Cam chain rattle: Oils to use going forwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
20W-50 until a new timing kit is installed. It might even eliminate the rattle permanently.

So now oil will repair worn out parts? Am I the only one here that thinks this is nuts?

Last edited:
20W-50 until a new timing kit is installed. It might even eliminate the rattle permanently.

So now oil will repair worn out parts? Am I the only one here that thinks this is nuts? ............
No! Thicker oil will not repair worn parts, But thicker oils in a non worn engine will prevent parts from wearing. 2002 Ford Ranger 4.0 SOHC 4x4 15w-40 Delo. never have touched this engine. 160,000 miles, bought new.

Originally Posted By: tig1
So now oil will repair worn out parts? Am I the only one here that thinks this is nuts?

Worn chain guides = increased clearance

Increased clearance = rattle

Thicker oil = decreased clearance

Decreased clearance = peace and quiet

+1 and it's a cheap test
smile.gif

Pulling the engine to replace the rear cam chain is not nearly as easy ...

20W-50 now, I can see my already stellar gas mileage will be going down even more...haha...

I'm going to try the Rotella T6 5W-40, first without the MoS2, and see how that affects the rattle.

Then after a week (strangely, while it happens most of the time on startup, sometimes it starts up with zero rattle), I'll drop in the MoS2 and the small amount of Rotella I hold back to rinse the MoS2 bottle out. Sort of a trial to see how MoS2 affects the rattle (if at all...I doubt it'll affect it much).

If the 5W-40 T6 doesn't get rid of the rattle, I short change it and try some dino 20W-50. Lordy...20W-50...

I'll bet the rattle will still be there. Fix the guides, fix the rust, keep it for another 150k.

Originally Posted By: chucky2
If the 5W-40 T6 doesn't get rid of the rattle, I short change it and try some dino 20W-50. Lordy...20W-50...

Buy a bottle of 20W-50 sometime, you'll see that it's not as thick as grease like people think.

It would have made an excellent BandAid, but now we'll never know.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I'll bet the rattle will still be there. Fix the guides, fix the rust, keep it for another 150k.

I simply don't have time to fix them myself, and I really don't want to pay the local mechanic, who is used to working on ghetto cruisers, to attempt to properly do the job. That leaves a Ford stealership, and at least in the Chi area, those rates are exorbitant. Like, I mine as well let the engine blow and just get a low mileage pull or a quality reman. The rust...yeah, I'm considering that.

Originally Posted By: cmhj
Do it right or don't complain and run it until it blows

Again, doing it right is me pulling the engine and doing it myself, and I don't have time for that. I'm just looking for the best protection, and hopefully noise alleviation, I can get until I can get to it (which is a year, year+).

Originally Posted By: chucky2

Buy a bottle of 20W-50 sometime, you'll see that it's not as thick as grease like people think.

It would have made an excellent BandAid, but now we'll never know.

If the Rotella T6 5W-40 doesn't work, I will try the 20W-50. So we will know know if the T6 fails to stop the rattly rattle.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back