Do you have a fave Motorcycle Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Bel-Ray EXS in my ZX14R. I don't really have a valid reason other than that I have had good service from this brand from as far back as the middle-late 1970's.

It's rather expensive but it's nothing that would break the bank. Motorcycles are nothing more than a hobby for me so I just factor the cost into the sport.

Mystik JT8 Semi Syn 15/50

Why? Its the only oil available that I know of with a Ch4/Cj4 rating required by Harley for my bike, other then their oil and much more expensive Amsoil and Red Line.

Other reason why is, having run it now for almost 3 OCI fills and a couple UOAs plus one VOA, all posted here I cant find a reason not to use it. Engine runs quiet, good wear numbers, no unpleasant tapping or noise, and again, fills Harleys requirements, I guess its a no brainer.

$34 for a 2 gallon container delivered to my door makes it more attractive but the reason is it meets Harleys specs.

There is a little blind faith, that Citgo, maker of Mystik is being honest about its rating, being, like many oils, they just claim to meet CJ4 specs, not actual API certified.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Rotella

Does the job of the fancier "motorcycle" oils without the added cost.

Blain's Farm & Fleet Diesel Oil

Does the job of Rotella without the added cost.

I use Valvoline oils . Either their MC 20/50 wt , or their VR-1 racing oil in the motor. Rotella in the primary. And 75/90 wt gear oil in the trans. I used them because they cost less then boutique oils, and they really work . Over 60k miles on my current bike, and over 100k on 2 other Harley's. Never any oil related failures or excessive usage. Isn't that the best you can ask for in any oil?.,,

I just switched to Amsoil 20w-40 for my Vic. . . I didn't expect to find any discernible difference between it and the Vic oil I was running previously, and at first I didn't notice any difference. Now that ambient temps have crept into the 80s-90s, I've noticed that my bike shifts markedly better on the Amsoil and the engine makes less top-end noise (in high temp conditions). I've got about 1500 miles on the Amsoil and the shifting just seems to get better every day. Will it stay consistently better?. . .stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: KzMitch
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Rotella

Does the job of the fancier "motorcycle" oils without the added cost.

Blain's Farm & Fleet Diesel Oil

Does the job of Rotella without the added cost.

Never heard of the stuff, probably not available in Canada

Motul 5100. Available more or less everywhere across the country and it has been working very well for me.

Spectro Platinum 4 15W50, a batch blended PAO and ester formulation that complies with API SL and JASO MA2.

I use the Mercury Quick Silver 20w50 in my bike. I use it because available at Walmart. I have been impressed with Quick Silver oils in my two stroke engines with extreme cleanliness at tear down and long life. So far it's working well.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
What is it and why?

Yes, I do: it is "whatever non-synthetic 10W-40 is on sale," and I use it because my Burg does not seem to like synthetic oil.

Last couple of changes using Bel-Ray semi 10w40,engine on my XJR1300 is very smooth & quiet using this oil.
Cheaper than Motul,Mobil,Ipone etc oils, at least in Australia.

Mobil delvac le 5w-30, because it is hard core for big rig and hard core for car and it isn't afraid to show it off by passing the whim of an engine maker for no better reason then getting a yep this oil does indeed work well in my engine from engine maker .

I use 15W-50 synthetic in my air-cooled BMW's (Mobil or Valvoline/NAPA usually) with great results. Some say you need the ZDDP additives to keep you camshaft and lifters happy, but I haven't experienced a problem. In water cooled wet clutch bikes I've used Rotella and Chevron Delo with zero problems.

Mobil Delvac MX 15w-40 is my favourite right now.
Gear shifts feel great and the clutch is grabbier, which I learned to like. Actually miss it now that I use the Meguin 10w-60.

I just became aware of Mobil 1 10W-60, may be a good option for looser air cooled engines like my airheads.

Originally Posted By: Samzone
I just became aware of Mobil 1 10W-60, may be a good option for looser air cooled engines like my airheads.

Never seen any of that on American shelves, so it is not too common. I know it has been sold in Europe for a long time.

Of course Redline sells a motorycle 10w60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back