to care enough to be careful and do a job right - I've been bitten many times in this area.

I'd be happy with a full refund from the store, or a new complete gun replacement from Marlin (thru the store if they can swing something like that).

I've return ed guns before right after purchase. Bought a remington 870 tactical. Took it home took it apart and found the action and trigger parts rusty. The store took it back without any noise. Ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back