'88 Caddy Brougham 307 c.u. oil selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

The Brougham has 67k miles, and I am wondering if high mileage oil would be a good option or shall I stick with regular 10w30 oil. Last time, I use Castrol white bottle 10w30.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.

What does the owners manual recommend for oil weight?

For a filter, use a Wix/Napa Gold (they're the same). And ignore the snarky comments. You have a classic, enjoy.

OK, that's a lot of years w/o much mileage... So I'm guessing it sat a LOT? It may have also run for hours at idle...

So I'd like to know what the engine looks like under the valve covers? What does it sound like cold? Hot?

Any weeps, drips, leaks?

First I'd replace the PCV valve and any hardened hoses on that circuit. Check for vacuum leaks.

Then I'd do a few short oil changes. I'd use an oversized filter (check with local Napa Auto, they'll cross reference) and I'd likely run a can of BG-109 or Kreen into it for a day before each change.

Add a magnetic drain plug and check if you are getting bits of anything at each change.

Do a solid tune-up and maybe loose the old plug wires for some modern spiral wound wires.

Does it have a ECM controlled HEI and a Quadrajet?

For oil, I'd use Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 (red bottle blend) with the added seal conditioners. You have gaskets and seals that may be getting hard due to age, not miles...

But at that age, you should be aware that things are happening. I'd have a good brake inspection and a brake fluid change. It tends to accumulate water over time and the calipers or wheel cylinders may be going bad just from age and corrosion inside.

I'd also do a tranny service. New filter and fluid (as much as it will take on a pan-drop).

Definitely new anti-freeze and we have no idea where the pH is on the existing stuff...

Last edited:
And lastly, the battery/body/engine ground points will be getting corroded. Even if garaged and all, it'll still happen. So either take them apart and clean them, or run additional ones.

I like to use fairly healthy wire (6 ga or bigger), crimp and solder-on terminals and convenient body bolts to re-run some grounds. Back the bolts out, wire brush them, add a smidge of anti-seize and bolt the new wire terminals down.

They will refresh the threads going in and all you gauges/lights/radio and even engine will run better
smile.gif

Last edited:
An 88 should have a roller cam engine right? Castrol GTX is not what it used to be, itsnot as good anymore, i'm sure M1 10w30 HM or maybe even Rotella 10w30 or 5w40 will be good

I don't see any better 10w30 than t5/delo for that car. Cheap (enough), stout base, stout ep and detergent add pack.

I have an 89 in my garage in very good condition..My parents car, i got it when my Mom got her 2005 Grand marquis in 2005 and it has been in my garage ever since. We always used Pennzoil 10w30 yellow bottle in the winter and Pennzoil High Mileage in the summer and back then either a purolater classic or an a/c Delco It runs perfect to this day..Always used max life trans fluid and trans is also original. Does not burn any oil but there is a slight seepage around the main seal. very very slight.I also have the one they had before that Which is a 79 Cadillac sedan de ville also very good condition. It has been in my garage for 20 years now also runs and looks good. That one we bought used and used to be owned by a very famous actress's grandfather a super nice guy. I have 4 large garages and they are all full ..LOL

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
OK, that's a lot of years w/o much mileage... So I'm guessing it sat a LOT? It may have also run for hours at idle...

So I'd like to know what the engine looks like under the valve covers? What does it sound like cold? Hot?

Any weeps, drips, leaks?

First I'd replace the PCV valve and any hardened hoses on that circuit. Check for vacuum leaks.

Then I'd do a few short oil changes. I'd use an oversized filter (check with local Napa Auto, they'll cross reference) and I'd likely run a can of BG-109 or Kreen into it for a day before each change.

Add a magnetic drain plug and check if you are getting bits of anything at each change.

Do a solid tune-up and maybe loose the old plug wires for some modern spiral wound wires.

Does it have a ECM controlled HEI and a Quadrajet?

For oil, I'd use Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 (red bottle blend) with the added seal conditioners. You have gaskets and seals that may be getting hard due to age, not miles...

But at that age, you should be aware that things are happening. I'd have a good brake inspection and a brake fluid change. It tends to accumulate water over time and the calipers or wheel cylinders may be going bad just from age and corrosion inside.

I'd also do a tranny service. New filter and fluid (as much as it will take on a pan-drop).

Definitely new anti-freeze and we have no idea where the pH is on the existing stuff...

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have an 89 in my garage in very good condition..My parents car, i got it when my Mom got her 2005 Grand marquis in 2005 and it has been in my garage ever since. We always used Pennzoil 10w30 yellow bottle in the winter and Pennzoil High Mileage in the summer and back then either a purolater classic or an a/c Delco It runs perfect to this day..Always used max life trans fluid and trans is also original. Does not burn any oil but there is a slight seepage around the main seal. very very slight.I also have the one they had before that Which is a 79 Cadillac sedan de ville also very good condition. It has been in my garage for 20 years now also runs and looks good. That one we bought used and used to be owned by a very famous actress's grandfather a super nice guy. I have 4 large garages and they are all full ..LOL

Nice

I have an 86 that was my grandparents, the other cousins were a bit hard on it, but I will be starting a restore, as I OWE that to gram and pap. The intake needs done, but I plan to run the following:
10w30 Rotella, with Napa gold 1258 filter, this is the shorter fat filter.
The car has not been ran in 2-3 years so soon enough we will know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back