02 Jeep Liberty, 239K Miles, leaks little oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brother got a Jeep Liberty with the 3.7L V6 Engine, no idea what it had in it before but it leaks a little bit of oil. Going to do an OC and thinking of throwing in MaxLife 10w-30 or maybe 10w-40 with a Fram Ultra and see if it stops the leak or slows it down. I'm sure he will get it looked at eventually, but I'm just wondering if there will be any harm doing the 10w-40 even though its specced for 5w-30/10w-30?

How much is a little bit? How much is having to be added per say 3k miles?? If it's excessive than oil probably won't fix it as you know I am sure.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
At that mileage, 10W-40 should be fine above freezing.

Don't listen to this guy OP. Freezing to Merk is anything below 65*F.

10w40 would work, but I would personally consider a 10w30 high mileage.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
At that mileage, 10W-40 should be fine above freezing.

10w40 would work, but I would personally consider a 10w30 high mileage.

Man you are always lurking on here but not JF ...
wink.gif

Yepp, personally I would do PHM 5w30/10w30.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
How much is a little bit? How much is having to be added per say 3k miles?? If it's excessive than oil probably won't fix it as you know I am sure.

Not sure just bought it over the weekend and at the gas station we noticed it dripping. Too slow to see the drops but could see maybe a nickel size wet spot over an hour (guessing). It runs awesome so other than the drops we are OK for now.

I will try 10w-30 first and see if it helps. Next OC I will try 10w-40 if he doesn't have it fixed by than.

I've read that a lot of people here love the 40 oils, why is that exactly? I wouldn't have even considered it if not for this site.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I was just throwing that out there. I really didn't expect anybody to let me get away with it.
grin2.gif

"Until he gets it looked at"

Why dont you look under the hood and under the car to see where the leak is coming from? Seems pretty straight forward

Originally Posted By: skip029
I've read that a lot of people here love the 40 oils, why is that exactly? I wouldn't have even considered it if not for this site.

How old are you? I'm guessing in your 20's maybe? Early 20's? Some cars still call for a 40 weight oil.

There's nothing wrong with a 40 grade, at least within some semblance of reason. However, I don't have much use for a 10w-40. Generally speaking, I'm not sure what it can accomplish that a 15w-40, 5w-40, or 0w-40 cannot, except, perhaps with some HM oil examples, and even then, I'm reluctant.

I'd try a 5W30 HM oil, which can be used in most place all year with no worries. You can always go up a grade to a 40. And while under the hood try and find the leak. It could be as simple as replacing a valve cover gasket.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Yepp, personally I would do PHM 5w30/10w30.

My thoughts as well, thicker for grade than Maxlife so you can forget the 10w40. PHM also has a reputation at least equal to Maxlife for stopping and slowing leaks.

Maxlife if phenomenal oil but in this case would be my second choice.

If it is dripping, no oil HM, 10w-40 or what ever is going to stop it.

I would look at it and see where it is leaking and determine if it is oil, transfluid, PS fluid or what ever.

Go to a Liberty board and see whath they say are common isues for leaks?

Per oil I would run a few short intervals of 5w-30 synthetic, would change the PCV and check the plumbing to the manifold and then change the T-case,trans, coolant and diff fluids, PS fluid and bleed the brakes. Filters and plugs would also be changed.

Update.

Took it in to get an oil change with 10w-30 Maxlife synth blend and Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Total clean bill of health and no mention of oil leaks from the line guys. We drove the jeep around for a couple hours and parked it and no drops of oil. Praying that the leak is gone. Thank you everyone for the peace of mind!

If you do notice leaks, going forward, the passenger side valve cover is the number cause. Change them both using the Fel-Pro gasket set, including oil filler tube gasket and the bolt grommets.

Some leakage from the front or rear main seals has been reported, but not very common, and certainly not enough to drip... just seep.

Hopefully it was just spillage or something, and doesn't come back.

Update.

Took it in to get an oil change with 10w-30 Maxlife synth blend and Fram Ultra Synthetic filter. Total clean bill of health and no mention of oil leaks from the line guys. We drove the jeep around for a couple hours and parked it and no drops of oil. Praying that the leak is gone. Thank you everyone for the peace of mind!

That's good news. I'd use a 5W30 HM oil in it all year it might help keep it from leaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back