2016 Isle of Man TT

Status
Not open for further replies.
First races were today and Michael Dunlop shattered the lap record.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/northern-ireland/36452287

His first lap average speed was 133.37mph, second lap was 133.39 for a time of 16'58.25" around the 37.733 mile (60.725KM) course.

I am always blown away by this race. A classmate of mine in high school raced on circuits here and has a record at Pike's Peak. He said he would never to the Isle of Man TT, "those guys are *bleep* crazy"

13308563_10153405822857574_4752061876498981605_o.jpg

13227650_10153402271862574_2153182227377725245_o.jpg

Such amazing imagery. Watching the on-board cameras is intense.

A guy who lives a few miles from me died in a sidecar race today.
Terible for those left behind but the best way to go is doing what you love.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice but a bit too risky at those speeds on closed public road.
Risk is the spice of live,

Isle of Man TT is on my bucket list. Crashes like the one above happen, it's all part and parcel of "real roads" racing, the riders know and accept the risks. Hoping Cam Donald does really well this year!

Going as fast as they do compresses time and space. I couldn't imagine running the bike as they do.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: CT8
Risk is the spice of live

Tell that to this guy. That's not "risk". It's Russian Roulette with 5 out of 6 chambers loaded.

He is dead I won't be able to tell him anything now. If I said to him you are doing a dangerous thing would he have not raced? It was his passion .He knew the risk and entered the TT willingly. I would rather no one ever was hurt, maimed or die. These guys compete in a mans sport with mans consequences, No Danica shaking her boobies at the spectators.

People crash and die in motor racing, that's just a fact of life. It's sad, but it happens, and the participants know the risks. Please, let's not turn this into a "motorcycles are dangerous" discussion, we already know that!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hpb
People crash and die in motor racing, that's just a fact of life. It's sad, but it happens, and the participants know the risks.

While that's true, it doesn't mean you have to up the risk by racing on streets designed for 50 KPH, instead of tracks where the potential for a fatal accident is far less. Look at how many riders have died in Moto GP bike racing on F1 circuits, as opposed to how many have died, or been seriously injured in the Isle Of Man. There have been over 270 recorded competitor deaths in the Isle of Man since 1910. That's an average of over 2.5 deaths per race. That's not ridiculous. It's completely insane.

Originally Posted By: hpb
People crash and die in motor racing, that's just a fact of life. It's sad, but it happens, and the participants know the risks. Please, let's not turn this into a "motorcycles are dangerous" discussion, we already know that!
People die in plane crashes and in swimming pools in the military and in logging accidents ,construction accidents, heart attacks liver diseases,Cancers. strokes falls from Horses as well as Lion attacks . Shark attacks, Boating, accidents, Cattle stampedes ,drug over doses Alcohol poisoning, ISSil attacks, accidental police shootings electrocutions, Skiing accidents practicing sports ETC We have to make up a post on the ways to die.

We have to make up a post on the ways to die.

When you do, post the odds up along with it. Let's see where motorcycle racing at 160 MPH on city streets, ranks against "swimming pools and falls from horses".

You tried that tack in another thread with a death by all causes chart...

Need to include participation rates for any of those calcs, and it paints a very different position from the "all causes" data.

Originally Posted By: billt460

When you do, post the odds up along with it. Let's see where motorcycle racing at 160 MPH on city streets, ranks against "swimming pools and falls from horses".
The bad part about the street racing is when you rake an innocent with you. Going t=down the road at 150 and running head on to the big Oak tree oh well that is the risk you take . Killing another because of you risk is bad news. The numbers don't matter.

The bad part about the street racing is when you rake an innocent with you. Going t=down the road at 150 and running head on to the big Oak tree oh well that is the risk you take . Killing another because of you risk is bad news. The numbers don't matter.

Was always my mantra when I was driving poorly (really well in my mind) in my early 20s...always alone, and always (I thought) with the safety of others in mind...it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back