new handlebars

Status
Not open for further replies.
I`m putting a set of new handlebars on my Diamondback hybrid . Going with a 5" rise handlebar to replace the flat bars that are on it. Did the same set-up on my other bike and love it . I wasn`t riding the Diamondback since I did that . I`m hoping I don`t have to replace my shifter and brake cables but I`m pretty sure they are going to be too short with the new bars .

Bar ends were never meant to be mounted straight up like deer antlers. Let's put our hands 6-8 inches or more away from our brake levers then have a little emergency...you're skwewed.

Bar ends are great, still have them on 2 bikes oriented and used as intended.

If you need a higher hand position do it right and safely. A few bucks to have the cables extended is sure less costly than road surfing.

The one shop I stopped at wanted a $100 to change the cables. That is why I intend to do it myself .

Originally Posted By: Jimkobb
The one shop I stopped at wanted a $100 to change the cables. That is why I intend to do it myself .

Not that hard. Surely they all don't need changed. If you don't have one buy a Park cable cutter when you get the cables.

Was that $100 parts and labor? Not terrible if that's all 4, you'll have $50ish in parts.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: Jimkobb

Not that hard. Surely they all don't need changed. If you don't have one buy a Park cable cutter when you get the cables.

Was that $100 parts and labor? Not terrible if that's all 4, you'll have $50ish in parts.

That is parts and labor. I did the same to another bike and they replaced my cables and a gear shifter for $80. But that was a different shop .

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You can get brake and shifter cable kits that include the housing end caps and crimps.

Got some on order off Ebay.

Ordered "Jagwire" #171440431882 off Ebay direcr from China for $7.60 for the set that includes shipping. I will see how they are
Not out much money should they not work out.

Some good resources out there on tricks to replacing cables as well as the proper way to set up derailleurs and brakes. If you aren't experienced don't expect it to be perfect right away... but its simple and if you are OK with fixing cars and such its definitely learnable.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Some good resources out there on tricks to replacing cables as well as the proper way to set up derailleurs and brakes. If you aren't experienced don't expect it to be perfect right away... but its simple and if you are OK with fixing cars and such its definitely learnable.

Shhhh! Making deerailyers work is voodoo black art magic! Jagwire is decent stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back