One for all

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMK

OK, I picked one of these, not exact one but same idea.
mt0zko.jpg
I own a 2013 2500 Silverado (few zerks) 02 liberty (near zero zerks) a 79 cherry Lincoln Mark V with zerks all over. a simplicity mower with 15+ zerks, a Kubota with a bucket, snow plow and hoe with 40+ zerks then a a seeder with 10+ zerks then misc stuff like a wheel barrel with a zerk in the front wheel. I will buy tubs of wheel bearing grease and cv grease but is there a one grease to fit all my apps. The Kubota doesn't specify what to use.

That unit is cool. I remember seeing similar hardware mounted atop taller (full sized?) grease drums.

Air was pumped in-grease came out the hose.

You could look at Chevron Delo ESI, Mobilgrease XHP 222 or LE Almagard 3752 for your climate

I use Volvoline Synpower in my gun but I use far less than you do. I would expect some Mystic fans to chime in here soon.

Are you looking for "budget" or "top notch?"

It's electric powered grease Gun, not that exact model. 40 foot hose, not sure of pressure but its enough. Got to clean it up and dig out the red/grey/green grease that's in it now. Got it off a old farmer so I guess you use what you got.

I'm not looking budget but not needing the super synthetic $5000 30 gal barrel either. I use the Kubota daily and it says every 10 hours on loader, bucket & hoe, I can do 10 hours a day easily.

Originally Posted By: zuluplus30
NLGI #2 Lithium Complex. Any brand is fine. This is my "universal" grease for everything

Yes, exactly. Any name brand should do. Eg

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/greases/cid(521)/multi_purpose_grease

Or

http://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/cars/greases/premium-heavy-duty.html

The details depends on your local market.
For the high volume you are using, I would save a few dollars and not get a more expensive synthetic grease. Also, my personal preference is not to use a Moly grease, unless I need a moly grease for that particular application.

So a good lithium complex grease (but not a lithium soap grease).

On the loader-bucket-hoe front you would definitely benefit from Moly then.. more or less, standardizing on one universal grease is difficult: if you use a moly-free EP grease, apply it more frequently

I agree with quality lithium soap based NGLI2. You can buy several good brands in pales to fill a monster like that.

Kubota markets their branded polyurea type as their best and also offer an alternative lithium soap based with moly. This is ideal for loader pins, but maybe not for applications with U joints and high speed bearings (but not sure I buy into that, yet).

Pick the type that suits your fancy and stick with it. Lithium and Polyurea may not play well together, but again, I have swithed willy-nilly in past without blowing-up.

prs

Don't get Lithium Soap (Stearate) and Lithium Complex grease mixed up. They are both good and share similar properties, but the complex grease can handle higher temperatures and therefore is better for wheel bearings etc.

Here is a Machinery Lubrication article comparing the two
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28381/grease-lithium-production-resistance

You want the Lithium Complex grease, it's worth the extra pennies.

Here is another good article comparing Lithium to Calcium grease
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29658/multi-purpose-grease

Enjoy

Wheel bearing grease will work well as a chassis lube in my experience. Do not mix wheel bearing and CV grease. They are not the same.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
Wheel bearing grease will work well as a chassis lube in my experience. Do not mix wheel bearing and CV grease. They are not the same.
Valvoline Durablend says it is suitable for CV joints.

However, I never use it for that purpose, I just buy a small container of CV joint specific grease.

The best "universal" type grease I could think of would be a NGLI GC-LB rated lithium complex grease. I would recommend Mystik JT-6 hi-temp, works well in everything and has the numbers to back it up.

Lucas marine and CRC new generation grease also make great general purpose, all around greases.

If I was going to pick one grease, Mobilith SHC220...I could do an entire power station with that one (except one with Rothmeule air heaters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back